Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan appeal to international community
Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan have addressed a letter to the world’s religious leaders, parliaments and international organizations.
The letter was signed by Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office Sheikh-ul Islam Allahshukur Pashazadeh, Archbishop of Baku and Azerbaijan Alexander; Head of the Community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan Melih Yevdayev, and Head of the Albanian-Udi Christian Community in Azerbaijan Robert Mobili, APA reports.
In their letter, the religious leaders urge the international community to give legal assessment to the acts of genocide carried out against the Azerbaijani people by Armenia.
The letter reads that in 1905 and 1918 Armenian extremists carried out an appalling massacre of tens of thousands of Azerbaijanis in Baku, Nakhchivan, Garabagh, Shamakhi, Lankaran, Guba and other areas, destroying residential areas, historical and cultural monuments, mosques, churches and synagogues.
“In the 1920s, Zangazur, which was historical Azerbaijani land, was annexed to Armenia with no basis. In addition, an Armenian autonomy was established in Nagorno-Karabakh. Between 1948 and 1953, hundreds of thousands of Azerbaijanis were driven out of their homes. That’s how the present-day mono-ethnic Armenian Republic came into existence in the ancestral land of Azerbaijanis. In the second half of the 1980s, Armenian nationalists began a new series of aggression and ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijanis as a result of Armenian lobbyists pressuring the USSR leadership.”
The religious leaders reminded that Armenian chauvinists, taking advantage of the removal of prominent Azerbaijani statesman Heydar Aliyev from the USSR leadership, achieved the brutal expulsion of nearly 300,000 Azerbaijanis from Armenia.
“Twenty percent of Azerbaijani territory – Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding districts – were occupied in the wake of large-scale military operations; more than a million Azerbaijanis were expelled from their native lands. Armenians committed acts of vandalism in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, destroying historical, religious, cultural monuments, sanctuaries and cemeteries,” the letter says.
According to the religious leaders, the genocide perpetrated by Armenian extremists in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly in 1992 was the culmination of the atrocities they committed.
It is emphasized that in 1998 Azerbaijani President Heydar Aliyev signed an order declaring March 31 as the ‘Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
“Those who do not give a worthy response to the acts of genocide committed against Azerbaijanis by Armenian extremists, who call themselves genocide victims, should know that sooner of later justice will prevail,” the letter says.
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani State Committee warns over recitation of adhan at various times in Ramadan
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes some clerics for officiating marriage of minors
- 17.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets AIPAC and Simon Wiesenthal Center leadership in Los Angeles
- 17.05.2018Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 16.05.2018Sinai Temple of Los Angeles hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multi-faith harmony
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: President was enraged over demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: Some circles want to spark unrest in Azerbaijan at the hands of believers
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who attend luxurious ceremonies before iftar will be penalized
- 15.05.2018Allahshukur Pashazade: There is fake mullah problem in Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2018Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Ramadan
- 15.05.2018CMO chairman: Al-Quds is capital of Palestine and belongs to Muslims
- 14.05.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani citizens filled
- 30.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan increased
- 19.04.2018List of religious figures to be rendered financial support presented to Moral Values Promotion Foundation
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Haji Javad Mosque’s building - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Salman Musayev awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 06.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: ‘What would I have to do with donation boxes?’
- 29.03.2018Haji Javad Mosque in Baku to open this year
- 04.04.2018Quota for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan reduced
- 28.03.2018CMO chairman: Armenians who became our neighbors 200 years ago turned out to be wicked
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism