Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
A strong fire has ripped through the Republican Drug Abuse Treatment Center in Baku, killing 24 people, according to a joint statement of the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Ministry of Emergency Situations, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Health.
The fire broke out at the center’s one-storey wooden structure at 06.10 local time.
Fire and special risky rescue crews of the Ministry of Emergency Situations, police units and medical staff were rushed to the scene.
The statement said 31 out of 55 people who were in the building were rescued. Three people were taken to hospital. The fire was extinguished at 08.30 local time.
Under the instruction of the president of Azerbaijan, the Prosecutor's General Office initiated a criminal case, and an investigative team consisting of experienced officers of the Prosecutor General's Office, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Emergency Situations was set up.
According to preliminary investigation, the fire was caused by a short circuit in the building’s electrical network.
According to preliminary data, up to 30 people died after a fire broke out in Azerbaijan's Drug Abuse Treatment Center, the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathologic Anatomy Unit of Health Ministry told APA
Four injured were hospitalized. Three of them were placed in the Toxicology Department of the Clinical Medical Center No 1 and one in the City Clinical Hospital No 3.
The fire broke out in the Republican Drug Abuse Treatment Center in the March 2 morning.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 01.03.2018Supreme Court rejects appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 01.03.2018Armed gang members detained in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan
- 28.02.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: Search continues for crew member of Iranian cargo ship
- 28.02.201830 years pass since Sumgayit events
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan: Criminal cases against some people accused of spying for Armenia sent to court
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling via Caspian Sea
- 26.02.2018Armed man detained on territory of Baku port
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan’s helicopter, two ships involved in search for Iranian sailor missing in Caspian Sea
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations