Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
Four members of a terrorist group were killed in Azerbaijan in a special operation carried out by the country's State Security Service on Jan. 31, the service told APA.
The statement further said that the group consisted of Azerbaijani citizens suspected of committing grave crimes linked to religious extremism.
The investigation confirmed the information received by the State Security Service of Azerbaijan that the group of people, who pledged loyalty to a number of terrorist organizations operating in foreign countries, acquired explosives and weapons to carry out terror acts in different parts of the country.
On Jan. 31, the State Security Service carried out a special operation to detain Azerbaijani citizens – M. Ulubeyov (“Abu Hafsa”), Q. Damirov (“Abdulqarib”), F. Sadiqov (“Abdulkhalid”), T. Almammadov and S. Mammadov (“Abdullah”) on charges of terror planning.
During the operation, four members of the terrorist group were eliminated as they resisted the security forces by opening fire with automatic rifles and pistols. Another terrorist, F. Sadiqov, was captured as a suspect.
The State Security Service continues taking all necessary investigative action on the case.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted
- 16.02.2017Ukraine opens criminal case over crimes against Azerbaijanis
- 15.02.2017Three killed after train hit car in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial resumed
- 14.02.2017Ex-general of Azerbaijani MNS insults journalists - UPDATED
- 13.02.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial resumed - UPDATED
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan detains another Cameroonian charged with fraud
- 08.02.2017134 people killed, 473 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan last year
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijan detains four foreigners on fraud charges
- 06.02.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling
- 25.01.2017Ex-police officer commits suicide in Baku
- 24.01.2017Safe containing cash stolen from non-bank credit organization’s office in Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2017Armed incident in Baku leaves one injured
- 23.01.2017Baku police detain three suspected of stealing safe containing large sum of money
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 19.01.2017Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 16.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan detains six officials on corruption charges
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2