Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
The Baku Court of Appeal on Wednesday continued the trial on an appeal filed by Director of Institute of Peace and Democracy Leyla Yunus and his spouse Arif Yunus against the verdict of the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
The Yunus’ lawyer Elchin Sadigov addressed the hearing presided over by judge Mirpasha Huseynov, APA reported.
He said that the Yunus cannot attend the hearing as they are undergoing treatment abroad. The lawyer asked the court to ensure their online participation in the hearing via Internet. The court rejected the petition. The judge passed a decision that they are to be forcibly brought to the trial.
The trial will continue on May 31.
Leyla and Arif Yunus are charged under article 178.3.2 (swindle with causing damage in the large size) of the Criminal Code.
On 13 August, the Baku Court of Grave Crimes sentenced Leyla Yunus to 8 years and 6 months in prison and Arif Yunus to 7 years in prison. The verdict also included the seizure of their property and transferring of their funds in their bank accounts to state account. They filed an appeal against the verdict.
At the hearing held on November 12, 2015, the Court of Appeal changed the pretrial detention. Arif Yunus was then released on recognizance not to leave.
On December 9, 2015, Baku Court of Appeal passed a decision, declaring 8.5-year imprisonment Leyla Yunus is sentenced to conditional, with five years of probation. Her pretrial detention was annulled and she was released in the courtroom.
Both are in the Netherlands at present.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 01.05.2017Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh