Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
The special commission members have visited the Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Yasamal district to investigate the situation surrounding the decision to demolish the mosque and had a talk with religious residents, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli told APA on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev earlier ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave directions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Gurbanli said the religious residents praised President Ilham Aliyev’s attitude towards the problem.
“The commission had a technical inspection of the mosque and had a meeting with a group of religious residents. A number of proposals were voiced as to the mosque. The problem with Haji Javad mosque will be solved on the basis of these proposals,” he said.
He added that the proposals made by the authorities represented in the special commission have to do with the areas of those authorities.
The committee chairman continued: “For example, our committee’s proposals deal with legal issues. The Caucasian Muslims Office’s proposals deal with the question of whether or not relocating the mosque would violate Sharia law. Officials of the Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct a technical examination of the mosque to check its durability. The Yasamal district executive authority deals with the issue of relocating the mosque in connection with the ongoing reconstruction work. The final decision will be made based on these proposals and necessary steps will be taken. The commission’s final opinion will be announced to the public.”
Gurbanli noted that if appropriate, a new site will be provided for the construction of a new, larger mosque.
“This building was not used as a mosque during the Soviet period, it included different departments and partitions. Depending on the final decision, in another place it will be possible to build a new mosque which will be named after the person who built it. In general, the believers said they don’t see any problem in the relocation of the mosque. Mosques have been relocated in many Muslim countries around the world. There is a difference between relocation and demolition of the mosque,” he said.
Gurbanli also clarified the registration of a religious community in Haji Javad mosque saying that 10 persons were registered in the Justice Ministry in the first years of independence.
“Following the amendment to the law on freedom of religion made in 2009, it was needed to register with signatures of 50 persons mentioning the legal address. This mosque’s community didn’t make such an initiative, its akhund was not appointed by the Caucasian Muslims Office and it operated illegally,” he added.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Shamakhi Juma Mosque is of great importance for entire Muslim world
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan marks Ashura Day
- 29.09.2017Representatives of Azerbaijan’s religious communities visit NATO Headquarters
- 25.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Terror attacks committed under guise of Islam are biggest injustice towards Muslims
- 22.09.2017Ashura commemorations in Azerbaijan will be held in line with fatwa – committee chairman
- 22.09.2017Month of Muharram begins
- 20.09.2017Head of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions to visit Brussels
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky