Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
Baku. Shahriyar Alizade – APA. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday resumed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others, who are accused of the events of Nardaran.
At the hearing, judge Alovsat Abbasov said that the court has received an appeal from Abbas Huseynov.
The judge mentioned that his presence was ensured and warned Anar Huseynov: “If you have any objection, let your lawyers know it and appeal to us within the law.
Huseynov said that he did not violate any rules and he object that the police who testify as witnesses aggrieved persons are asked guiding questions.
Later, employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime Ramil Salmanov testified. He said that they held the operation upon the information received regarding Taleh Baghirov. He said that he disarmed Jahad Babakishizade during the operation.
Answering the prosecutor’s questions, he said that he didn’t see any child and woman in the house where the operation was held. To most questions of the lawyers, he replied ‘I don’t remember’.
Lawyer Nemat Karimli said that he suffers from a memory disorder and wanted to file a petition in this regard. However, the judge said that the petition will be discussed after the questioning is over.
Taleh Baghirov asked the witness if the operation was recorded or not. He said he didn’t see any video recording. Fuad Gahramanli said that witness gives false testimony. The judge said they heard everything: “With what you are not satisfied? An open hearing is being held and everything is being typed.
Later on Babakishizade insulted the witness, showing him unethical gestures.
The judge ordered Babakishizade out of the courtroom. The order was followed and the witness’s speech was interrupted.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov demanded an expertise for Ramil Salmanov, noting that the person’s ability to remember those incidents remains a question.
The judge said the petition would be discussed later.
Yalchin Imanov added that he wanted to have the protocols from the 22-23 September hearing, noting that the attorney on the same day appealed to the Board of Lawyers on suspicion that the protocols may have been distorted. He demanded that the complaint sent to the Board be presented to him too. The judge promised that the protocol will be presented to them once it is ready, adding that he had written to the Board a piece of information rather than complaint. He said they can obtain the letter from the Board.
Later on, Firuz Mehdiyev, an employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime, testified, saying during the operation he arrested only one person and that was Abulfaz Bunyatov.
Answering questions of the prosecutor, Mehdiyev said he does not know how many people opened fire at them. Attorney Yalchin Imanov asked him how Bunyatov got injured. The witness said he does not know how. Mehdiyev added that he only had moral suffering and did not take part.
The process will be resumed on September 30.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 29.09.2016Ukrainian prosecutor general calls Azerbaijani counterpart
- 29.09.2016Former head of Baku Telephone Network PA testifies in court
- 03.10.2016Investigation into case of Azerbaijan's communications and high tech ministry officials concludes
- 28.09.2016Prosecutor seeks 14 years for Azerbaijan citizen accused of fighting in Syria
- 28.09.2016Mother of three hangs herself in Azerbaijan’s Gobustan
- 27.09.2016Prosecutor seeks 17 years in prison for Azerbaijan Int’l Bank former head