38 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
Over the first quarter of 2017, the Interior Ministry recorded 2,865 crimes in Baku, of which 82.3% were less grave and unlikely to pose huge public threat and 17.7% grave and especially grave.
Compared to the same period of 2016, deliberate murders decreased threefold and acts of deliberate bodily harm by 40.0%, the Baku City Main Police Department said in a statement on April 20, APA reported.
It became possible to solve 75.4% (74.4% last year) of the crimes, 73.8% (78.5%) of the grave types, and 67.7% (60.4%) of those committed under uncertain conditions, according to the statement.
88.4% (93.5% last year) of 438 crimes aimed against personality, 100% (94.4% last year) of the deliberate murders, and 100% (100% last year) of the attempts to commit deliberate murder were disclosed.
Compared to the same period of 2016, there was 1.0% progress in solving overall crimes, 5.6% in deliberate murders, 4.0% in solving those aimed against property, 40.2% in the stealing of state and municipality property, 8.4% in theft of private property, 13.6% in burglaries, 38.3% in cattle theft, 11.5% in robberies, 2.7% in brigandage, 6.6% in hooliganism, and 0.8% in fatal traffic accidents.
The use of modern information technology was of great importance in preventing and solving these crimes. Operators of "Safe City Service" of the Main Department and district police agencies detected 1,242 cases. Sixty-one criminal cases were opened on the basis of archival recordings from surveillance cameras.
43.8% of 767 (+1.3%, 336 last year) wanted suspects and 24.9% of 370 (-6.0%, 92) persons declared wanted over grave and especially grave crimes were arrested during the reporting period.
Seventeen groups comprised of 40 people responsible for 17 cases of robbery, as well as 21 groups comprised of 51 people responsible for 38 cases of home burglaries were rendered harmless.
More than 161 kg of drugs (948 kg last year) were seized in 294 cases.
During the reporting period, 44 firearms, 4 grenades, 1,319 cartridges and 31 illegally possessed and stored firearms were found and seized.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in efforts to tackle forest fires in Georgia - UPDATED
- 22.08.2017Three killed in house fire in Azerbaijan’s Lerik
- 17.08.2017APFP deputy chairperson gets jail sentence extended
- 17.08.2017Afgan Mukhtarli’s prison sentence extended
- 17.08.2017Russia extradites Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen
- 17.08.2017Information on placement of explosive in car in Baku not confirmed
- 12.08.2017Two men detained for demanding money from foreigners
- 09.08.2017Investigator of Baku City Prosecutor’s Office arrested - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.08.201713 foreigners arrested for illegally living in Azerbaijan
- 07.08.2017Lawyer: Hearing on Nail Allahverdiyev’s case held by Khatai District Court with his own participation
- 03.08.2017Russian historian-scientist summoned to Investigative Committee on basis of Armenian claims
- 31.07.2017Investigative group created over murder of 1-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 31.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office and Interior Ministry issue joint statement on crime committed in Hajigabul
- 31.07.2017Houses damaged after Armenia shells Garalar village of Tovuz
- 31.07.2017Man shouting 'Allahu Akbar' in front of US Embassy in Azerbaijan detained
- 29.07.201711-car chain-reaction crash in Baku, several injured
- 28.07.2017Boy, 9, accidentally kills girl, 7, in Azerbaijan’s Bilasuvar
- 27.07.2017Explosion at Lerik broiler factory triggered by gas leak - UPDATED
- 27.07.2017Former Directors-General of Aztelekom and AzInTelekom LLC released
- 26.07.2017‘Çudo Peçka’ founder arrested
- 26.07.2017Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry officials postponed
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus