Allahshukur Pashazade to Karekin II: Occupied Azerbaijan lands should be liberated
He made the remarks at a meeting with Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill and Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II in Moscow on Friday, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
Pashazade expressed hope that the Moscow meeting will benefit all the peoples of the Caucasus.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has been protracted for too long. We met before, but, unfortunately, these meetings did not bring results. Civilians die not only in Nagorno-Karabakh, but also on the Azerbaijani-Armenian border. Such an approach to this conflict is unlikely to contribute to its resolution,” he said.
Pashazade said he believes that religious leaders can contribute to the resolution of this conflict. “We are religious figures, not military ones. We must find a way to solve this problem so that our peoples do not suffer.”
Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan, and the war was on the territory of Azerbaijan, the CMO head stressed. “Azerbaijani territories were occupied. I propose, under the leadership of Patriarch Kirill, to call on the leaders of our states to intensify efforts for a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict,” he said.
Pashazade underscored the need to liberate the occupation of Azerbaijani territorie.
“Millions of people cannot go to their native lands and visit the graves of their loved ones. Those territories are under occupation. There are facts proving the desecration of graves. It’s necessary to begin the process of gradual return of the regions adjacent to Nagorno-Karabakh,” he added.
Pashazade recalled that Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen of Azerbaijani origin, was taken hostage when he visited the graves of relatives.
"Hostages, captives must be released. We have to take the first step so that people can return to their homeland. We should not meet for the sake of meetings. We will live side by side, no one will go anywhere. Therefore, our meeting should give a result I once again appeal to the Armenian Catholicos not to return to the past after this meeting. I reiterate that I have high hopes for this meeting,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 14.09.2017Believers propose abolishing post of akhunds in Azerbaijani mosques
- 14.09.2017Mubariz Gurbanli, Allahshukur Pashazade differ on use of loudspeakers at mosques
- 14.09.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on month of Muharram
- 01.09.2017Georgian government’s officials visit Juma Mosque
- 01.09.2017Eid al-Adha prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 01.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Eid al-Adha
- 29.08.2017Month of Muharram to begin on September 22
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian religious leaders to meet in Moscow - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues fatwa on Eid al-Adha
- 24.08.2017First groups of Azerbaijani pilgrims leave for Hajj
- 23.08.2017Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 22.08.2017State Committee: Religious education in Azerbaijan’s secondary schools out of question
- 17.08.2017“Threats of religious radicalism in Azerbaijan have almost been eliminated”
- 15.07.2017Prayer of unity performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Heydar Mosque holds event to commemorate victims of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Prayer of unity to be performed in Baku over anniversary of Turkey coup attempt
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani mosques to commemorate Alkhanli victims
- 26.06.2017CMO chairman: Some countries interfere with our domestic affairs, seeking to create religious discrimination
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijan marks Ramadan Holiday
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on freedom of religion
- 21.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer to be performed in Azerbaijan on June 26
- 21.06.2017Committee chairman: Leading religious rituals without CMO permission ‘illegal’
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani State Committee comments on Georgia’s disapproval of filming conducted in St. George’s Church in Gakh
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Iftar ceremony on the occasion of holy month of Ramadan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president allocates financial assistance to religious organizations
- 16.06.2017Committee chairman: 96% of Azerbaijani population are Muslim
- 07.06.2017CMO chairman dismisses religious figure for acting against Ramadan fatwa
- 05.06.2017Saudi Arabia warns pilgrims
- 01.06.2017Newly allocated site for construction of Haji Javad mosque inspected
- 27.05.2017Holy month of Ramadan begins
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani religious community chairman dismissed for having illegal gathering - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017“Some forces try to undermine Azerbaijani model of state-religion relations”
- 24.05.2017Allahshukur Pashazade calls on religious people to steer clear of religious discrimination during sermons
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman urges believers not to comment on events taking place in other countries
- 24.05.2017CMO chairman: Imams and akhunds who take part in gatherings before Iftar during Ramadan will be fired
- 24.05.2017CMO warns religious people about use of Ramadan calendars
- 24.05.2017Ramadan to start on May 27 - FATWA
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament amends law on religious freedom
- 04.05.2017CMO: Ramadan to start on Mary 27
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan abolishing certain restrictions on foreigners leading religious ceremonies
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill calls for release of captives of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Armenian church in Baku
- 12.09.2017First group of Azerbaijani Hajj pilgrims returns home
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders meet in Moscow
- 07.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade leaves for Moscow to meet Catholicos Karekin II
- 05.09.2017CMO strongly condemns Myanmar’s violence against Rohingya Muslims