One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
One of the three Azerbaijanis, who was detained in Libya on 13 February 2016 on charges of smuggling diesel fuel, has died in prison.
Azerbaijani man, identified as Elshad Huseynov, 48, died of heart failure in prison on March 5, 2017, the deceased’s wife, Sakina Huseynova, told APA.
According to Huseynova, her husband’s body was brought to Turkey, then to Azerbaijan on March 30 thanks to the joint efforts of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and Turkish company ‘Saygı Denizcilik ve Elektrik San.’, where Azerbaijanis are working.
“To date, I had telephone conversation with my husband several times with the help of Murad Karen, a Turkish company employee,” she added.
The crew of the vessel ‘Captain Khayyam’ that included three Azerbaijanis, one Turk and four Ukrainians was detained in Libya last year on charges of smuggling gasoline.
Speaking to APA, Ali Babayev, the cousin of one of the Azerbaijani detainees Aliagha Babayev, said his relative and the other detainees are being detained in poor conditions in Libya.
Babayev said they contacted their relative in December last year through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
“We have repeatedly appealed to the Libyan embassy in Azerbaijan. However, the embassy said that the situation related to the public administration is not good there,” said Babayev, adding. “We are also in constant contact with a company employee named Murad. The company says that the government of Libya demands money in exchange for the return of the ship crew. However, the company is afraid that the crew members will not be returned after money transfer. Therefore, they require a check or a bank account.”
According to Babayev, the name of another Azerbaijan detainee is Elmikhan Baghirov.
Last year in February, three Azerbaijanis were detained in Libya. They are captain Namig Salamov, sailor Farid Aliyev and motorist Mohlud Rashidbeyli, who were traveling to Turkey to work.
They were not heard from since February 21, when they were on board “Kalkanlar 1” ship (Gebze Denizcilik company) off the Libyan coast.
Farid Aliyev’s brother Zaur Aliyev told APA that it was not until October 2016 that they finally heard from his brother.
“He called us up himself and told us that a group of Azerbaijanis had been taken hostage along with others by a rebel group called ‘Dawlah Al-Islamiyyah’ operating in Libya. Afterwards, when government forces set the hostages—including Azerbaijani ones—free in Misurata. They’re currently in prison in Misurata,” he said.
Zaur Aliyev said he last talked to his brother five or six days ago.
“We’re being told they’re going to be released but it has not happened for months. They’re not being held in good conditions therein. We, as well as the families of the other detainees, are desperately worried. The dead body has already arrived of one of them. We’re afraid that those of ours might end up like him. If it has been possible to bring back the deceased one’s body, it should also be possible to bring back those still alive,” he added.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 12.04.2017Two dead, four injured after building collapses in Baku - UPDATED
- 12.04.2017Truck carrying medications worth €170,000 from Austria to Azerbaijan hijacked in Ukraine
- 12.04.2017Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky unregistered – deputy police chief
- 09.04.2017Another body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 08.04.2017Azerbaijani customs officers prevent illegal import of a statue of historical significance
- 08.04.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 07.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 06.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained
- 05.04.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 04.04.2017Eight more trucks carrying products of Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED