State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
Chairman of the Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli has shed light on the demolition of two mosques in Sovetsky locality, Baku.
Gurbanli said in a statement to APA that none of the two rundown mosques were registered.
“All old buildings are being demolished,” he said.
The committee chairman said that there was a talk with residents and that they approved of the move provided similar mosques be built elsewhere. He noted that there are some who are seeking to create a confrontation under the guise of religion.
“There used to be no more than 80 to 100 people in those mosques during Friday and Eid prayers. On other days, 15 to 20 people used to come to pray. The structure is not registered as a building or a mosque. It was built in the beginning of the past century and it has fallen into disrepair. There are four large mosques around the area which operate appropriately. Hence the people living there had no objections. They even think of it as acceptable. Those who exaggerate it are the ones who manipulate religion,” he said.
“We have major mosques, like Heydar Mosque, operating. Those who seek to prevent it are the ones provoking uproar. They have nothing to do with religious people,” he said.
It should be noted that Haji Abdulrahimbey Gulubeyov mosque has already been demolished in Sovetsky and Haji Javad mosque is expected to be demolished, too.
Related news releases
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Shamakhi Juma Mosque is of great importance for entire Muslim world
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan marks Ashura Day
- 29.09.2017Representatives of Azerbaijan’s religious communities visit NATO Headquarters
- 25.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Terror attacks committed under guise of Islam are biggest injustice towards Muslims
- 22.09.2017Ashura commemorations in Azerbaijan will be held in line with fatwa – committee chairman
- 22.09.2017Month of Muharram begins
- 20.09.2017Head of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions to visit Brussels
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity