Azerbaijan detains four foreigners on fraud charges
A group of foreign nationals has been detained in Azerbaijan’s capital on fraud charges.
The Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime received information that unknown persons received 20,000 US dollars from a citizen by fraud under the guise of turning these funds into 40,000 dollars using special chemicals, the ministry’s press service told APA on Tuesday.
As a result of a special operation carried out based on the information received, a criminal group consisting of Cameroonian citizen Aurelien Vanbo and Nigerian citizens Onuegbu Rovland, Empume Charlers and Okenchi Kingslay were detained.
The detainees in their testimonies admitted that they came to Baku on the threshold of large-scale sports competitions and events to misappropriate the money of tourists and local citizens through the abovementioned method.
Material evidences were seized from them and the house they were temporary residing in.
Necessary investigative actions are underway.
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 24.02.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained on charges of spying for foreign country
- 24.02.2017Police detain suspect in murder of two sisters in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 24.02.2017Alexander Lapshin meets new lawyer
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani diaspora leader arrested in Russia
- 23.02.2017Family members killed in avalanche accident in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian court pronounces verdict for Azerbaijanis accused of killing police colonel, his family members
- 22.02.2017Chovdarov’s attorneys submit to court news reports about victim
- 22.02.2017Three more inmates die in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017One more Azerbaijani national killed in bus crash in Turkey’s Igdir identified - UPDATED-2
- 20.02.2017Trial postponed as Chovdarov’s health deteriorates
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted
- 16.02.2017Ukraine opens criminal case over crimes against Azerbaijanis
- 15.02.2017Three killed after train hit car in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial resumed
- 14.02.2017Ex-general of Azerbaijani MNS insults journalists - UPDATED
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 02.02.2017Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling
- 25.01.2017Ex-police officer commits suicide in Baku
- 08.02.2017134 people killed, 473 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan last year
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan detains another Cameroonian charged with fraud
- 13.02.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial resumed - UPDATED
- 06.02.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day