Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
Azerbaijan is set to lift certain restrictions on foreign nationals and stateless persons leading religious ceremonies in the country.
In this regard, an amendment is proposed to be made to Article 1 of the Law on freedom of religion, APA reported.
According to the draft amendment, foreign nationals and stateless persons, except religious figures invited to Azerbaijan by a religious center, are banned from leading religious ceremonies in the country.
According to the current version of the law, foreigners and stateless persons are banned from leading religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan.
The document was tabled at a meeting of Azerbaijani Parliament’s Committee on public associations and religious organizations on April 24.
The committee chairman, Siyavush Novruzov, said that several religious communities have appealed to the committee after such a ban was imposed in October last year.
“We also think that representatives of some religious centers in various countries can lead religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan,” he added.
The draft amendment was recommended for discussion at a plenary session of the parliament.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018CMO specifies conditions for Hajj refund
- 21.02.2018Timeframe fixed for Hajj pilgrimage from Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations granted new powers
- 16.02.2018Pilgrims from Azerbaijan banned from leaving Mecca during Hajj
- 15.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijan increased up to 2,000
- 14.02.2018CMO to compensate families of deceased Hajj pilgrims
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman gives instruction to akhunds and imams
- 14.02.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 14.02.2018CMO chairman: It’d displease Allah to be dissatisfied with conditions created for believers in Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018Hajj quota for Azerbaijani pilgrims sharply reduces
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan to establish Institute of Theology
- 07.02.2018Illegal place of worship found in Khazar district
- 29.01.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry: 162 people violated freedom of religion in 2017
- 25.01.2018CMO chairman to visit Turkey
- 24.01.2018Mubariz Gurbanli: Rules regulating cemeteries and funerals ready
- 19.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 4M to Caucasian Muslims Office
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan approves action plan to combat religious extremism
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan revokes registration of 19 religious communities in 2017
- 11.01.201863 different radical books prevented from being imported to Azerbaijan
- 07.01.2018The Orthodox Christian community of Azerbaijan marks Christmas
- 29.12.201730 mln people to go on Hajj pilgrimage in coming years
- 27.12.2017State Committee: Radical groups prevented from taking roots in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani State Committee chairman stresses need for intra-Islamic dialogue
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Islamic religious figures from North Caucasian republics of Russia - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Participants of Baku int'l conference appeal to heads of states, international organizations and religious leaders
- 21.12.2017Sunnis and Shiites pray together in Azerbaijan: American rabbi
- 21.12.2017Deputy Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian Territories appeals to Muslim world
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Saudi deputy minister of Islamic affairs - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Egypt's grand mufti - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017State Committee comments on proposal of creating ‘military cemetery’
- 18.12.2017Work underway to bring remaining Azerbaijani children home from Iraq – State Committee
- 18.12.2017Religious figures to receive salary in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017State Committee: Some forces in Azerbaijan seek to add political elements into Ashura commemorations
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia organize int’l conference on interfaith dialogue - UPDATED
- 23.11.2017Karabakh conflict planted seeds of separatism, ethnic strife in post-Soviet territory – CMO chairman
- 25.10.2017Patriarch Kirill: Desecration of religious monuments is perilous for any conflict
- 18.10.2017Protocols drawn up in relation two persons for execution of illegal religious rituals in Baku
- 13.10.2017Knowledge Fund: Some families in Azerbaijan follow sectarian rules
- 13.10.2017Some websites propagate religious discrimination in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 06.10.2017Another 10 mosques entrusted to Muslim community in Georgia
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade meets with Georgian PM
- 21.04.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Number of forces linking Islam to terrorism increasing
- 21.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade visits Georgia