Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
The Azerbaijani State Migration Service and Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement on the detention of illegal migrants.
As a result of anti-migration measures taken by the State Migration Service from January 29 to February 1, it became known that since October 2017, members of an organized group had organized the arrivals of 89 Indian citizens in Baku as tourists under the pretense of providing them employment in the city, by appropriating a large amount of money from them. It was also found out that the abovementioned foreigners illegally stayed on the territory of Azerbaijan despite the expired visa periods, the statement reads.
The collected documents were sent to the Prosecutor General’s Office for the detainees’ actions to be given a legal assessment, according to the statement.
The Investigation Department for Serious Crimes of the Prosecutor General's Office initiated a criminal case under Articles 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (fraud committed by an organized group with causing major damage), 318-1.2.1 and 318-1.2.3 (repeated organization of illegal migration by organized group) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan. An investigation team consisting of employees of the Prosecutor General’s Office and Interior Ministry was set up.
The addresses of the illegal migrants and the organizers of illegal migration were raided, urgent investigative measures were taken and documents necessary for the investigation were seized.
Preliminary investigative actions revealed that Indian citizen Mohammad Shakir and others took 400-800 US dollars from each of the Indian nationals with the promise of arranging their arrivals in Azerbaijan, providing them with housing in the city and legalizing their stay in the country.
A preventive measure in the form of arrest was chosen against Pakistani citizen Sajid Fraz, Indian citizens Mohammad Shakir, Alimuddin Shaikh, SK Allarakhan, suspected of organizing illegal migration and fraudulently seizing others property.
The Embassy of India in Baku was notified through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry about those who violated Azerbaijan’s migration law.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Necessary measures being taken to release Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians: Bar Association
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow