Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
The scheduled visit to Armenia of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has drawn criticism from believers in Azerbaijan.
The Iranian president’s planned meeting with the president of a hostile country that has occupied Azerbaijani lands runs contrary to all the principles, orientialist Sayyid Jamal Azimbeyli, who is head of Karabakh Sayyid Sanctuaries, told APA on Monday.
“The Sate of Azerbaijan and its head is the protector of our national-moral values in this country,” Azimbeyli said, strongly condemning the anti-Azerbaijan statements by certain groups in Iran as well as some state officials.
“As a believer with a well-known lineage and righteous deeds, I can say that meeting with the president of Armenia that has for centuries been hostile to Azerbaijan and has invaded its lands comes in conflict with the principles of religion as well as those of our prophet and his pious household,” he said.
Any visit by Iranian authorities, who blame Azerbaijan for meeting officials of other countries, to the country that has committed the Khojaly tragedy, has held Azerbaijani territories under occupation to this day, and kept pigs on the graves of Azerbaijani members of the People of the House (Ahl al-Bayt) of Prophet Mohammad is inadmissible, Azimbeyli said, calling on Iran’s supreme leader to prevent anti-Azerbaijani calls by using his authority.
At the same time, Iran’s religious leader should demonstrate a strict position against Armenians, who unfairly exposed the Azerbaijani people to torture, and take decisive steps regarding the Iranian president’s planned visit to Armenia, he added.
“Anti-Azerbaijani calls are often made in Tehran. Supposedly, there are some religious problems in Azerbaijan and the state pursues wrong policy,” the believer said, urging those people not to be silent about the Khojaly and Karabakh realities.
“We can comment on this issue like a religious figure and a citizen,” said Mammadov. “From religious point of view, it is inappropriate for a religious leader to visit Armenia that occupied Azerbaijani territories, committed acts of crimes against the Azerbaijani people. Thus, Rouhani’s visit should be strongly condemned.”
The scientist recalled Israeli PM’s Netanyahu’s recent visit to Azerbaijan.
“During Jummah prayer, representatives of Iranian religious leaders urged Azerbaijani young people to denounce Netanyahu’s visit to Azerbaijan. However, today in Azerbaijan no slogan is changed against Rouhani’s planned visit to Armenia. Because our country relies on the idea of tolerance,” said Mammadov.
“As Muslims, we condemn this visit. Though Armenia is predominantly Christian country, their religious beliefs are not clear. Secondly, they caused extensive damage to the Muslim community, committed a massacre. The visit by any Muslim to Armenia is considered haram,” he concluded.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will pay a visit to Armenia on Dec. 21.
The president’s office said that Rouhani will arrive in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, where he is scheduled to meet the country’s President Serzh Sargsyan and discuss the development of bilateral relations.
Related news releases
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani citizens to pay for Hajj pilgrimage in installments
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani State Committee prevents import of books promoting religious radicalism
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Islamic religious figures from North Caucasian republics of Russia - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Participants of Baku int'l conference appeal to heads of states, international organizations and religious leaders
- 21.12.2017Sunnis and Shiites pray together in Azerbaijan: American rabbi
- 21.12.2017Deputy Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian Territories appeals to Muslim world
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Saudi deputy minister of Islamic affairs - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Egypt's grand mufti - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017State Committee comments on proposal of creating ‘military cemetery’
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense