Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
The special commission members have visited the Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Yasamal district to investigate the situation surrounding the decision to demolish the mosque and had a talk with religious residents, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli told APA on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev earlier ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave directions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Gurbanli said the religious residents praised President Ilham Aliyev’s attitude towards the problem.
“The commission had a technical inspection of the mosque and had a meeting with a group of religious residents. A number of proposals were voiced as to the mosque. The problem with Haji Javad mosque will be solved on the basis of these proposals,” he said.
He added that the proposals made by the authorities represented in the special commission have to do with the areas of those authorities.
The committee chairman continued: “For example, our committee’s proposals deal with legal issues. The Caucasian Muslims Office’s proposals deal with the question of whether or not relocating the mosque would violate Sharia law. Officials of the Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct a technical examination of the mosque to check its durability. The Yasamal district executive authority deals with the issue of relocating the mosque in connection with the ongoing reconstruction work. The final decision will be made based on these proposals and necessary steps will be taken. The commission’s final opinion will be announced to the public.”
Gurbanli noted that if appropriate, a new site will be provided for the construction of a new, larger mosque.
“This building was not used as a mosque during the Soviet period, it included different departments and partitions. Depending on the final decision, in another place it will be possible to build a new mosque which will be named after the person who built it. In general, the believers said they don’t see any problem in the relocation of the mosque. Mosques have been relocated in many Muslim countries around the world. There is a difference between relocation and demolition of the mosque,” he said.
Gurbanli also clarified the registration of a religious community in Haji Javad mosque saying that 10 persons were registered in the Justice Ministry in the first years of independence.
“Following the amendment to the law on freedom of religion made in 2009, it was needed to register with signatures of 50 persons mentioning the legal address. This mosque’s community didn’t make such an initiative, its akhund was not appointed by the Caucasian Muslims Office and it operated illegally,” he added.
Related news releases
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Islamic religious figures from North Caucasian republics of Russia - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Participants of Baku int'l conference appeal to heads of states, international organizations and religious leaders
- 21.12.2017Sunnis and Shiites pray together in Azerbaijan: American rabbi
- 21.12.2017Deputy Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian Territories appeals to Muslim world
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Saudi deputy minister of Islamic affairs - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Egypt's grand mufti - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017State Committee comments on proposal of creating ‘military cemetery’
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky