Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
The special commission members have visited the Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Yasamal district to investigate the situation surrounding the decision to demolish the mosque and had a talk with religious residents, Chairman of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli told APA on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev earlier ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave directions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Gurbanli said the religious residents praised President Ilham Aliyev’s attitude towards the problem.
“The commission had a technical inspection of the mosque and had a meeting with a group of religious residents. A number of proposals were voiced as to the mosque. The problem with Haji Javad mosque will be solved on the basis of these proposals,” he said.
He added that the proposals made by the authorities represented in the special commission have to do with the areas of those authorities.
The committee chairman continued: “For example, our committee’s proposals deal with legal issues. The Caucasian Muslims Office’s proposals deal with the question of whether or not relocating the mosque would violate Sharia law. Officials of the Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct a technical examination of the mosque to check its durability. The Yasamal district executive authority deals with the issue of relocating the mosque in connection with the ongoing reconstruction work. The final decision will be made based on these proposals and necessary steps will be taken. The commission’s final opinion will be announced to the public.”
Gurbanli noted that if appropriate, a new site will be provided for the construction of a new, larger mosque.
“This building was not used as a mosque during the Soviet period, it included different departments and partitions. Depending on the final decision, in another place it will be possible to build a new mosque which will be named after the person who built it. In general, the believers said they don’t see any problem in the relocation of the mosque. Mosques have been relocated in many Muslim countries around the world. There is a difference between relocation and demolition of the mosque,” he said.
Gurbanli also clarified the registration of a religious community in Haji Javad mosque saying that 10 persons were registered in the Justice Ministry in the first years of independence.
“Following the amendment to the law on freedom of religion made in 2009, it was needed to register with signatures of 50 persons mentioning the legal address. This mosque’s community didn’t make such an initiative, its akhund was not appointed by the Caucasian Muslims Office and it operated illegally,” he added.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Perpetrators of terrorist attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja controlled by foreign circles: State Committee
- 11.07.201841 false clerics exposed in Azerbaijan over the past year
- 09.07.2018Departure and return dates changed for Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani State Committee on Work with Religious Organization may be granted additional power
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani State Committee: Some people want to turn their house or garage into mosque
- 15.06.2018CMO chairman: There is unmatched kindness among sects in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Fitr
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates financial aid to religious organizations
- 07.06.2018President: "Representatives of all religions live as one family in Azerbaijan"
- 06.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends Iftar ceremony on occasion of holy month of Ramadan - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani State Committee warns over recitation of adhan at various times in Ramadan
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes some clerics for officiating marriage of minors
- 17.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets AIPAC and Simon Wiesenthal Center leadership in Los Angeles
- 17.05.2018Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 16.05.2018Sinai Temple of Los Angeles hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multi-faith harmony
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: President was enraged over demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: Some circles want to spark unrest in Azerbaijan at the hands of believers
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who attend luxurious ceremonies before iftar will be penalized
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: There is fake mullah problem in Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2018Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Ramadan
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Al-Quds is capital of Palestine and belongs to Muslims
- 14.05.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani citizens filled
- 30.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan increased
- 19.04.2018List of religious figures to be rendered financial support presented to Moral Values Promotion Foundation
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Haji Javad Mosque’s building - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Salman Musayev awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 06.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 04.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan reduced
- 29.03.2018Haji Javad Mosque in Baku to open this year
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: ‘What would I have to do with donation boxes?’
- 28.03.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan appeal to international community
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: Armenians who became our neighbors 200 years ago turned out to be wicked
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky