Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
The special commission members have visited the Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Yasamal district to investigate the situation surrounding the decision to demolish the mosque and had a talk with religious residents, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli told APA on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev earlier ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave directions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Gurbanli said the religious residents praised President Ilham Aliyev’s attitude towards the problem.
“The commission had a technical inspection of the mosque and had a meeting with a group of religious residents. A number of proposals were voiced as to the mosque. The problem with Haji Javad mosque will be solved on the basis of these proposals,” he said.
He added that the proposals made by the authorities represented in the special commission have to do with the areas of those authorities.
The committee chairman continued: “For example, our committee’s proposals deal with legal issues. The Caucasian Muslims Office’s proposals deal with the question of whether or not relocating the mosque would violate Sharia law. Officials of the Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct a technical examination of the mosque to check its durability. The Yasamal district executive authority deals with the issue of relocating the mosque in connection with the ongoing reconstruction work. The final decision will be made based on these proposals and necessary steps will be taken. The commission’s final opinion will be announced to the public.”
Gurbanli noted that if appropriate, a new site will be provided for the construction of a new, larger mosque.
“This building was not used as a mosque during the Soviet period, it included different departments and partitions. Depending on the final decision, in another place it will be possible to build a new mosque which will be named after the person who built it. In general, the believers said they don’t see any problem in the relocation of the mosque. Mosques have been relocated in many Muslim countries around the world. There is a difference between relocation and demolition of the mosque,” he said.
Gurbanli also clarified the registration of a religious community in Haji Javad mosque saying that 10 persons were registered in the Justice Ministry in the first years of independence.
“Following the amendment to the law on freedom of religion made in 2009, it was needed to register with signatures of 50 persons mentioning the legal address. This mosque’s community didn’t make such an initiative, its akhund was not appointed by the Caucasian Muslims Office and it operated illegally,” he added.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 19.12.2016Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense
- 08.12.2016Religious community’s Baku office raided, 59 banned books seized
- 08.12.2016CMO: 1,700ha area in Shabran returned to state
- 05.12.2016Philosopher, theologian Heydar Jemal dies
- 02.12.2016President: Azerbaijan’s multicultural achievements highly appreciated by religious figures
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan cannot remain indifferent to Muslims killing one another
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives members of Supreme Religious Council of Caucasian People
- 01.12.2016Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Iran
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky