Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
The Baku Court of Appeal on Wednesday began the trial on an appeal filed by Director of Institute of Peace and Democracy Leyla Yunus and his spouse Arif Yunus against the verdict of the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
The couple’s attorney, Elchin Sadigov, asked for copies of the 300-page documents related to the case, APA reported
The court granted the motion and gave him the documents.
Prosecutor Abbas Abbasli asked the court to permit the couple to take part in the process.
The court said it will consider this appeal in the next trial on May 3.
Leyla and Arif Yunus are charged under article 178.3.2 (swindle with causing damage in the large size) of the Criminal Code.
On 13 August, the Baku Court on Grave Crimes sentenced Leyla Yunus to 8 years and 6 months in prison and Arif Yunus to 7 years in prison. The verdict also included the seizure of their property and transferring of their funds in their bank accounts to state account. They filed an appeal against the verdict.
At the hearing held on November 12, 2015, the Court of Appeal changed the pretrial detention. Arif Yunus was then released on recognizance not to leave.
On December 9, 2015, Baku Court of Appeal passed a decision, declaring 8.5-year imprisonment Leyla Yunus is sentenced to conditional, with five years of probation. Her pretrial detention was annulled and she was released in the courtroom.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 26.05.2017APFP deputy chairperson Gozal Bayramli detained: State Border Service
- 25.05.2017Headquarters: Another body found in Caspian Sea
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 01.05.2017Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017