SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijan invited to GECF energy ministers meeting
- 30.08.2016Gas production within Absheron project expected to start in near future - Azerbaijani President - UPDATED
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijan transported 5.5 bcm of Shahdeniz 2 gas to Georgia, 41 bcm to Turkey so far
- 29.08.2016Khoshbakht Yusifzade: Access to Azerbaijan’s pipelines will be cheapest way for Turkmenistan
- 29.08.2016Absheron field to produce first gas in 2019
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijan sells 224 million tonnes of profit oil this year
- 29.08.2016Petronas to explore Goshadash structure in Caspian Sea
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijan considering transportation of Iranian gas to Europe via TANAP – deputy minister
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijan plans to build new power stations
- 29.08.2016In order to increase gas production, capital flow to Azerbaijan expected to continue in future: Deputy Minister
- 29.08.2016Deputy Minister: Southern Gas Corridor opened new page in Azerbaijan’s contribution to European energy security
- 29.08.2016Baku hosting 1st IAEE Eurasian Conference
- 27.08.2016MoU on Ionian-Adriatic Pipeline signed with SOCAR
- 26.08.2016Saudi Arabia sees output freeze as ‘positive’
- 25.08.2016Canada's Zenith produces first oil in Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2016200 MWt energy transferred to Russia during accident in energy system
- 24.08.2016SOCAR to participate in negotiations of largest gas companies
- 23.08.2016Iran to increase production in South Pars gas field
- 22.08.2016EITI Multi-stakeholder Group holds next meeting
- 22.08.2016SCPX works on track of plan – BP-Azerbaijan
- 22.08.2016Number of BP-Azerbaijan’s fixed-term employees declines
- 22.08.2016SCP transports 20.1 million cubic meters of gas per day
- 22.08.2016Shahdeniz Stage 2 is now over 77% complete – BP-Azerbaijan
- 22.08.2016Shahdeniz produces 5.4 bcm of gas in January-June
- 22.08.2016BTC exports 17.3 million tonnes of crude oil in first half
- 22.08.2016Sangachal Terminal exports over 148 million barrels of oil and condensate in H1 - BP-Azerbaijan
- 22.08.2016ACG delivers an average of 1.31 bcm per day of ACG associated gas to SOCAR
- 22.08.2016ACG production for the two quarters makes on average 655,000 barrels per day
- 22.08.2016SOCAR vice president: Shahdeniz produces 30 million cubic meters of gas and 7,000 tonnes of condensate per day
- 22.08.2016Azerbaijan’s profit oil to reach 60% this year
- 18.08.2016SOCAR: Gasoline price to remain unchanged
- 17.08.2016Reasons for reduction of excise tax and customs duty on imported gasoline known
- 16.08.2016SOFAZ announces revenues from ACG, Shah Deniz fields
- 15.08.2016Azerbaijan reduces gasoline and diesel production
- 12.08.2016Up to $57M invested in Petlim this year
- 10.08.2016OPEC increases forecast on world oil demand
- 10.08.2016SOCAR 7% cuts gas production
- 10.08.2016SOCAR reduces oil output year-on-year
- 09.08.2016President awards employees of Azerishig OJSC
- 08.08.2016Bulgaria and Russia may restore South Stream
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015