30 years pass since Sumgayit events
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the Sumgayit events.
On the night of February 27 to 28, 1988, the mass riots in Sumgayit claimed the lives of 32 people—26 Armenians and 6 Azerbaijanis.
The riots were masterminded by Armenian nationalists, and Armenian provocateurs who spoke fluent Azerbaijani infiltrated to the city.
The events were part of a scenario carried by the USSR State Security Committee in collaboration with Armenians. Edward Grigoryan, who had been selected to carry out the provocation in Sumgayit, was also an Armenian who had been in prison twice. Although Ahmad Ahmadov was sentenced to capital punishment as one of the masterminds behind the riots, eyewitness testimony proves that the criminal was actually Edward Grigoryan.
During the incidents, hundreds of Azerbaijanis risked their lives by protecting Armenian troops from angry crowds.
Chairman of the USSR State Security Committee Vladimir Kryuchov also confirmed that the riots had been organized by Moscow. Backed by the USSR State Security Committee, those groups committed massacres throughout the city and responsible for the death of 26 Armenians.
Armed units that had entered the city under the command of General Krayev, watched the events from the sidelines, and intervened only on February 29. As a result, 6 Azerbaijanis were killed by tank caterpillars, 400 people were injured, 200 flats were plundered, 50 cultural and social facilities were destroyed, and more than 40 vehicles were made useless.
Almost all Armenians killed were those who had refused to transfer money to Armenian terrorist funds. Edward Grigoryan personally killed 5 Armenians, raped 8 Armenian women. However, Armenian organizations were able to save Grigoryan, who had committed such crimes, from being brought to justice. Grigoryan was sentenced to 12 years of imprisonment, but he was released a few years later. Another convicted person was Azerbaijani Ahmad Ahmadov, who was sentenced to death by the Moscow court, and the verdict was implemented.
Moreover, about 3,000 innocent Sumgayit residents were arrested for the riots. Of them, 400 were brought to administrative responsibility, while criminal cases were filed against 94 people.
Today, Armenians continue to use the Sumgayit events for their own purposes. They are trying to form a misconception about the Sumgayit events and to provoke anti-Azerbaijani sentiments.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan’s helicopter, two ships involved in search for Iranian sailor missing in Caspian Sea
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 28.02.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: Search continues for crew member of Iranian cargo ship
- 01.03.2018Armed gang members detained in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan
- 01.03.2018Supreme Court rejects appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan: Criminal cases against some people accused of spying for Armenia sent to court
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling via Caspian Sea
- 26.02.2018Armed man detained on territory of Baku port