Trial postponed as Chovdarov’s health deteriorates
An Azerbaijani court continued after the break the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Chovdarov’s lawyer Sadig Rasulov told reporters that victim Jahangir Alishov answered the questions, several witnesses testified. Then Chovdarov’s health deteriorated. He couldn’t participate at the trial. Thus, the trial was postponed to Feb. 22.
An Azerbaijani court on Monday resumed the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Following the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, Chovdarov's lawyers refused to give statement to journalists, APA reported.
Lawyers Kamandar Nasibov and Sadig Rasulov did not respond to questions.
Anar Gasimli, the lawyer of defendant Akif Aliyev, briefly told journalists that Jahangir Alishov, the head of “Yeni Yasamal” housing-construction cooperative, testified at the hearing as an aggrieved person. He confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
The trial will be continued in the afternoon.
In his testimony during the preliminary investigation, Alishov said that a person from the MNS, who introduced himself as Ali, Ali put a forward a condition that all property that fall to share of Nasib Aliyev in the company should be registered to the names of the persons they presented.
“I said that Nasib Aliyev has already sold the residential and non-residential areas that fall to his share and took the money. The next day, when I met with Akif Chovdarov, he demanded me to fulfill these conditions and give AZN 500,000. And out of necessity, a total of 27 contracts were drawn up with the signature of mine and Nasib Aliyev which registered 19 apartments, 4 garages, 3 non-residential areas (store) and 1 basement were registered to those citizens. And those houses had already been sold to other persons and had been paid,” Alishov added.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in Armenian ceasefire violation laid to rest
- 14.12.2017181 UXOs found in Khizi
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list after falsifying documents for getting ‘political shelter’
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan Security Service: 16 terrorists eliminated while showing armed resistance
- 14.12.2017Safe containing AZN 100K stolen from Baku resident’s house
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 1,442 people, including 423 children rendered first aid in emergencies this year
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 12371 fire accidents recorded in Azerbaijan this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani MES: 296 people rescued from drowning this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan identifies 10 people suspected of ties with foreign intelligence agencies
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 503 trespassers
- 13.12.2017Inmate dies of heart failure in Baku jail
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen carrying large amounts of narcotics detained in Georgia
- 13.12.2017Man who stole AZN 0.4mln from ATM detained
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani oilman killed by co-worker for unknown reasons
- 12.12.2017Fire erupts at residential building in Mingachevir
- 11.12.2017Mumbai to London aircraft makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.02.2017One more Azerbaijani national killed in bus crash in Turkey’s Igdir identified - UPDATED-2
- 22.02.2017Three more inmates die in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Chovdarov’s attorneys submit to court news reports about victim
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted