Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday resumed the trial of Zulfugar Mikayilov, Elman Aghayev, and the other 10 persons accused over last year’s Nardaran incidents.
Defendant Elkhan Hasanov’s lawyer Ramiz Mammadov made a speech, saying the raid into the house of his defendant was illegal and thus that search protocol does not have to be used as evidence.
According to the lawyer, the head of the Lankaran district executive authority, Taleh Garashov, signed the negative reference about Elkhan Hasanov and that is why the lawyer asked that Garashov be questioned as a witness.
Defendant Elman Aghayev’s lawyer Akif Aliyev said the witnesses mentioned in the protocol prepared over the raid have been witnessed about other crimes as well. The lawyer then asked for the termination of criminal prosecution against his client.
Defendant Zulfugar Mikayilov’s lawyer Rustam Zulfugarov also asked the court to terminate the criminal prosecution against his client.
He said that the criminal case was illegal. Defendant Mikayilov stressed that they had always supported the state and been true to the principles of statehood. Mikayilov pleaded not guilty to the charges he is faced with.
The lawyer of defendant Mehman Mammadov asked the court the commute his client’s pretrial detention to house arrest. A prosecutor asked the court to reject the appeal.
The trial will be resumed on Feb. 6.
Taleh Baghirov, leader of the Muslim Unity Movement, Elman Seydamir, Zulfugar Sadraddin, and many others were arrested in an operation conducted by the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime in Baku’s Nardaran settlement on Nov. 26, 2015.
Two police officers and four Nardaran residents lost their lives during the operation.
The investigation into the case of all those detained is divided into three parts. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes completed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Deputy Chairman of the Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan (PFPA) Fuad Gahramanli and others. The trial of Baghirov’s deputy Elchin Gasimov and another group of the persons is underway.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 29.03.2018Two detained in Baku over production of counterfeit alcoholic beverages
- 28.03.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 28.03.2018Arab tourist reported missing in Baku found
- 27.03.2018Arab tourist goes missing in Baku
- 26.03.2018Minister: 64 people killed in Russian shopping centre fire
- 26.03.2018Man showing armed resistance to police destroyed
- 26.03.2018FM: No Azerbaijani among those injured and killed in the fire broke out in Russia - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan