Azerbaijani Justice Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on prisoner escape
Azerbaijan’s Justice Ministry and the Prosecutor General’s Office have issued a joint statement on the recent incident of prisoner escape.
Two convicts – Etibar Mammadov, arrested for special grave crimes, and Ali Aghami –managed to escape while being transferred to Baku on a special purpose train running from Astara to Baku on October23, said the statement.
The Justice Ministry immediately set up an operational headquarters in connection with the incident, and is taking all necessary actions in conjunction with other law enforcement authorities to locate and capture the escapees.
In order to investigate the cause of the incident and the circumstances under which it happened, a comprehensive inspection has been done.
Based on the inspection results, the Justice Minister ordered that the penitentiary service’s convoy battalion commander, Justice Lieutenant Colonel Bahruz Abdullayev, and the battalion’s acting chief of headquarters, Justice Major Hikmat Sadigov were removed from judicial authorities, while the battalion’s 2nd convoy detachment commander, Justice Captain Ruslan Zeynalov, the 3rd detachment’s commander, Justice Captain Rza Khankishiyev, and the general assistant to the chief of headquarters for convoy service, Justice Captain Rakif Mammadov were dismissed from their posts.
Moreover, the chief of the guard, Jeyhun Samadov, and other seven employees who accompanying the prisoners on the train, were also dismissed and a number of other liable employees were initiated disciplinary proceedings against.
The Investigation Department for Serious Crimes of the Prosecutor General’s Office initiated a criminal case under articles 304.2.1 (deprivation of liberty by a group of persons previously acting in concert or escape from detention or under guard) and 308.2 (abuse of power with serious consequences), set up an investigation team and carried out immediate investigative measures.
The site of the incident was thoroughly inspected by experts from the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Center for Forensic Expertise of the Ministry of Justice. In addition, material evidence was taken, eyewitnesses were interrogated and other necessary procedural measures were taken.
The preliminary investigation revealed that during the transfer of the arrested persons, the requirements of the guideline for the transfer of prisoners were not observed in relation to Etibar Mammadov and Ali Aghami, which led to the escape of the prisoners.
In this regard, the guard chief, Jeyhun Samadov, and his assistants Fuad Hajiyev and Tural Platkhanov were put in pretrial detention.
An arrest warrant in absentia was issued for Etibar Mammadov and Ali Aghami. A manhunt is underway for the escapees.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service sacks convoy battalion commander and nine others after prisoner escape
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service seizes over $71,000 from currency smugglers
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 25.10.2017Attorney: Nadir Salifov departed for Georgia after being released from prison
- 25.10.2017One detained in Azerbaijan’s Balakan over attempt to sell about 500 kg of meat of unknown origin
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijani businessman murdered in Russia