Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
The “Islamic solidarity – The Call of The Time” international conference that kicked off in Baku March 15 will make its own contributions to the Islamic world, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said in his message of greetings to conference participants.
The president’s message was read out by State Adviser on Multinational, Multicultural and Religious Affairs Kamal Abdulla.
“Azerbaijan has for a long time been home to people of different religions. The tradition of religious tolerance is still preserved in Azerbaijan,” President Aliyev said in his message.
The head of state noted that Baku is a proper place for holding such a conference.
“I’m pleased to say that after the year 2016 was declared the ‘Year of Multiculturalism’ in Azerbaijan, our people demonstrated with great enthusiasm their commitment to their history and moral values,” said President Aliyev.
“A number of international events were held in Azerbaijan during the ‘Year of Multiculturalism’. Following this, the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan, the president said in his message.
“The importance of Islamic solidarity in the modern world can first of all be seen in the restoration of harmony within Islam. This is the elimination of misunderstandings between various denominations in a scholarly way and the establishment of relations based on mutual respect and trust between all Islamic countries,” said President Aliyev.
“Islamic solidarity also means the creation of a harmony between Islam and other religions. To achieve it is to succeed in further strengthening the harmonic relations between world religions and developing good relations between Islamic and non-Islamic countries that are based on common humane values,” noted Azerbaijan’s president.
The head of state also mentioned that Azerbaijan is going to host the Islamic Solidarity Games this year.
“Islamic solidarity is vitally important and serious steps should be taken in this direction. I’m hopeful that today’s conference will make its own contributions to the Islamic world,” he said.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 19.12.2016Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense
- 08.12.2016Religious community’s Baku office raided, 59 banned books seized
- 08.12.2016CMO: 1,700ha area in Shabran returned to state
- 05.12.2016Philosopher, theologian Heydar Jemal dies
- 02.12.2016President: Azerbaijan’s multicultural achievements highly appreciated by religious figures
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan cannot remain indifferent to Muslims killing one another
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives members of Supreme Religious Council of Caucasian People
- 01.12.2016Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Iran
- 01.12.2016“Tolerance is a state policy of Azerbaijan”
- 01.12.2016Patriarch Kirill: Representatives of all religions and nationalities live in peace in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Religious leaders play big part in restoration of peace in Caucasus
- 01.12.2016Baku hosts int’l conference on religion and multiculturalism
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan to establish ‘Sheikh-ul-Islam’ prize for journalists
- 24.11.2016Karbala, Mashhad pilgrimages from Azerbaijan should be regulated
- 22.11.2016Resolved problems of 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims, stopped on the Iran-Iraq border - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Patriarch Kirill
- 02.11.2016Over 2,100 banned religious books seized in Azerbaijan since early 2016
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan grants powers to persons conducting op against religious extremism
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan to liquidate religious organizations guilty of extremism
- 26.10.2016Several religious stores raided in Baku
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity