One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
One of the three Azerbaijanis, who was detained in Libya on 13 February 2016 on charges of smuggling diesel fuel, has died in prison.
Azerbaijani man, identified as Elshad Huseynov, 48, died of heart failure in prison on March 5, 2017, the deceased’s wife, Sakina Huseynova, told APA.
According to Huseynova, her husband’s body was brought to Turkey, then to Azerbaijan on March 30 thanks to the joint efforts of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and Turkish company ‘Saygı Denizcilik ve Elektrik San.’, where Azerbaijanis are working.
“To date, I had telephone conversation with my husband several times with the help of Murad Karen, a Turkish company employee,” she added.
The crew of the vessel ‘Captain Khayyam’ that included three Azerbaijanis, one Turk and four Ukrainians was detained in Libya last year on charges of smuggling gasoline.
Speaking to APA, Ali Babayev, the cousin of one of the Azerbaijani detainees Aliagha Babayev, said his relative and the other detainees are being detained in poor conditions in Libya.
Babayev said they contacted their relative in December last year through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
“We have repeatedly appealed to the Libyan embassy in Azerbaijan. However, the embassy said that the situation related to the public administration is not good there,” said Babayev, adding. “We are also in constant contact with a company employee named Murad. The company says that the government of Libya demands money in exchange for the return of the ship crew. However, the company is afraid that the crew members will not be returned after money transfer. Therefore, they require a check or a bank account.”
According to Babayev, the name of another Azerbaijan detainee is Elmikhan Baghirov.
Last year in February, three Azerbaijanis were detained in Libya. They are captain Namig Salamov, sailor Farid Aliyev and motorist Mohlud Rashidbeyli, who were traveling to Turkey to work.
They were not heard from since February 21, when they were on board “Kalkanlar 1” ship (Gebze Denizcilik company) off the Libyan coast.
Farid Aliyev’s brother Zaur Aliyev told APA that it was not until October 2016 that they finally heard from his brother.
“He called us up himself and told us that a group of Azerbaijanis had been taken hostage along with others by a rebel group called ‘Dawlah Al-Islamiyyah’ operating in Libya. Afterwards, when government forces set the hostages—including Azerbaijani ones—free in Misurata. They’re currently in prison in Misurata,” he said.
Zaur Aliyev said he last talked to his brother five or six days ago.
“We’re being told they’re going to be released but it has not happened for months. They’re not being held in good conditions therein. We, as well as the families of the other detainees, are desperately worried. The dead body has already arrived of one of them. We’re afraid that those of ours might end up like him. If it has been possible to bring back the deceased one’s body, it should also be possible to bring back those still alive,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 21.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Balakan
- 21.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED