Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
The Gazi Council of the Caucasian Muslims Office (CMO) has issued a fatwa on the holy month of Ramadan.
According to the calculations conducted by the Shamakhi-based Tusi Astrophysical Observatory of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), the 1st of Ramadan—that is, when the moon appears—will fall on May 27 this year, APA reported.
The CMO, together with the ANAS Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, has compiled a special Ramadan booklet that includes the dates of the first day of Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr, salah times, as well as daily prayers specific of this month.
“It’s inadmissible of clerics and believers to use provocative and divisive calendars that belong to other denominations and are likely to provoke denominational and time disputes. We’re confident that the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations and local executive authorities will help us with this issue and control the promotion and spread of calendars compiled by the CMO that are essential in preventing denominational discrimination,” the fatwa reads.
It is also noted that Eid al-Fitr will be will celebrated on June 26 – the 1st of Shawwal with the appearance of moonrise in our territory.
The fatwa also says that the time of Zakat al-Fitr, which is the charity given to the poor at the end of the fasting in Ramadan, is the last ten days of Ramadan.
The CMO and the Scientific-Religious Council calls on believers that it is one of the major sins to sit at tables laid before Iftar.
“Believers who ignore our warning will be taken drastic measures against,” the fatwa says.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Islamic religious figures from North Caucasian republics of Russia - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Participants of Baku int'l conference appeal to heads of states, international organizations and religious leaders
- 21.12.2017Sunnis and Shiites pray together in Azerbaijan: American rabbi
- 21.12.2017Deputy Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian Territories appeals to Muslim world
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Saudi deputy minister of Islamic affairs - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Egypt's grand mufti - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017State Committee comments on proposal of creating ‘military cemetery’
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies