SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 25.10.2016Vitol to sell 50% stake in VTTI oil tank business for $1.2bn
- 24.10.2016Croatia wants to put end to dependence on one or some energy sources
- 21.10.2016SOCAR reduces gas production 17%
- 21.10.2016SOCAR reduces oil output nearly 9%
- 21.10.2016Rosneft’s share in global oil market exceeds $5
- 21.10.2016SOFAZ's total cumulative return of property portfolio reaches 24%
- 21.10.2016SOFAZ strategic gold exchange reserves insure both financial and political risks – executive director
- 21.10.2016Croatian president: Relations with Azerbaijan are especially important to the European Union
- 20.10.2016SOCAR and Snam demand high dividend from DESFA
- 20.10.2016Minister: It’s important to apply additional amounts to the tax on energy consumption as interest
- 20.10.2016Natig Aliyev: Several important problems should be settled in a short time
- 19.10.2016Shell selling 16 upstream assets
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of “Daş Salahlı” sub-station in Qazakh
- 18.10.2016SOCAR to participate in tender for acquisition of Petrol Ofisi
- 18.10.2016OPEC to decide on inviting US to Vienna meeting after presidential elections
- 18.10.2016SOCAR: Price of gas to be transported via TAP will be adjusted for the market
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijan to save over 1 bcm of gas thanks to alternative energy
- 18.10.2016Oil price may rise to $70 in current situation - president
- 18.10.2016No regional project may compete with TANAP - president
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijan always supported Turkish Stream - president
- 18.10.2016SOCAR may issue next bonds under different conditions next year
- 18.10.2016SOCAR president: Shares of SOCAR’s joint ventures may be put up for sale
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan sees decline in crude oil production
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan sees 14% decline in gold production
- 17.10.2016SOCAR Turkey Energy sells one more part of its share in Petkim
- 17.10.2016Tenaris intends to export pipe to Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Chevron comments on sale of Azerbaijan-based assets - EKSKLÜZİV
- 14.10.2016Oil ends up; refined products draw offset U.S. crude build
- 13.10.2016Azerbaijani president attends opening of Oxygen Plant in Baku - UPDATED
- 13.10.2016Anglo Asian Mining announces earnings from gold sale
- 13.10.2016Chevron continues to sell its foreign assets
- 12.10.2016SOFAZ announces volume of dividends received from VTB
- 12.10.2016OPEC: Azerbaijan to increase oil output
- 12.10.2016Russia to transport additional 2 billion cubic meters of gas to Turkey
- 12.10.2016Ukrainian Energy Strategies Fund co-chairman: TANAP and Turkish Stream are incomparable
- 12.10.2016IEA Executive Director: In case the oil price rises, US will bring a large volume of oil on the market and the oil price will decline again - INTERVIEW
- 12.10.2016SOCAR gets 12.5% decline in budget transfers
- 12.10.2016Oil edges up before producer talks on output curbs
- 11.10.2016Oil prices to range between $55 to $70: BP's CEO Dudley
- 11.10.2016Trafigura, Vitol say among bidders for OMV Turkey fuel unit
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015