One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
One of the three Azerbaijanis, who was detained in Libya on 13 February 2016 on charges of smuggling diesel fuel, has died in prison.
Azerbaijani man, identified as Elshad Huseynov, 48, died of heart failure in prison on March 5, 2017, the deceased’s wife, Sakina Huseynova, told APA.
According to Huseynova, her husband’s body was brought to Turkey, then to Azerbaijan on March 30 thanks to the joint efforts of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and Turkish company ‘Saygı Denizcilik ve Elektrik San.’, where Azerbaijanis are working.
“To date, I had telephone conversation with my husband several times with the help of Murad Karen, a Turkish company employee,” she added.
The crew of the vessel ‘Captain Khayyam’ that included three Azerbaijanis, one Turk and four Ukrainians was detained in Libya last year on charges of smuggling gasoline.
Speaking to APA, Ali Babayev, the cousin of one of the Azerbaijani detainees Aliagha Babayev, said his relative and the other detainees are being detained in poor conditions in Libya.
Babayev said they contacted their relative in December last year through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
“We have repeatedly appealed to the Libyan embassy in Azerbaijan. However, the embassy said that the situation related to the public administration is not good there,” said Babayev, adding. “We are also in constant contact with a company employee named Murad. The company says that the government of Libya demands money in exchange for the return of the ship crew. However, the company is afraid that the crew members will not be returned after money transfer. Therefore, they require a check or a bank account.”
According to Babayev, the name of another Azerbaijan detainee is Elmikhan Baghirov.
Last year in February, three Azerbaijanis were detained in Libya. They are captain Namig Salamov, sailor Farid Aliyev and motorist Mohlud Rashidbeyli, who were traveling to Turkey to work.
They were not heard from since February 21, when they were on board “Kalkanlar 1” ship (Gebze Denizcilik company) off the Libyan coast.
Farid Aliyev’s brother Zaur Aliyev told APA that it was not until October 2016 that they finally heard from his brother.
“He called us up himself and told us that a group of Azerbaijanis had been taken hostage along with others by a rebel group called ‘Dawlah Al-Islamiyyah’ operating in Libya. Afterwards, when government forces set the hostages—including Azerbaijani ones—free in Misurata. They’re currently in prison in Misurata,” he said.
Zaur Aliyev said he last talked to his brother five or six days ago.
“We’re being told they’re going to be released but it has not happened for months. They’re not being held in good conditions therein. We, as well as the families of the other detainees, are desperately worried. The dead body has already arrived of one of them. We’re afraid that those of ours might end up like him. If it has been possible to bring back the deceased one’s body, it should also be possible to bring back those still alive,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED