Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday resumed the trial of Zulfugar Mikayilov, Elman Aghayev, and the other 10 persons accused over last year’s Nardaran incidents.
Defendant Elkhan Hasanov’s lawyer Ramiz Mammadov made a speech, saying the raid into the house of his defendant was illegal and thus that search protocol does not have to be used as evidence.
According to the lawyer, the head of the Lankaran district executive authority, Taleh Garashov, signed the negative reference about Elkhan Hasanov and that is why the lawyer asked that Garashov be questioned as a witness.
Defendant Elman Aghayev’s lawyer Akif Aliyev said the witnesses mentioned in the protocol prepared over the raid have been witnessed about other crimes as well. The lawyer then asked for the termination of criminal prosecution against his client.
Defendant Zulfugar Mikayilov’s lawyer Rustam Zulfugarov also asked the court to terminate the criminal prosecution against his client.
He said that the criminal case was illegal. Defendant Mikayilov stressed that they had always supported the state and been true to the principles of statehood. Mikayilov pleaded not guilty to the charges he is faced with.
The lawyer of defendant Mehman Mammadov asked the court the commute his client’s pretrial detention to house arrest. A prosecutor asked the court to reject the appeal.
The trial will be resumed on Feb. 6.
Taleh Baghirov, leader of the Muslim Unity Movement, Elman Seydamir, Zulfugar Sadraddin, and many others were arrested in an operation conducted by the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime in Baku’s Nardaran settlement on Nov. 26, 2015.
Two police officers and four Nardaran residents lost their lives during the operation.
The investigation into the case of all those detained is divided into three parts. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes completed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Deputy Chairman of the Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan (PFPA) Fuad Gahramanli and others. The trial of Baghirov’s deputy Elchin Gasimov and another group of the persons is underway.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 24.02.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained on charges of spying for foreign country
- 24.02.2017Police detain suspect in murder of two sisters in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 24.02.2017Alexander Lapshin meets new lawyer
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani diaspora leader arrested in Russia
- 23.02.2017Family members killed in avalanche accident in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian court pronounces verdict for Azerbaijanis accused of killing police colonel, his family members
- 22.02.2017Chovdarov’s attorneys submit to court news reports about victim
- 22.02.2017Three more inmates die in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017One more Azerbaijani national killed in bus crash in Turkey’s Igdir identified - UPDATED-2
- 20.02.2017Trial postponed as Chovdarov’s health deteriorates
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted
- 16.02.2017Ukraine opens criminal case over crimes against Azerbaijanis
- 15.02.2017Three killed after train hit car in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial resumed
- 14.02.2017Ex-general of Azerbaijani MNS insults journalists - UPDATED
- 13.02.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial resumed - UPDATED
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan detains another Cameroonian charged with fraud
- 08.02.2017134 people killed, 473 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan last year
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijan detains four foreigners on fraud charges
- 06.02.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling
- 25.01.2017Ex-police officer commits suicide in Baku
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan