38 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
Over the first quarter of 2017, the Interior Ministry recorded 2,865 crimes in Baku, of which 82.3% were less grave and unlikely to pose huge public threat and 17.7% grave and especially grave.
Compared to the same period of 2016, deliberate murders decreased threefold and acts of deliberate bodily harm by 40.0%, the Baku City Main Police Department said in a statement on April 20, APA reported.
It became possible to solve 75.4% (74.4% last year) of the crimes, 73.8% (78.5%) of the grave types, and 67.7% (60.4%) of those committed under uncertain conditions, according to the statement.
88.4% (93.5% last year) of 438 crimes aimed against personality, 100% (94.4% last year) of the deliberate murders, and 100% (100% last year) of the attempts to commit deliberate murder were disclosed.
Compared to the same period of 2016, there was 1.0% progress in solving overall crimes, 5.6% in deliberate murders, 4.0% in solving those aimed against property, 40.2% in the stealing of state and municipality property, 8.4% in theft of private property, 13.6% in burglaries, 38.3% in cattle theft, 11.5% in robberies, 2.7% in brigandage, 6.6% in hooliganism, and 0.8% in fatal traffic accidents.
The use of modern information technology was of great importance in preventing and solving these crimes. Operators of "Safe City Service" of the Main Department and district police agencies detected 1,242 cases. Sixty-one criminal cases were opened on the basis of archival recordings from surveillance cameras.
43.8% of 767 (+1.3%, 336 last year) wanted suspects and 24.9% of 370 (-6.0%, 92) persons declared wanted over grave and especially grave crimes were arrested during the reporting period.
Seventeen groups comprised of 40 people responsible for 17 cases of robbery, as well as 21 groups comprised of 51 people responsible for 38 cases of home burglaries were rendered harmless.
More than 161 kg of drugs (948 kg last year) were seized in 294 cases.
During the reporting period, 44 firearms, 4 grenades, 1,319 cartridges and 31 illegally possessed and stored firearms were found and seized.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 21.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Balakan
- 21.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus