Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
The scheduled visit to Armenia of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has drawn criticism from believers in Azerbaijan.
The Iranian president’s planned meeting with the president of a hostile country that has occupied Azerbaijani lands runs contrary to all the principles, orientialist Sayyid Jamal Azimbeyli, who is head of Karabakh Sayyid Sanctuaries, told APA on Monday.
“The Sate of Azerbaijan and its head is the protector of our national-moral values in this country,” Azimbeyli said, strongly condemning the anti-Azerbaijan statements by certain groups in Iran as well as some state officials.
“As a believer with a well-known lineage and righteous deeds, I can say that meeting with the president of Armenia that has for centuries been hostile to Azerbaijan and has invaded its lands comes in conflict with the principles of religion as well as those of our prophet and his pious household,” he said.
Any visit by Iranian authorities, who blame Azerbaijan for meeting officials of other countries, to the country that has committed the Khojaly tragedy, has held Azerbaijani territories under occupation to this day, and kept pigs on the graves of Azerbaijani members of the People of the House (Ahl al-Bayt) of Prophet Mohammad is inadmissible, Azimbeyli said, calling on Iran’s supreme leader to prevent anti-Azerbaijani calls by using his authority.
At the same time, Iran’s religious leader should demonstrate a strict position against Armenians, who unfairly exposed the Azerbaijani people to torture, and take decisive steps regarding the Iranian president’s planned visit to Armenia, he added.
“Anti-Azerbaijani calls are often made in Tehran. Supposedly, there are some religious problems in Azerbaijan and the state pursues wrong policy,” the believer said, urging those people not to be silent about the Khojaly and Karabakh realities.
“We can comment on this issue like a religious figure and a citizen,” said Mammadov. “From religious point of view, it is inappropriate for a religious leader to visit Armenia that occupied Azerbaijani territories, committed acts of crimes against the Azerbaijani people. Thus, Rouhani’s visit should be strongly condemned.”
The scientist recalled Israeli PM’s Netanyahu’s recent visit to Azerbaijan.
“During Jummah prayer, representatives of Iranian religious leaders urged Azerbaijani young people to denounce Netanyahu’s visit to Azerbaijan. However, today in Azerbaijan no slogan is changed against Rouhani’s planned visit to Armenia. Because our country relies on the idea of tolerance,” said Mammadov.
“As Muslims, we condemn this visit. Though Armenia is predominantly Christian country, their religious beliefs are not clear. Secondly, they caused extensive damage to the Muslim community, committed a massacre. The visit by any Muslim to Armenia is considered haram,” he concluded.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will pay a visit to Armenia on Dec. 21.
The president’s office said that Rouhani will arrive in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, where he is scheduled to meet the country’s President Serzh Sargsyan and discuss the development of bilateral relations.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani State Committee comments on Georgia’s disapproval of filming conducted in St. George’s Church in Gakh
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Iftar ceremony on the occasion of holy month of Ramadan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president allocates financial assistance to religious organizations
- 16.06.2017Committee chairman: 96% of Azerbaijani population are Muslim
- 07.06.2017CMO chairman dismisses religious figure for acting against Ramadan fatwa
- 05.06.2017Saudi Arabia warns pilgrims
- 01.06.2017Newly allocated site for construction of Haji Javad mosque inspected
- 27.05.2017Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani religious community chairman dismissed for having illegal gathering - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017“Some forces try to undermine Azerbaijani model of state-religion relations”
- 24.05.2017Allahshukur Pashazade calls on religious people to steer clear of religious discrimination during sermons
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia
- 17.04.2017Special commission members visit Haji Javad mosque
- 15.04.2017Sheikhulislam: Some, under guise of religion, are trying to create tension around Haji Javad Mosque
- 12.04.2017State Committee sheds light on demolition of mosques in Baku's Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017CMO chairman comments on demolition of mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky
- 12.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to discuss excavations at Shusha mosque with Karekin II
- 12.04.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Islamic solidarity
- 10.04.2017Illegal gathering of Jehovah witnesses prevented in Baku
- 29.03.2017CMO urges int’l community to legally assess Armenia’s acts of genocide against Azerbaijanis
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense