SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views construction progress at carbamide plant in Sumgayit - UPDATED
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan cuts down on gas supplies to Turkey
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: TAP construction restored
- 27.04.2017SOCAR reconsiders postponed project in Georgia
- 27.04.2017Most expensive oil imported by China falls to share of Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani president presented piece of cover of Kaaba - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017SOCAR increases gas transportation to Georgia to 10 million cubic meters
- 26.04.2017Saudi Arabian Minister: Azerbaijan is one of leading countries fulfilling obligation on output cut
- 26.04.2017SOCAR: Annual production of marketable gas in Azerbaijan to reach 40bcm
- 26.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewes world's first mechanically drilled oil well in Bibiheybat after reconstruction
- 25.04.2017SGC transportation capacity may double - SOCAR
- 25.04.2017SOCAR: 25% of expenses on Shahdeniz 2 saved
- 25.04.2017Oil output declines 7-10% per year in Azerbaijan - SOCAR
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan sells 237 million tonnes of profit oil so far
- 25.04.2017Head of LafargeHolcim steps down over company's alleged business with Islamic State
- 25.04.2017Geopolitical risks put security of oil and gas operations into question - minister
- 25.04.2017Oil output should be reduced to keep stability in market – Azerbaijani oil minister
- 25.04.2017International Caspian and Central Asia Downstream Forum - Trading, Logistics, Refining, Petrochemicals kicks off in Baku
- 24.04.2017Over 200 oilmen evacuated due to weather deterioration
- 24.04.2017Mining to be temporarily stopped in one of open pits in Gadabay - Anglo Asian CEO
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan gets 44% decline in export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.04.2017Share of Azerbaijani and Turkmen gas in Europe to reach 8%
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets 20 times rise in revenues from energy sale to Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia 14%
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan reduces oil output 10%
- 17.04.2017SOCAR reduces gas production nearly 8%
- 17.04.2017SOCAR reduces oil output nearly 15% year-on-year
- 17.04.2017President: Gasifying reached 92% in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan already become energy exporting country – president
- 15.04.2017VW says has bought, fixed more than half of polluting 2.0-liter diesels in U.S.
- 13.04.2017Decision on output cut is effective - minister
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani energy minister expresses his concern to US ambassador about developments around TAP
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan reduces export of oil products
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan triples incomes from energy export
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export 3.4 times
- 13.04.2017TAP to allow Croatia to turn into regional energy hub - minister
- 12.04.2017EBRD: Southern Gas Corridor is more sustainable than other projects
- 12.04.2017Maros Sefcovic: Southern Gas Corridor also includes EU’s interests
- 12.04.2017Caspian Energy Forum-2017 kicks off in Baku
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan to fully meet Georgia’s demand for gas
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015