Azerbaijani believers protest Hassan Rouhani’s scheduled visit to Armenia
The scheduled visit to Armenia of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has drawn criticism from believers in Azerbaijan.
The Iranian president’s planned meeting with the president of a hostile country that has occupied Azerbaijani lands runs contrary to all the principles, orientialist Sayyid Jamal Azimbeyli, who is head of Karabakh Sayyid Sanctuaries, told APA on Monday.
“The Sate of Azerbaijan and its head is the protector of our national-moral values in this country,” Azimbeyli said, strongly condemning the anti-Azerbaijan statements by certain groups in Iran as well as some state officials.
“As a believer with a well-known lineage and righteous deeds, I can say that meeting with the president of Armenia that has for centuries been hostile to Azerbaijan and has invaded its lands comes in conflict with the principles of religion as well as those of our prophet and his pious household,” he said.
Any visit by Iranian authorities, who blame Azerbaijan for meeting officials of other countries, to the country that has committed the Khojaly tragedy, has held Azerbaijani territories under occupation to this day, and kept pigs on the graves of Azerbaijani members of the People of the House (Ahl al-Bayt) of Prophet Mohammad is inadmissible, Azimbeyli said, calling on Iran’s supreme leader to prevent anti-Azerbaijani calls by using his authority.
At the same time, Iran’s religious leader should demonstrate a strict position against Armenians, who unfairly exposed the Azerbaijani people to torture, and take decisive steps regarding the Iranian president’s planned visit to Armenia, he added.
“Anti-Azerbaijani calls are often made in Tehran. Supposedly, there are some religious problems in Azerbaijan and the state pursues wrong policy,” the believer said, urging those people not to be silent about the Khojaly and Karabakh realities.
“We can comment on this issue like a religious figure and a citizen,” said Mammadov. “From religious point of view, it is inappropriate for a religious leader to visit Armenia that occupied Azerbaijani territories, committed acts of crimes against the Azerbaijani people. Thus, Rouhani’s visit should be strongly condemned.”
The scientist recalled Israeli PM’s Netanyahu’s recent visit to Azerbaijan.
“During Jummah prayer, representatives of Iranian religious leaders urged Azerbaijani young people to denounce Netanyahu’s visit to Azerbaijan. However, today in Azerbaijan no slogan is changed against Rouhani’s planned visit to Armenia. Because our country relies on the idea of tolerance,” said Mammadov.
“As Muslims, we condemn this visit. Though Armenia is predominantly Christian country, their religious beliefs are not clear. Secondly, they caused extensive damage to the Muslim community, committed a massacre. The visit by any Muslim to Armenia is considered haram,” he concluded.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will pay a visit to Armenia on Dec. 21.
The president’s office said that Rouhani will arrive in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, where he is scheduled to meet the country’s President Serzh Sargsyan and discuss the development of bilateral relations.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Shamakhi Juma Mosque is of great importance for entire Muslim world
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan marks Ashura Day
- 29.09.2017Representatives of Azerbaijan’s religious communities visit NATO Headquarters
- 25.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Terror attacks committed under guise of Islam are biggest injustice towards Muslims
- 22.09.2017Ashura commemorations in Azerbaijan will be held in line with fatwa – committee chairman
- 22.09.2017Month of Muharram begins
- 20.09.2017Head of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions to visit Brussels
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.12.2016“Among other Muslim countries, Azerbaijan has least citizens joining ISIL”
- 27.12.2016No religious community of Salafis and Nursists registered in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2016Some mullahs involved in racketeering in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan reacts to Iranian company restoring mosque in Shusha
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 10.12.2016CMO chairman: Committing terror under guise of religion is nonsense