Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him.
A representative of the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies testified as an aggrieved person at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev, APA reported.
He noted that some of the defendants compensated for the damage caused. "Since the damage is not fully reimbursed, our position is not concrete yet. We ask the court to postpone the trial until the payments are made,” said the ministry representative.
The judge said that no document has been presented to them related to payments. He said that the trial will continue on June 2.
The judge added that if documents related to payments are presented to them on that day, then they will discuss the time issue.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
He asked the court to use the arrested properties of the accused persons for the purpose of compensating the damage inflicted and not to lift the arrest on them.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 17.01.2018Russian scientist returns home after detention in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Three injured as car carrying Arab tourists overturns in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan puts 34 people on Interpol wanted list on corruption charges
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Dept: Properties worth AZN 15 mln of people accused of corruption seized
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijani police seize over 5.5 kg of drugs
- 12.01.2018Afgan Mukhtarli sentenced to 6 years in prison - UPDATED
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani custom officers prevent sturgeon smuggling
- 11.01.2018Border guards detain three persons who tried to illegally leave Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Vehicle carrying film crew of Azerbaijani TV channel crashes into barrier
- 09.01.2018Austrian mountaineer says 'it would be easier to find missing Azerbaijani climbers if they equipped with special devices'
- 09.01.2018Deputy Minister: Sports club directly responsible for not providing missing mountaineers with necessary equipment
- 09.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijani mountaineers will continue – ministry
- 09.01.2018Operational headquarters created to conduct search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan holds meeting
- 09.01.2018Iranian woman, daughter detained at Baku airport with fake passports
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case after mountain climbers go missing - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan hit by earthquake
- 05.01.2018Baku police detain persons over false notification of bomb threat in hotel and storage
- 05.01.2018Prosecutor General: Persons accused of committing most resonant crimes in Azerbaijan last year exposed
- 04.01.20189 killed, 45 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents during holidays
- 03.01.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 30.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers
- 30.12.2017Cybercriminal who stole money from Azerbaijani banks detained and extradited to Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2017ANAMA specialists involved in search for missing mountain climbers
- 29.12.2017Bodies of Azerbaijanis killed in car crash in Russia brought to homeland
- 29.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Additional rescue team joins search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Search underway for missing climbers in Azerbaijan, special headquarters set up
- 27.12.2017One of missing Azerbaijani climbers is employee of Interior Ministry’s press service
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani MES releases information on missing mountain climbers
- 25.12.2017Azerbaijan businessman and son die in car crash in Russia
- 23.12.20174-magnitude quake hits Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 30.05.2017Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED