State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
Chairman of the Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli has shed light on the demolition of two mosques in Sovetsky locality, Baku.
Gurbanli said in a statement to APA that none of the two rundown mosques were registered.
“All old buildings are being demolished,” he said.
The committee chairman said that there was a talk with residents and that they approved of the move provided similar mosques be built elsewhere. He noted that there are some who are seeking to create a confrontation under the guise of religion.
“There used to be no more than 80 to 100 people in those mosques during Friday and Eid prayers. On other days, 15 to 20 people used to come to pray. The structure is not registered as a building or a mosque. It was built in the beginning of the past century and it has fallen into disrepair. There are four large mosques around the area which operate appropriately. Hence the people living there had no objections. They even think of it as acceptable. Those who exaggerate it are the ones who manipulate religion,” he said.
“We have major mosques, like Heydar Mosque, operating. Those who seek to prevent it are the ones provoking uproar. They have nothing to do with religious people,” he said.
It should be noted that Haji Abdulrahimbey Gulubeyov mosque has already been demolished in Sovetsky and Haji Javad mosque is expected to be demolished, too.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 19.12.2016Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense
- 08.12.2016Religious community’s Baku office raided, 59 banned books seized
- 08.12.2016CMO: 1,700ha area in Shabran returned to state
- 05.12.2016Philosopher, theologian Heydar Jemal dies
- 02.12.2016President: Azerbaijan’s multicultural achievements highly appreciated by religious figures
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan cannot remain indifferent to Muslims killing one another
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives members of Supreme Religious Council of Caucasian People
- 01.12.2016Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Iran
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity