140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
Representatives of the Europe Anti-Torture Committee and the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention have paid a visit to Azerbaijan during the past year, Ogtay Mammadov, deputy chief of Azerbaijan’s Penitentiary Service, told APA on Monday.
Mammadov said conditions were created for the two organizations to do their job.
“The Europe Anti-Torture Committee’s delegation paid visits the Baku investigation isolator and investigation isolator No.2, prisons No.2 and 4. They then met Justice Minister Fikrat Mammadov and made their remarks and gave recommendations,” he said, adding. “The detected flaws were investigated upon the minister’s order. As a result, disciplinary action was taken against 10 workers of investigation isolator No.2 and prison No.4. The chief of investigation isolator No.2 was dismissed.”
According to Mammadov, during the past year the number of prisoners dropped by 709 people or 3.2%, which was possible thanks to the application of the amnesty act.
Mammadov noted that during the given period, a total of 7,579 people were released from penitentiary facilities due to varying reasons.
“This figure increased by 1,661 persons compared to 2015. Of them, 2,930 were discharged due to the completion of their term of penalty, 1,503 prematurely, 137 under pardon acts, 2,891 based on the amnesty act, 8 due to illness, and 110 for other reasons prescribed in the law,” he said.
“In 2016, 140 inmates and detainees died in penitentiary facilities,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year