Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday resumed the trial of Zulfugar Mikayilov, Elman Aghayev, and the other 10 persons accused over last year’s Nardaran incidents.
Defendant Elkhan Hasanov’s lawyer Ramiz Mammadov made a speech, saying the raid into the house of his defendant was illegal and thus that search protocol does not have to be used as evidence.
According to the lawyer, the head of the Lankaran district executive authority, Taleh Garashov, signed the negative reference about Elkhan Hasanov and that is why the lawyer asked that Garashov be questioned as a witness.
Defendant Elman Aghayev’s lawyer Akif Aliyev said the witnesses mentioned in the protocol prepared over the raid have been witnessed about other crimes as well. The lawyer then asked for the termination of criminal prosecution against his client.
Defendant Zulfugar Mikayilov’s lawyer Rustam Zulfugarov also asked the court to terminate the criminal prosecution against his client.
He said that the criminal case was illegal. Defendant Mikayilov stressed that they had always supported the state and been true to the principles of statehood. Mikayilov pleaded not guilty to the charges he is faced with.
The lawyer of defendant Mehman Mammadov asked the court the commute his client’s pretrial detention to house arrest. A prosecutor asked the court to reject the appeal.
The trial will be resumed on Feb. 6.
Taleh Baghirov, leader of the Muslim Unity Movement, Elman Seydamir, Zulfugar Sadraddin, and many others were arrested in an operation conducted by the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime in Baku’s Nardaran settlement on Nov. 26, 2015.
Two police officers and four Nardaran residents lost their lives during the operation.
The investigation into the case of all those detained is divided into three parts. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes completed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Deputy Chairman of the Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan (PFPA) Fuad Gahramanli and others. The trial of Baghirov’s deputy Elchin Gasimov and another group of the persons is underway.
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017‘Çudo Peçka’ founder arrested
- 26.07.2017Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry officials postponed
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 13.07.2017Traffic accident kills 3 and other 3 injured in Salyan
- 11.07.2017Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan’s Gizil-Agaj State Reserve
- 07.07.20172 people die of electrocution in pool, other 2 injured
- 05.07.2017Trespass attempt prevented by Azerbaijani border guards, trespasser killed
- 30.06.2017Internationally wanted Turkish citizen detained in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan