Baku-2015: Olympic Stadium awaiting opening - REPORTAGE - PHOTO
Minister of Youth and Sports, Azad Rahimov, told the aforesaid to reporters a few days ago.
With an Apasport correspondent at the site, we made sure once again that reports of a collapse were no more than rumors. Like in other venues to host the European Games, construction work in Baku Olympic Stadium is coming to a close, too. As a matter of fact, it’s already finished, there is just little landscaping work that is ongoing. The trees and bush to be planted around the stadium have already been brought. There cannot be a question about the speed. Despite the windy weather, everybody here is working with enthusiasm, sparing no efforts for the venue, which will host the main ceremonies of the European Games.
The stadium’s interior is completely ready. Its construction started in December 2012. After the signing of an act on readiness for use, the venue was handed over to the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
62 meters in height, the six-storey stadium covers a total area of 50 ha and stands out with its modern style of construction. Baku Olympic Stadium, which fully meets international standards, has 4 entrances and 26 others opening into the tribunes. Initiated on 6 June 2011 with the participation of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, FIFA President Joseph Blatter, UEFA President Michel Platini and AFFA President Rovnag Abdullayev, the venue has tribunes with different functions, running tracks, etc. Constructed with the most up-to-date equipment and materials, the stadium has a maximum capacity of 68,195 visitors. Spectators with disabilities have also been taken into account. The inner area of the stadium is 120,830 m². In the venue there are also VVIP, VIP, CIP, media sectors and a swimming pool. Drop-down seats stand out with their colors. Except the main square, an additional stadium was built as well, where the seats have already been installed and all other works completed.
The 4th floor of the building, equipped with armchairs, TV set, coffee tables and a round-table for meetings, is designed to serve distinguished guests.
General Manager of the venue, Ron Cameron, also expressed satisfaction with the progress of work, noting that the Operations Committee of the Baku 2015 European Games entered a new stage at the Baku Olympic Stadium.
“In general, the construction work has already been completed. Renovation work is underway. We are proceeding through the stage of preparation for the opening ceremony. This will continue till June 12,” he underlined.
The manager said a total of 82,000 m² green area will be built around the stadium and these works will not interfere with the trainings prior to the opening ceremony.
“As part of the preparation phase, about 6000 volunteers are receiving training in connection with the opening and closing ceremonies. Along with the opening and closing ceremonies, athletics tournaments will be held in the stadium. The tournaments among teams will take place on June 21-22 and the winner will be awarded a set of medals,” he noted.
“In order to test the stadium, an internal athletics tournament will be organized on June 12. It will not be open to the public,” the manager noted.
Cameron said the lawn is well tended.
“It was challenging period for us. We now need to prepare for the opening ceremony and a test tournament,” said Cameron.
Thus, we left the stadium with pleasant impressions. Following the European Games, the stadium will host the Islamic Solidarity Games in 2017 and the European Football Championship in 2020. We hope Azerbaijan national football team will triumph in the stadium constructed by Tekfen Construction and Installation Co.
- 28.04.2016Atletico Madrid beats Bayern Munich in Champions League semi-final
- 05.03.2016APAsport agency celebrates 9th birthday
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani judokas claim three more medals at 6th CISM Military World Games
- 10.09.2015Armenian chess players arrive in Azerbaijan
- 09.09.2015Azad Rahimov: Azerbaijan makes concession to Levon Aronian
- 14.08.2013Azerbaijani National defeats Malta in a friendly match
- 20.06.2013National team of Azerbaijan becomes European Champion in freestyle wrestling
- 23.11.2011Inter march on thanks to Trabzonspor draw
- 13.10.2009Kamaladdin Heydarov re-elected as vice-president of World Taekwondo Federation
- 17.03.2015Azerbaijan - Sport in Focus comes to the National Museum of Sport in Nice - PHOTO
- 25.04.2015EOC reacts sharply to ‘smear campaign’ against Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2015First European Games discussed in Ethiopia
- 26.09.2014Baku 2015 European Games hosts first National Olympic Committees Communications Seminar
- 13.06.2014Peralta scores in Mexico's 1-0 win over Cameroon - PHOTO
- 14.01.2014Ronaldo beats Messi & Ribery to Fifa Ballon d'Or