140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
Representatives of the Europe Anti-Torture Committee and the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention have paid a visit to Azerbaijan during the past year, Ogtay Mammadov, deputy chief of Azerbaijan’s Penitentiary Service, told APA on Monday.
Mammadov said conditions were created for the two organizations to do their job.
“The Europe Anti-Torture Committee’s delegation paid visits the Baku investigation isolator and investigation isolator No.2, prisons No.2 and 4. They then met Justice Minister Fikrat Mammadov and made their remarks and gave recommendations,” he said, adding. “The detected flaws were investigated upon the minister’s order. As a result, disciplinary action was taken against 10 workers of investigation isolator No.2 and prison No.4. The chief of investigation isolator No.2 was dismissed.”
According to Mammadov, during the past year the number of prisoners dropped by 709 people or 3.2%, which was possible thanks to the application of the amnesty act.
Mammadov noted that during the given period, a total of 7,579 people were released from penitentiary facilities due to varying reasons.
“This figure increased by 1,661 persons compared to 2015. Of them, 2,930 were discharged due to the completion of their term of penalty, 1,503 prematurely, 137 under pardon acts, 2,891 based on the amnesty act, 8 due to illness, and 110 for other reasons prescribed in the law,” he said.
“In 2016, 140 inmates and detainees died in penitentiary facilities,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani citizen gets 21 years in prison for murdering two in Russia
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office initiates criminal case against two escaped convicts - UPDATED-2
- 23.10.2017Woman attempts to break into Azerbaijani embassy in Moscow
- 23.10.2017Inmate dies of illness in Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Car belonging to EU Delegation in Azerbaijan crashes in Baku
- 19.10.2017Suspects in murder of Iranian student in Baku involved in another crime, law enforcement say
- 19.10.2017Baku police arrest man who stole safe containing large amount of cash nine years ago
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani Security Service seizes counterfeit excise stamps
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year