Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
Azerbaijan and Russia conducted joint search operations and prophylactic actions under the conditional name “Border” in bordering territories from May 29 to June 4, the Azerbaijani Interior Ministry told APA.
The operations were held in accordance with the agreement reached between the Azerbaijani and Russian interior ministers.
The operations were aimed at carrying out complex organizational-practical actions to expose and capture transnational organized criminals, discovering sources of illegal arms and ammunition, explosives and explosive devices, narcotics, and financial means used for illegal purposes and fulfilling decisions reached as to issues of bilateral cooperation.
As a result of the operations conducted in Russia’s border regions and Azerbaijan’s Guba, Gusar, Khachmaz, Balakan, Zagatala, Gakh, Shaki, Oghuz and Gabala districts, 29 people, wanted for committing various kinds of crimes, as well as 13 people, declared wanted by Russia, were captured and the whereabouts of 3 others believed to have gone missing were determined. In addition, 56 wanted debtors were detained.
Illegally possessed 8 automatic weapons, 13 pistols, 66 smoothbore shotguns and rifles, 53 hand grenades, 25 weapon magazines, 29 various pieces of military equipment and ammunition, 7,145 cartridges of various calibers were seized during the operations.
As a result of search operations, 15 drug-related facts were revealed, 600 grams of marijuana were removed from illegal trafficking, and 39,396 cannabis bushes weighing 10 tons of 306 kg were burnt.
Moreover, sixteen different crimes committed in border regions were disclosed.
Such complex search operations, carried out taking into account the protection of human and civil rights and freedoms, as well as in line with national interests and principles of legality of both countries, will continue in the future.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 30.05.2017Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 26.05.2017APFP deputy chairperson Gozal Bayramli detained: State Border Service
- 25.05.2017Headquarters: Another body found in Caspian Sea
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku