State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
Chairman of the Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli has shed light on the demolition of two mosques in Sovetsky locality, Baku.
Gurbanli said in a statement to APA that none of the two rundown mosques were registered.
“All old buildings are being demolished,” he said.
The committee chairman said that there was a talk with residents and that they approved of the move provided similar mosques be built elsewhere. He noted that there are some who are seeking to create a confrontation under the guise of religion.
“There used to be no more than 80 to 100 people in those mosques during Friday and Eid prayers. On other days, 15 to 20 people used to come to pray. The structure is not registered as a building or a mosque. It was built in the beginning of the past century and it has fallen into disrepair. There are four large mosques around the area which operate appropriately. Hence the people living there had no objections. They even think of it as acceptable. Those who exaggerate it are the ones who manipulate religion,” he said.
“We have major mosques, like Heydar Mosque, operating. Those who seek to prevent it are the ones provoking uproar. They have nothing to do with religious people,” he said.
It should be noted that Haji Abdulrahimbey Gulubeyov mosque has already been demolished in Sovetsky and Haji Javad mosque is expected to be demolished, too.
Related news releases
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani State Committee comments on Georgia’s disapproval of filming conducted in St. George’s Church in Gakh
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Iftar ceremony on the occasion of holy month of Ramadan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president allocates financial assistance to religious organizations
- 16.06.2017Committee chairman: 96% of Azerbaijani population are Muslim
- 07.06.2017CMO chairman dismisses religious figure for acting against Ramadan fatwa
- 05.06.2017Saudi Arabia warns pilgrims
- 01.06.2017Newly allocated site for construction of Haji Javad mosque inspected
- 27.05.2017Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani religious community chairman dismissed for having illegal gathering - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017“Some forces try to undermine Azerbaijani model of state-religion relations”
- 24.05.2017Allahshukur Pashazade calls on religious people to steer clear of religious discrimination during sermons
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity