Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
The “Islamic solidarity – The Call of The Time” international conference that kicked off in Baku March 15 will make its own contributions to the Islamic world, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said in his message of greetings to conference participants.
The president’s message was read out by State Adviser on Multinational, Multicultural and Religious Affairs Kamal Abdulla.
“Azerbaijan has for a long time been home to people of different religions. The tradition of religious tolerance is still preserved in Azerbaijan,” President Aliyev said in his message.
The head of state noted that Baku is a proper place for holding such a conference.
“I’m pleased to say that after the year 2016 was declared the ‘Year of Multiculturalism’ in Azerbaijan, our people demonstrated with great enthusiasm their commitment to their history and moral values,” said President Aliyev.
“A number of international events were held in Azerbaijan during the ‘Year of Multiculturalism’. Following this, the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan, the president said in his message.
“The importance of Islamic solidarity in the modern world can first of all be seen in the restoration of harmony within Islam. This is the elimination of misunderstandings between various denominations in a scholarly way and the establishment of relations based on mutual respect and trust between all Islamic countries,” said President Aliyev.
“Islamic solidarity also means the creation of a harmony between Islam and other religions. To achieve it is to succeed in further strengthening the harmonic relations between world religions and developing good relations between Islamic and non-Islamic countries that are based on common humane values,” noted Azerbaijan’s president.
The head of state also mentioned that Azerbaijan is going to host the Islamic Solidarity Games this year.
“Islamic solidarity is vitally important and serious steps should be taken in this direction. I’m hopeful that today’s conference will make its own contributions to the Islamic world,” he said.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani religious community chairman dismissed for having illegal gathering - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017“Some forces try to undermine Azerbaijani model of state-religion relations”
- 24.05.2017Allahshukur Pashazade calls on religious people to steer clear of religious discrimination during sermons
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 19.12.2016Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity