38 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
Over the first quarter of 2017, the Interior Ministry recorded 2,865 crimes in Baku, of which 82.3% were less grave and unlikely to pose huge public threat and 17.7% grave and especially grave.
Compared to the same period of 2016, deliberate murders decreased threefold and acts of deliberate bodily harm by 40.0%, the Baku City Main Police Department said in a statement on April 20, APA reported.
It became possible to solve 75.4% (74.4% last year) of the crimes, 73.8% (78.5%) of the grave types, and 67.7% (60.4%) of those committed under uncertain conditions, according to the statement.
88.4% (93.5% last year) of 438 crimes aimed against personality, 100% (94.4% last year) of the deliberate murders, and 100% (100% last year) of the attempts to commit deliberate murder were disclosed.
Compared to the same period of 2016, there was 1.0% progress in solving overall crimes, 5.6% in deliberate murders, 4.0% in solving those aimed against property, 40.2% in the stealing of state and municipality property, 8.4% in theft of private property, 13.6% in burglaries, 38.3% in cattle theft, 11.5% in robberies, 2.7% in brigandage, 6.6% in hooliganism, and 0.8% in fatal traffic accidents.
The use of modern information technology was of great importance in preventing and solving these crimes. Operators of "Safe City Service" of the Main Department and district police agencies detected 1,242 cases. Sixty-one criminal cases were opened on the basis of archival recordings from surveillance cameras.
43.8% of 767 (+1.3%, 336 last year) wanted suspects and 24.9% of 370 (-6.0%, 92) persons declared wanted over grave and especially grave crimes were arrested during the reporting period.
Seventeen groups comprised of 40 people responsible for 17 cases of robbery, as well as 21 groups comprised of 51 people responsible for 38 cases of home burglaries were rendered harmless.
More than 161 kg of drugs (948 kg last year) were seized in 294 cases.
During the reporting period, 44 firearms, 4 grenades, 1,319 cartridges and 31 illegally possessed and stored firearms were found and seized.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus