Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
Azerbaijan and Russia conducted joint search operations and prophylactic actions under the conditional name “Border” in bordering territories from May 29 to June 4, the Azerbaijani Interior Ministry told APA.
The operations were held in accordance with the agreement reached between the Azerbaijani and Russian interior ministers.
The operations were aimed at carrying out complex organizational-practical actions to expose and capture transnational organized criminals, discovering sources of illegal arms and ammunition, explosives and explosive devices, narcotics, and financial means used for illegal purposes and fulfilling decisions reached as to issues of bilateral cooperation.
As a result of the operations conducted in Russia’s border regions and Azerbaijan’s Guba, Gusar, Khachmaz, Balakan, Zagatala, Gakh, Shaki, Oghuz and Gabala districts, 29 people, wanted for committing various kinds of crimes, as well as 13 people, declared wanted by Russia, were captured and the whereabouts of 3 others believed to have gone missing were determined. In addition, 56 wanted debtors were detained.
Illegally possessed 8 automatic weapons, 13 pistols, 66 smoothbore shotguns and rifles, 53 hand grenades, 25 weapon magazines, 29 various pieces of military equipment and ammunition, 7,145 cartridges of various calibers were seized during the operations.
As a result of search operations, 15 drug-related facts were revealed, 600 grams of marijuana were removed from illegal trafficking, and 39,396 cannabis bushes weighing 10 tons of 306 kg were burnt.
Moreover, sixteen different crimes committed in border regions were disclosed.
Such complex search operations, carried out taking into account the protection of human and civil rights and freedoms, as well as in line with national interests and principles of legality of both countries, will continue in the future.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2017Car belonging to EU Delegation in Azerbaijan crashes in Baku
- 19.10.2017Suspects in murder of Iranian student in Baku involved in another crime, law enforcement say
- 19.10.2017Baku police arrest man who stole safe containing large amount of cash nine years ago
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani Security Service seizes counterfeit excise stamps
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 21.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Balakan
- 21.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku