Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
The special commission members have visited the Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Yasamal district to investigate the situation surrounding the decision to demolish the mosque and had a talk with religious residents, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli told APA on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev earlier ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave directions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Gurbanli said the religious residents praised President Ilham Aliyev’s attitude towards the problem.
“The commission had a technical inspection of the mosque and had a meeting with a group of religious residents. A number of proposals were voiced as to the mosque. The problem with Haji Javad mosque will be solved on the basis of these proposals,” he said.
He added that the proposals made by the authorities represented in the special commission have to do with the areas of those authorities.
The committee chairman continued: “For example, our committee’s proposals deal with legal issues. The Caucasian Muslims Office’s proposals deal with the question of whether or not relocating the mosque would violate Sharia law. Officials of the Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct a technical examination of the mosque to check its durability. The Yasamal district executive authority deals with the issue of relocating the mosque in connection with the ongoing reconstruction work. The final decision will be made based on these proposals and necessary steps will be taken. The commission’s final opinion will be announced to the public.”
Gurbanli noted that if appropriate, a new site will be provided for the construction of a new, larger mosque.
“This building was not used as a mosque during the Soviet period, it included different departments and partitions. Depending on the final decision, in another place it will be possible to build a new mosque which will be named after the person who built it. In general, the believers said they don’t see any problem in the relocation of the mosque. Mosques have been relocated in many Muslim countries around the world. There is a difference between relocation and demolition of the mosque,” he said.
Gurbanli also clarified the registration of a religious community in Haji Javad mosque saying that 10 persons were registered in the Justice Ministry in the first years of independence.
“Following the amendment to the law on freedom of religion made in 2009, it was needed to register with signatures of 50 persons mentioning the legal address. This mosque’s community didn’t make such an initiative, its akhund was not appointed by the Caucasian Muslims Office and it operated illegally,” he added.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani State Committee comments on Georgia’s disapproval of filming conducted in St. George’s Church in Gakh
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Iftar ceremony on the occasion of holy month of Ramadan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president allocates financial assistance to religious organizations
- 16.06.2017Committee chairman: 96% of Azerbaijani population are Muslim
- 07.06.2017CMO chairman dismisses religious figure for acting against Ramadan fatwa
- 05.06.2017Saudi Arabia warns pilgrims
- 01.06.2017Newly allocated site for construction of Haji Javad mosque inspected
- 27.05.2017Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani religious community chairman dismissed for having illegal gathering - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017“Some forces try to undermine Azerbaijani model of state-religion relations”
- 24.05.2017Allahshukur Pashazade calls on religious people to steer clear of religious discrimination during sermons
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky