One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
One of the three Azerbaijanis, who was detained in Libya on 13 February 2016 on charges of smuggling diesel fuel, has died in prison.
Azerbaijani man, identified as Elshad Huseynov, 48, died of heart failure in prison on March 5, 2017, the deceased’s wife, Sakina Huseynova, told APA.
According to Huseynova, her husband’s body was brought to Turkey, then to Azerbaijan on March 30 thanks to the joint efforts of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and Turkish company ‘Saygı Denizcilik ve Elektrik San.’, where Azerbaijanis are working.
“To date, I had telephone conversation with my husband several times with the help of Murad Karen, a Turkish company employee,” she added.
The crew of the vessel ‘Captain Khayyam’ that included three Azerbaijanis, one Turk and four Ukrainians was detained in Libya last year on charges of smuggling gasoline.
Speaking to APA, Ali Babayev, the cousin of one of the Azerbaijani detainees Aliagha Babayev, said his relative and the other detainees are being detained in poor conditions in Libya.
Babayev said they contacted their relative in December last year through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
“We have repeatedly appealed to the Libyan embassy in Azerbaijan. However, the embassy said that the situation related to the public administration is not good there,” said Babayev, adding. “We are also in constant contact with a company employee named Murad. The company says that the government of Libya demands money in exchange for the return of the ship crew. However, the company is afraid that the crew members will not be returned after money transfer. Therefore, they require a check or a bank account.”
According to Babayev, the name of another Azerbaijan detainee is Elmikhan Baghirov.
Last year in February, three Azerbaijanis were detained in Libya. They are captain Namig Salamov, sailor Farid Aliyev and motorist Mohlud Rashidbeyli, who were traveling to Turkey to work.
They were not heard from since February 21, when they were on board “Kalkanlar 1” ship (Gebze Denizcilik company) off the Libyan coast.
Farid Aliyev’s brother Zaur Aliyev told APA that it was not until October 2016 that they finally heard from his brother.
“He called us up himself and told us that a group of Azerbaijanis had been taken hostage along with others by a rebel group called ‘Dawlah Al-Islamiyyah’ operating in Libya. Afterwards, when government forces set the hostages—including Azerbaijani ones—free in Misurata. They’re currently in prison in Misurata,” he said.
Zaur Aliyev said he last talked to his brother five or six days ago.
“We’re being told they’re going to be released but it has not happened for months. They’re not being held in good conditions therein. We, as well as the families of the other detainees, are desperately worried. The dead body has already arrived of one of them. We’re afraid that those of ours might end up like him. If it has been possible to bring back the deceased one’s body, it should also be possible to bring back those still alive,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED