Ronaldo beats Messi & Ribery to Fifa Ballon d'Or
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has claimed the Fifa Ballon d'Or, beating off competition from Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery to secure the award for a second time.
Although the 28-year-old Portuguese failed to claim a major trophy at club level, he has been crowned the world's outstanding footballer over the course of the last 12 months.
Messi had won each of the last four editions of the award, including all three since it was endorsed by Fifa, while Ribery played a pivotal part in a historic treble-winning season for the Bavarians, but Ronaldo's tally of 69 goals in 59 games for club and country in 2013 proved decisive.
Ronaldo previously won the award in 2008 as a Manchester United player, but has since finished runner-up to Messi on three occasions (in 2009, 2011 and 2012).
But as Messi missed much of 2013 through injury, Ronaldo took advantage as he helped Real reach the final of the Copa del Rey and the last four of the Champions League before signing a new deal with the capital club and enjoying his best-ever season start under new coach Carlo Ancelotti in the latter months of the year, as well as single-handedly firing Portugal to the World Cup with all four goals in his side's play-off victory against Portugal over two legs in November.
And the 28-year-old, who opened a museum in December in his native Madeira to display his personal collection of trophies, now has another Ballon d'Or to exhibit alongside his 2008 award.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2016Atletico Madrid beats Bayern Munich in Champions League semi-final
- 05.03.2016APAsport agency celebrates 9th birthday
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani judokas claim three more medals at 6th CISM Military World Games
- 10.09.2015Armenian chess players arrive in Azerbaijan
- 09.09.2015Azad Rahimov: Azerbaijan makes concession to Levon Aronian
- 18.05.2015First European Games discussed in Ethiopia
- 25.04.2015EOC reacts sharply to ‘smear campaign’ against Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2015Azerbaijan - Sport in Focus comes to the National Museum of Sport in Nice - PHOTO
- 13.10.2009Kamaladdin Heydarov re-elected as vice-president of World Taekwondo Federation
- 13.06.2014Peralta scores in Mexico's 1-0 win over Cameroon - PHOTO
- 26.09.2014Baku 2015 European Games hosts first National Olympic Committees Communications Seminar
- 12.03.2015Baku-2015: Olympic Stadium awaiting opening - REPORTAGE - PHOTO
- 14.08.2013Azerbaijani National defeats Malta in a friendly match
- 20.06.2013National team of Azerbaijan becomes European Champion in freestyle wrestling
- 23.11.2011Inter march on thanks to Trabzonspor draw