Ombudsman representatives inspects detention conditions of Leyla Yunus
The purpose of the monitoring was to verify the authenticity of some information revealed by representatives of civil society to the commissioner regarding the detention conditions of Leyla Yunus and treatment toward her, the press service of the Ombudsman’s Apparatus told APA.
The representatives said the cell, where Leyla Yunus is being kept, was inspected and they had private meetings with the other 5 women kept with her.
The monitoring revealed the detention conditions meet the standards, with 4.3 square meters per person (excluding the sanitary), sanitary rules are complied with, and the yard belonging to the cell is open from 10:00 to 17:00, for the rest of the day opening windows for the ventilation of the room.
The detainees, who spoke on condition of anonymity, did not complain about their detention conditions and treatment. One of the detainees, N.H., objected to mass media outlets for mentioning her name and presenting her as a person of negative characteristics, stressing it’s inadmissible and that she doesn’t smoke at all.
Leyla Yunus and 3 of her cellmates said they are not bothered by the other 2 smoking.
They also said, although acknowledging the existence of some kind of resentment between Leyla Yunus and N.H., they have not seen one of the two cause injury to the other.
While investigating the issue raised in regard with Leyla Yunus being kept together with a previously imprisoned woman, the investigators discovered that a temporary hardship had come about in relocation due to ongoing repairs in one of the buildings of the investigation isolator.
The Ministry of Justice will be informed about the results of the investigation.
Related news releases
- 02.11.2017Caspian 2017 int’l exercise kicks off in Baku
- 04.06.2016Tactical-training exercise of special forces held in Russian embassy
- 30.05.2016Fire occurred in Hajigabul, 180 Eldar pines burned
- 23.04.2016National Bank of Pakistan’s Baku branch sues state body
- 23.01.2016ICYF: “Fakhraddin Aliyev was not our employee”
- 20.01.2016Heavy blast in Kabul near Russian Embassy
- 20.01.2016Azerbaijan commemorating 20 January martyrs - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.01.2016Man found hanged in Azerbaijan’s Shaki
- 12.12.2015Ammo found on roadside in Nardaran
- 12.12.2015Azerbaijani criminal 'authority' killed in Russia
- 12.12.2015Car hits 11-year-old schoolboy in Goychay
- 12.12.2015Man accused of murdering one of Azerbaijani Diaspora leaders in Ukraine internationally declared wanted
- 12.12.2015Lerik resident kills his sister
- 16.10.2015Turkey confirms Azerbaijani citizen among Ankara bombing suspects
- 16.10.2015Bodies of two Azerbaijani businessmen who went missing in summer 2014 found in river in Russia
- 03.10.2015Advisor to APFP Chairman Mammad Ibrahim arrested
- 12.09.2015Hail in Gakh, Zagatala, Balaken seriously damages private households
- 12.09.2015Renowned professor’s two sons on Interpol search list
- 12.09.2015Azerbaijan investigating presence of its citizens among victims in Mecca
- 03.09.2015Fire occurred in Domodedovo airport, flights to Azerbaijan postponed
- 28.08.2015Man shot to death in Baku was company director - PHOTO
- 22.08.2015Interior Ministry releases official statement on incidents in Mingechevir
- 22.08.201524-year-old boy commits suicide in Saatli
- 22.08.2015Lankaran resident mysteriously knifed
- 22.08.201559-year-old man throws himself into lake in Azerbaijan
- 22.08.20151 dead, 1 injured as car turns over in Baku-Guba highway
- 21.08.2015Arson committed in refugee camp settled by Azerbaijanis in Germany - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 24.07.2015Russian nationalists’ leader killing Azerbaijani student in Russia sentenced to life imprisonment
- 16.07.2015Azerbaijani police to tighten security measures in Ramadan holiday
- 13.07.2015Criminal group members detained over embezzlement of AZN 3.4 mln from Baku citizen
- 10.07.2015Azerbaijan neutralized 142 criminal groups suspected of committing grave or especially grave crimes this year
- 06.07.2015Three people injured at plant blast in Shirvan taken to Republican Burn Center
- 02.07.2015Body of 14-year-old teen drowned at sea in Baku found
- 02.07.2015Quake hits Ganja
- 13.06.2015IRFS head Emin Huseynov leaves for Switzerland
- 13.06.2015One arrested over accident occurred in Athletes Village - OFFICIAL
- 28.05.2015Azerbaijan declares two persons internationally wanted over tax evasion
- 22.05.20154 arrested over fire accidents in Baku’s Binagadi, Khatai districts
- 21.05.2015Four more arrested over fatal fire outbreak in Baku
- 21.05.2015Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situation releases information about fire occurred in passenger train
- 22.09.2014Traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 23.09.2014Municipality chairman commits suicide in Azerbaijan - VİDEO
- 23.09.2014Azerbaijani MP’s nephew accused of murder sentenced to life imprisonment
- 18.09.2014First grader hit by car in Azerbaijan
- 17.09.2014Three employees of Prosecutor’s Office dismissed over case of former judge Hasan Aliyev, accused of fraud
- 16.09.2014Preliminary hearing held on financial irregularities detected in Azerbaijan University of Languages