Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
Baku’s Sabunchu district court resumed after the break the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
Victim Gadim Abilov gave testimony at the hearing.
Abilov claimed he gave 300,000 manats to Salim Mammadov, an employee of MNS.
The victim confirmed the testimony he gave during the preliminary investigation, noting that he met with Salim Mammadov on September 7, 2014 (at about 18:00-19:00pm).
Mammadov’s lawyer Javid Rzazade presented the inquiry he got from the State Security Service. According to the inquiry, Mammadov was at work on the mentioned time.
The trial will be resumed on April 19.
In his testimony during the investigation, Gadim Abilov said that Chovdarov beat and insulted him in the ministry.
“We went up to the 3rd floor, walked to the end of the corridor and entered the room.
Chovdarov, whom I have earlier seen just once, was sitting at the table. Natig Humbatov was sitting on his right and Salim Mammadov on his left. When I entered, Chovdarov stood up and started to punch and kick me without saying anything. When I wanted to resists, he tied me to a chair with a rubber rope. He took the rod and beat on my head and neck. I fainted. When I came to my sense, Chovdarov sat on his seat. He demanded me to give him 300 thousand dollars and my Range Rover car within a week. He showed me the two Makarov pistols he carried and said that otherwise, the pistols would be found on me and I would be thrown to the ministry’s basement.
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Monday resumed the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
Tofig Rajabov, who is recognized as a victim in the case, gave testimony on the episode of another victim Elchin Hajiyev, APA reported.
Rajabov said that MNS officers detained them in Nizami district, Baku when they were going to show a diamond to a man named Hasan.
“We were detained there and taken to the ministry. Later, Elchin told me that he gave money to some MNS officers. However, I did not see when he gave the money. Elchin said he was taken 80,000 manats. I didn’t believe him and therefore, our relationship was broken”, Rajabov said.
Chovdarov’s lawyers said that there are inconsistencies between his testimonies given during the investigation and the one he gave here.
Rajabov replied that during the investigation, he signed his testimony without reading.
In the courtroom Rajabov wrote down a statement that he had no demands.
The trial will continue in the afternoon.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 12.04.2017Two dead, four injured after building collapses in Baku - UPDATED
- 12.04.2017Truck carrying medications worth €170,000 from Austria to Azerbaijan hijacked in Ukraine
- 12.04.2017Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky unregistered – deputy police chief
- 09.04.2017Another body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 08.04.2017Azerbaijani customs officers prevent illegal import of a statue of historical significance
- 08.04.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 07.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 06.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained
- 05.04.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 04.04.2017Eight more trucks carrying products of Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued