Trial postponed as Chovdarov’s health deteriorates
An Azerbaijani court continued after the break the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Chovdarov’s lawyer Sadig Rasulov told reporters that victim Jahangir Alishov answered the questions, several witnesses testified. Then Chovdarov’s health deteriorated. He couldn’t participate at the trial. Thus, the trial was postponed to Feb. 22.
An Azerbaijani court on Monday resumed the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Following the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, Chovdarov's lawyers refused to give statement to journalists, APA reported.
Lawyers Kamandar Nasibov and Sadig Rasulov did not respond to questions.
Anar Gasimli, the lawyer of defendant Akif Aliyev, briefly told journalists that Jahangir Alishov, the head of “Yeni Yasamal” housing-construction cooperative, testified at the hearing as an aggrieved person. He confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
The trial will be continued in the afternoon.
In his testimony during the preliminary investigation, Alishov said that a person from the MNS, who introduced himself as Ali, Ali put a forward a condition that all property that fall to share of Nasib Aliyev in the company should be registered to the names of the persons they presented.
“I said that Nasib Aliyev has already sold the residential and non-residential areas that fall to his share and took the money. The next day, when I met with Akif Chovdarov, he demanded me to fulfill these conditions and give AZN 500,000. And out of necessity, a total of 27 contracts were drawn up with the signature of mine and Nasib Aliyev which registered 19 apartments, 4 garages, 3 non-residential areas (store) and 1 basement were registered to those citizens. And those houses had already been sold to other persons and had been paid,” Alishov added.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 20.02.2017One more Azerbaijani national killed in bus crash in Turkey’s Igdir identified - UPDATED-2
- 22.02.2017Three more inmates die in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Chovdarov’s attorneys submit to court news reports about victim
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted