Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
An Azerbaijani court resumed on Monday the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and other people arrested alongside him.
Following the trial, Salim Mammadov’s lawyer Javid Rzazade told journalists that the former owner of the “8km Bazaar”, Chingiz Asadov, gave testimony in the trial.
Asadov said he created the bazaar himself. “Then my brother committed a murder and we had some problems. At that time, Jafar Seyidov offered to lease the bazaar, and we agreed. I was paid for the first year and when I asked to be paid for the second year they said that they bought the bazaar. I appealed to the court and it passed a decision on my favor. They used the name of former minister Farhad Aliyev and didn’t show respect to anyone. Following the court decision, they were driven out of the bazaar. After this, Farhad Aliyev’s brother Rafig Aliyev swore me. When I responded him, Farhad Aliyev instructed Jafar and others to beat me. I was beaten up. They then ejected me from the bazaar and kidnapped my brother. I appealed to Baku City Main Police Office. Half an hour later Jafar called me up and said police could do us nothing. He said I had to give them the bazaar and the 600,000 manats I had on me. Having realized that I couldn’t deal with them, I gave the bazaar to Jafar. When Farhad and his men were arrested in 2005, I made a complaint to the MNS. Jafar was pressuring me because my wife was Armenian. Finally, I had to sell the bazaar to Akif Chovdarov and Hilal Asadov’s father-in-law. They would pay me monthly,” said Asadov.
General Hilal Asadov’s wife, Nushaba Asadova, confirmed the testimony she gave during the investigation.
The trial will be resumed on June 7.
Nushaba Asadova said in her testimony during the investigation that her father Anvar Mammadov wanted to buy the “8km Bazaar” in late 2005 and early 2006. “My husband Hilal Asadov told my father that the bazaar was put on sale. His money was not enough. Hilal gave him 80,000 dollars. My father bought half of the bazaar and registered it in his name. Another half of the bazaar was bought by Elshan Huseynov,” she noted.
Asadova added that later his father presented her the bazaar. “I don’t know whom the bazaar was bought from, and how they have registered it. Neither Hilal, nor my father told me anything. They brought documents on registering half of bazaar in my name and I signed them. 50 percent is registered in the name of Akif Chovdarov’s daughter Aida Chovdarov. Though we were the owners, the bazaar was headed by Elshan Huseynov,” she added.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017181 UXOs found in Khizi
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list after falsifying documents for getting ‘political shelter’
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan Security Service: 16 terrorists eliminated while showing armed resistance
- 14.12.2017Safe containing AZN 100K stolen from Baku resident’s house
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 1,442 people, including 423 children rendered first aid in emergencies this year
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 12371 fire accidents recorded in Azerbaijan this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani MES: 296 people rescued from drowning this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan identifies 10 people suspected of ties with foreign intelligence agencies
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 503 trespassers
- 13.12.2017Inmate dies of heart failure in Baku jail
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen carrying large amounts of narcotics detained in Georgia
- 13.12.2017Man who stole AZN 0.4mln from ATM detained
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani oilman killed by co-worker for unknown reasons
- 12.12.2017Fire erupts at residential building in Mingachevir
- 11.12.2017Mumbai to London aircraft makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head