EOC reacts sharply to ‘smear campaign’ against Azerbaijan
Baku – APA. The European Olympic Committees (EOC) has made a statement sharply denying the appeal of the structure called the Coalition of Human Rights to raise the issue of human rights before the Azerbaijani government.
According to the statement, the EOC has no information about the “deplorable human rights situation” in Azerbaijan and is not going to protest against official Baku.
It is not the EOC’s place to challenge or pass judgment on the legal or political processes of a sovereign nation and, like all sports organizations, we must operate within existing political contexts, the statement said.
Of course, the EOC is committed to fulfilling our responsibility to uphold the Olympic charter. That responsibility includes guaranteeing that all accredited media in Baku to report on the European Games have the freedom to do so. We have sought assurances from the relevant authorities in Azerbaijan that the fundamental principles of the Olympic charter will be upheld throughout the European Games in June and we are satisfied with the assurances we have received. Any further discussions on the issue will continue to be conducted in private and not through the media, noted the statement.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2016Atletico Madrid beats Bayern Munich in Champions League semi-final
- 05.03.2016APAsport agency celebrates 9th birthday
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani judokas claim three more medals at 6th CISM Military World Games
- 13.06.2014Peralta scores in Mexico's 1-0 win over Cameroon - PHOTO
- 14.01.2014Ronaldo beats Messi & Ribery to Fifa Ballon d'Or
- 14.08.2013Azerbaijani National defeats Malta in a friendly match
- 20.06.2013National team of Azerbaijan becomes European Champion in freestyle wrestling
- 23.11.2011Inter march on thanks to Trabzonspor draw
- 13.10.2009Kamaladdin Heydarov re-elected as vice-president of World Taekwondo Federation
- 18.05.2015First European Games discussed in Ethiopia
- 09.09.2015Azad Rahimov: Azerbaijan makes concession to Levon Aronian
- 10.09.2015Armenian chess players arrive in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2015Azerbaijan - Sport in Focus comes to the National Museum of Sport in Nice - PHOTO
- 12.03.2015Baku-2015: Olympic Stadium awaiting opening - REPORTAGE - PHOTO
- 26.09.2014Baku 2015 European Games hosts first National Olympic Committees Communications Seminar