Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
The Gazi Council of the Caucasian Muslims Office (CMO) has issued a fatwa on the holy month of Ramadan.
According to the calculations conducted by the Shamakhi-based Tusi Astrophysical Observatory of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), the 1st of Ramadan—that is, when the moon appears—will fall on May 27 this year, APA reported.
The CMO, together with the ANAS Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, has compiled a special Ramadan booklet that includes the dates of the first day of Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr, salah times, as well as daily prayers specific of this month.
“It’s inadmissible of clerics and believers to use provocative and divisive calendars that belong to other denominations and are likely to provoke denominational and time disputes. We’re confident that the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations and local executive authorities will help us with this issue and control the promotion and spread of calendars compiled by the CMO that are essential in preventing denominational discrimination,” the fatwa reads.
It is also noted that Eid al-Fitr will be will celebrated on June 26 – the 1st of Shawwal with the appearance of moonrise in our territory.
The fatwa also says that the time of Zakat al-Fitr, which is the charity given to the poor at the end of the fasting in Ramadan, is the last ten days of Ramadan.
The CMO and the Scientific-Religious Council calls on believers that it is one of the major sins to sit at tables laid before Iftar.
“Believers who ignore our warning will be taken drastic measures against,” the fatwa says.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Shamakhi Juma Mosque is of great importance for entire Muslim world
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan marks Ashura Day
- 29.09.2017Representatives of Azerbaijan’s religious communities visit NATO Headquarters
- 25.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Terror attacks committed under guise of Islam are biggest injustice towards Muslims
- 22.09.2017Ashura commemorations in Azerbaijan will be held in line with fatwa – committee chairman
- 22.09.2017Month of Muharram begins
- 20.09.2017Head of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions to visit Brussels
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies