Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday resumed the trial of Zulfugar Mikayilov, Elman Aghayev, and the other 10 persons accused over last year’s Nardaran incidents.
Defendant Elkhan Hasanov’s lawyer Ramiz Mammadov made a speech, saying the raid into the house of his defendant was illegal and thus that search protocol does not have to be used as evidence.
According to the lawyer, the head of the Lankaran district executive authority, Taleh Garashov, signed the negative reference about Elkhan Hasanov and that is why the lawyer asked that Garashov be questioned as a witness.
Defendant Elman Aghayev’s lawyer Akif Aliyev said the witnesses mentioned in the protocol prepared over the raid have been witnessed about other crimes as well. The lawyer then asked for the termination of criminal prosecution against his client.
Defendant Zulfugar Mikayilov’s lawyer Rustam Zulfugarov also asked the court to terminate the criminal prosecution against his client.
He said that the criminal case was illegal. Defendant Mikayilov stressed that they had always supported the state and been true to the principles of statehood. Mikayilov pleaded not guilty to the charges he is faced with.
The lawyer of defendant Mehman Mammadov asked the court the commute his client’s pretrial detention to house arrest. A prosecutor asked the court to reject the appeal.
The trial will be resumed on Feb. 6.
Taleh Baghirov, leader of the Muslim Unity Movement, Elman Seydamir, Zulfugar Sadraddin, and many others were arrested in an operation conducted by the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime in Baku’s Nardaran settlement on Nov. 26, 2015.
Two police officers and four Nardaran residents lost their lives during the operation.
The investigation into the case of all those detained is divided into three parts. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes completed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Deputy Chairman of the Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan (PFPA) Fuad Gahramanli and others. The trial of Baghirov’s deputy Elchin Gasimov and another group of the persons is underway.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 12.04.2017Two dead, four injured after building collapses in Baku - UPDATED
- 12.04.2017Truck carrying medications worth €170,000 from Austria to Azerbaijan hijacked in Ukraine
- 12.04.2017Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky unregistered – deputy police chief
- 09.04.2017Another body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 08.04.2017Azerbaijani customs officers prevent illegal import of a statue of historical significance
- 08.04.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 07.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 06.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained
- 05.04.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 04.04.2017Eight more trucks carrying products of Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan