State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
Chairman of the Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli has shed light on the demolition of two mosques in Sovetsky locality, Baku.
Gurbanli said in a statement to APA that none of the two rundown mosques were registered.
“All old buildings are being demolished,” he said.
The committee chairman said that there was a talk with residents and that they approved of the move provided similar mosques be built elsewhere. He noted that there are some who are seeking to create a confrontation under the guise of religion.
“There used to be no more than 80 to 100 people in those mosques during Friday and Eid prayers. On other days, 15 to 20 people used to come to pray. The structure is not registered as a building or a mosque. It was built in the beginning of the past century and it has fallen into disrepair. There are four large mosques around the area which operate appropriately. Hence the people living there had no objections. They even think of it as acceptable. Those who exaggerate it are the ones who manipulate religion,” he said.
“We have major mosques, like Heydar Mosque, operating. Those who seek to prevent it are the ones provoking uproar. They have nothing to do with religious people,” he said.
It should be noted that Haji Abdulrahimbey Gulubeyov mosque has already been demolished in Sovetsky and Haji Javad mosque is expected to be demolished, too.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Perpetrators of terrorist attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja controlled by foreign circles: State Committee
- 11.07.201841 false clerics exposed in Azerbaijan over the past year
- 09.07.2018Departure and return dates changed for Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani State Committee on Work with Religious Organization may be granted additional power
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani State Committee: Some people want to turn their house or garage into mosque
- 15.06.2018CMO chairman: There is unmatched kindness among sects in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Fitr
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates financial aid to religious organizations
- 07.06.2018President: "Representatives of all religions live as one family in Azerbaijan"
- 06.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends Iftar ceremony on occasion of holy month of Ramadan - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani State Committee warns over recitation of adhan at various times in Ramadan
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes some clerics for officiating marriage of minors
- 17.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets AIPAC and Simon Wiesenthal Center leadership in Los Angeles
- 17.05.2018Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 16.05.2018Sinai Temple of Los Angeles hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multi-faith harmony
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: President was enraged over demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: Some circles want to spark unrest in Azerbaijan at the hands of believers
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who attend luxurious ceremonies before iftar will be penalized
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: There is fake mullah problem in Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2018Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Ramadan
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Al-Quds is capital of Palestine and belongs to Muslims
- 14.05.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani citizens filled
- 30.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan increased
- 19.04.2018List of religious figures to be rendered financial support presented to Moral Values Promotion Foundation
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Haji Javad Mosque’s building - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Salman Musayev awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 06.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 04.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan reduced
- 29.03.2018Haji Javad Mosque in Baku to open this year
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: ‘What would I have to do with donation boxes?’
- 28.03.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan appeal to international community
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: Armenians who became our neighbors 200 years ago turned out to be wicked
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity