Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday resumed the trial of Zulfugar Mikayilov, Elman Aghayev, and the other 10 persons accused over last year’s Nardaran incidents.
Defendant Elkhan Hasanov’s lawyer Ramiz Mammadov made a speech, saying the raid into the house of his defendant was illegal and thus that search protocol does not have to be used as evidence.
According to the lawyer, the head of the Lankaran district executive authority, Taleh Garashov, signed the negative reference about Elkhan Hasanov and that is why the lawyer asked that Garashov be questioned as a witness.
Defendant Elman Aghayev’s lawyer Akif Aliyev said the witnesses mentioned in the protocol prepared over the raid have been witnessed about other crimes as well. The lawyer then asked for the termination of criminal prosecution against his client.
Defendant Zulfugar Mikayilov’s lawyer Rustam Zulfugarov also asked the court to terminate the criminal prosecution against his client.
He said that the criminal case was illegal. Defendant Mikayilov stressed that they had always supported the state and been true to the principles of statehood. Mikayilov pleaded not guilty to the charges he is faced with.
The lawyer of defendant Mehman Mammadov asked the court the commute his client’s pretrial detention to house arrest. A prosecutor asked the court to reject the appeal.
The trial will be resumed on Feb. 6.
Taleh Baghirov, leader of the Muslim Unity Movement, Elman Seydamir, Zulfugar Sadraddin, and many others were arrested in an operation conducted by the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime in Baku’s Nardaran settlement on Nov. 26, 2015.
Two police officers and four Nardaran residents lost their lives during the operation.
The investigation into the case of all those detained is divided into three parts. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes completed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Deputy Chairman of the Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan (PFPA) Fuad Gahramanli and others. The trial of Baghirov’s deputy Elchin Gasimov and another group of the persons is underway.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan