SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Shamkir Automated Management and Control Center of “Azerishig” OJSC
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launched Gadabay electrical substation
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches Chichakli Hydroelectric Power Station after major overhaul
- 18.08.2017Funds allocated for reconstruction of water infrastructure in Baku’s Khazar district
- 18.08.2017ENOC realizes another supply of crude oil to Iran despite US sanctions
- 17.08.2017South Caucasus Pipeline Expansion project now ‘96% complete’
- 17.08.2017BP says SCP daily average throughput was 21.4 million cubic metres of gas per day in 1H 2017
- 17.08.2017BP: About 141 mln barrels of oil exported from Sangachal terminal in 1H 2017
- 17.08.2017ACG delivers 1.8 billion cubic metres of associated gas to SOCAR in 1H 2017
- 17.08.2017BP: Total ACG production over 14 mln tons in 1H 2017
- 16.08.2017Gas transportation from Shah Deniz field to Georgia suspended
- 14.08.2017LUKOIL and SOCAR can jointly invest in Turkish companies
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from energy export increase 3.4-fold
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan’s revenues from natural gas export increase sixfold
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijan reduces crude oil export 40%
- 09.08.2017ENOC continues to supply crude oil to Iran despite sanctions
- 08.08.2017New US sanctions on Russia increase uncertainty on European gas markets - S&P
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President to discuss natural gas transportation in Baku
- 07.08.2017ENOC sends oil to Iran despite US sanctions
- 04.08.2017Oil prices rise on strong U.S. jobs data
- 04.08.2017President: Azerbaijan turned into a reliable country supplying gas to world
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijan submits data on July’s oil output to OPEC
- 03.08.2017Power substation launched in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.08.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port announced
- 02.08.2017BTC transported more than 337 million tonnes of oil so far
- 01.08.2017SOCAR announces volume of exported oil products
- 01.08.2017SOCAR announces sale price of crude oil for last month
- 01.08.2017SOCAR exports 12 million tonnes of oil through three ports this year
- 01.08.2017Azerbaijan sells energy worth $10M to Turkey this year
- 31.07.2017Oil near two-month high as producers set to meet again
- 28.07.2017Georgian official: Baku-Supsa pipeline to operate uninterruptedly
- 27.07.2017SOCAR imports 16,000 tonnes of aircraft fuel from Saudi Arabia
- 27.07.2017Oil jumps to near eight-week high after big draw in U.S. crude stocks
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey
- 25.07.2017BP: TANAP is significant project for us
- 25.07.2017Anglo Asian Mining earns $19.4M from sale of gold
- 25.07.2017Oil extends gains as Saudi pledges export curbs
- 24.07.2017Country manager: TAP construction won’t have negative impact on environment
- 22.07.2017Oil dives 2 percent; consultant sees OPEC crude output rise in July
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev opens Pirallahi solar power plant
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015