One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
One of the three Azerbaijanis, who was detained in Libya on 13 February 2016 on charges of smuggling diesel fuel, has died in prison.
Azerbaijani man, identified as Elshad Huseynov, 48, died of heart failure in prison on March 5, 2017, the deceased’s wife, Sakina Huseynova, told APA.
According to Huseynova, her husband’s body was brought to Turkey, then to Azerbaijan on March 30 thanks to the joint efforts of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and Turkish company ‘Saygı Denizcilik ve Elektrik San.’, where Azerbaijanis are working.
“To date, I had telephone conversation with my husband several times with the help of Murad Karen, a Turkish company employee,” she added.
The crew of the vessel ‘Captain Khayyam’ that included three Azerbaijanis, one Turk and four Ukrainians was detained in Libya last year on charges of smuggling gasoline.
Speaking to APA, Ali Babayev, the cousin of one of the Azerbaijani detainees Aliagha Babayev, said his relative and the other detainees are being detained in poor conditions in Libya.
Babayev said they contacted their relative in December last year through Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
“We have repeatedly appealed to the Libyan embassy in Azerbaijan. However, the embassy said that the situation related to the public administration is not good there,” said Babayev, adding. “We are also in constant contact with a company employee named Murad. The company says that the government of Libya demands money in exchange for the return of the ship crew. However, the company is afraid that the crew members will not be returned after money transfer. Therefore, they require a check or a bank account.”
According to Babayev, the name of another Azerbaijan detainee is Elmikhan Baghirov.
Last year in February, three Azerbaijanis were detained in Libya. They are captain Namig Salamov, sailor Farid Aliyev and motorist Mohlud Rashidbeyli, who were traveling to Turkey to work.
They were not heard from since February 21, when they were on board “Kalkanlar 1” ship (Gebze Denizcilik company) off the Libyan coast.
Farid Aliyev’s brother Zaur Aliyev told APA that it was not until October 2016 that they finally heard from his brother.
“He called us up himself and told us that a group of Azerbaijanis had been taken hostage along with others by a rebel group called ‘Dawlah Al-Islamiyyah’ operating in Libya. Afterwards, when government forces set the hostages—including Azerbaijani ones—free in Misurata. They’re currently in prison in Misurata,” he said.
Zaur Aliyev said he last talked to his brother five or six days ago.
“We’re being told they’re going to be released but it has not happened for months. They’re not being held in good conditions therein. We, as well as the families of the other detainees, are desperately worried. The dead body has already arrived of one of them. We’re afraid that those of ours might end up like him. If it has been possible to bring back the deceased one’s body, it should also be possible to bring back those still alive,” he added.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 29.03.2018Two detained in Baku over production of counterfeit alcoholic beverages
- 28.03.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 28.03.2018Arab tourist reported missing in Baku found
- 27.03.2018Arab tourist goes missing in Baku
- 26.03.2018Minister: 64 people killed in Russian shopping centre fire
- 26.03.2018Man showing armed resistance to police destroyed
- 26.03.2018FM: No Azerbaijani among those injured and killed in the fire broke out in Russia - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED