Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
The Main Anti-Corruption Department under the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General held a press conference on Monday with participation of the media and NGO representatives in connection with anti-corruption measures taken in 2016.
Addressing the meeting, the department head, Kamran Aliyev, noted taht 9,360 appeals of citizens were considered in 2016.
He said 251 materials of criminal nature were investigated last year, and criminal cases were initiated on 159 (63.3%) of them, noting that administrative and disciplinary measures were taken on the acts of influence drawn up by proper prosecutors on other appeals.
“In 2016, the Main Anti-Corruption Department held some preventive measures, submitted 88 presentations to relevant bodies in order to prevent corruption, launched 12 administrative proceedings based on prosecutors’ acts on influence, officially warned 11 persons to avoid law violations,” Aliyev said.
In his speech, Kamal Jafarov, secretary of the Anti-Corruption Commission, said that 2016 was remembered with large-scale reforms.
“State bodies executed 86% of the National Anti-Corruption Action Plan and 82% of the National Action Plan on Promotion of Open Government,” he said.
“According to Transparency International's Global Corruption Barometer 2016, 79 percent of respondents said corruption is not one of main problems faced by Azerbaijan,” Jafarov added.
The Anti-Corruption Department said it will further continue taking necessary measures to ensure the rule of law, protect human rights and freedoms and combat corruption which are the most dangerous manifestations of organized crime.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 26.05.2017APFP deputy chairperson Gozal Bayramli detained: State Border Service
- 25.05.2017Headquarters: Another body found in Caspian Sea
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 01.05.2017Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 16.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan detains six officials on corruption charges