Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
The scheduled visit to Armenia of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has drawn criticism from believers in Azerbaijan.
The Iranian president’s planned meeting with the president of a hostile country that has occupied Azerbaijani lands runs contrary to all the principles, orientialist Sayyid Jamal Azimbeyli, who is head of Karabakh Sayyid Sanctuaries, told APA on Monday.
“The Sate of Azerbaijan and its head is the protector of our national-moral values in this country,” Azimbeyli said, strongly condemning the anti-Azerbaijan statements by certain groups in Iran as well as some state officials.
“As a believer with a well-known lineage and righteous deeds, I can say that meeting with the president of Armenia that has for centuries been hostile to Azerbaijan and has invaded its lands comes in conflict with the principles of religion as well as those of our prophet and his pious household,” he said.
Any visit by Iranian authorities, who blame Azerbaijan for meeting officials of other countries, to the country that has committed the Khojaly tragedy, has held Azerbaijani territories under occupation to this day, and kept pigs on the graves of Azerbaijani members of the People of the House (Ahl al-Bayt) of Prophet Mohammad is inadmissible, Azimbeyli said, calling on Iran’s supreme leader to prevent anti-Azerbaijani calls by using his authority.
At the same time, Iran’s religious leader should demonstrate a strict position against Armenians, who unfairly exposed the Azerbaijani people to torture, and take decisive steps regarding the Iranian president’s planned visit to Armenia, he added.
“Anti-Azerbaijani calls are often made in Tehran. Supposedly, there are some religious problems in Azerbaijan and the state pursues wrong policy,” the believer said, urging those people not to be silent about the Khojaly and Karabakh realities.
“We can comment on this issue like a religious figure and a citizen,” said Mammadov. “From religious point of view, it is inappropriate for a religious leader to visit Armenia that occupied Azerbaijani territories, committed acts of crimes against the Azerbaijani people. Thus, Rouhani’s visit should be strongly condemned.”
The scientist recalled Israeli PM’s Netanyahu’s recent visit to Azerbaijan.
“During Jummah prayer, representatives of Iranian religious leaders urged Azerbaijani young people to denounce Netanyahu’s visit to Azerbaijan. However, today in Azerbaijan no slogan is changed against Rouhani’s planned visit to Armenia. Because our country relies on the idea of tolerance,” said Mammadov.
“As Muslims, we condemn this visit. Though Armenia is predominantly Christian country, their religious beliefs are not clear. Secondly, they caused extensive damage to the Muslim community, committed a massacre. The visit by any Muslim to Armenia is considered haram,” he concluded.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will pay a visit to Armenia on Dec. 21.
The president’s office said that Rouhani will arrive in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, where he is scheduled to meet the country’s President Serzh Sargsyan and discuss the development of bilateral relations.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2017AZN 3 million allocated to Caucasian Muslims Board
- 15.03.2017Participants of Islamic solidarity conference in Baku appeal to int’l community
- 15.03.2017Archimandrite Philaret: Azerbaijan – a good example of coexistence of various religions
- 15.03.2017Patriarch of All Georgia: Like other religions, Islam has also faced global challenges
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Islamic solidarity is vitally important
- 15.03.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promotion of Islamic Solidarity
- 14.03.2017Appeal to int’l organizations: Save Heritage of Albania’s Autocephalous Church and Turkic Christians
- 09.03.2017Baku to host int’l conference to contribute to Islamic solidarity
- 23.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade phones Georgia’s Patriarch Ilia II
- 18.02.2017CMO chairman: Europe is raising walls to keep migrants out
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani religious communities to appeal to world parliaments over Khojaly genocide
- 18.02.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: There is no conflict and sectarian discrimination among religious communities in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Father Alexander: Two percent of Azerbaijan’s population is Christians
- 16.02.2017State Committee: Some people growing abnormally religious in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2017GoMap creates web map, database of mosques in Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2017British ambassador: Azerbaijan’s tolerant environment should be a model for other countries
- 27.01.2017749 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijan announces Hajj fee
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijanis wishing to perform Hajj for second time to pay extra fee
- 10.01.2017Saudi Arabia preparing to receive 2.6 mln pilgrims
- 06.01.2017CMO chairman sends letter to Syrian mufti
- 08.12.2016Religious community’s Baku office raided, 59 banned books seized
- 08.12.2016CMO: 1,700ha area in Shabran returned to state
- 05.12.2016Philosopher, theologian Heydar Jemal dies
- 02.12.2016President: Azerbaijan’s multicultural achievements highly appreciated by religious figures
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan cannot remain indifferent to Muslims killing one another
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives members of Supreme Religious Council of Caucasian People
- 01.12.2016Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Iran
- 01.12.2016“Tolerance is a state policy of Azerbaijan”
- 01.12.2016Patriarch Kirill: Representatives of all religions and nationalities live in peace in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Religious leaders play big part in restoration of peace in Caucasus
- 01.12.2016Baku hosts int’l conference on religion and multiculturalism
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan to establish ‘Sheikh-ul-Islam’ prize for journalists
- 24.11.2016Karbala, Mashhad pilgrimages from Azerbaijan should be regulated
- 22.11.2016Resolved problems of 500 Azerbaijani pilgrims, stopped on the Iran-Iraq border - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Patriarch Kirill
- 02.11.2016Over 2,100 banned religious books seized in Azerbaijan since early 2016
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan grants powers to persons conducting op against religious extremism
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan to liquidate religious organizations guilty of extremism
- 26.10.2016Several religious stores raided in Baku
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense