SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Vahid Alekberov comments on lawsuit between LUKOIL and Palmali Holding
- 25.05.2018LUKOIL negotiating with SOCAR on exploitation of Umid and Babek fields
- 25.05.2018Rosneft: US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal may lead to reformation of world oil market
- 22.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates high-voltage equipment plant in Baku - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Regional energy cooperation rises to a new level
- 21.05.2018BP expects demand for oil to peak in late 2030s
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases energy export to Georgia by 12%
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil and oil products to Georgia 11%
- 21.05.2018Shahdeniz consortium ready to transport Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria from 2020
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electric power production this year
- 17.05.2018SCPX first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018SCP daily average throughput makes up 23.1 mcm of gas
- 17.05.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018Shahdeniz produces about 2.7 bcm of gas and 0.6 million tonnes of condensate
- 17.05.2018BTC exports more than 8 million tonnes of crude oil
- 17.05.2018ACG delivers 5.8 million cubic metres of associated gas to SOCAR
- 17.05.2018ACG produces 7 million tonnes of oil in Q1
- 16.05.2018Renewable energy to meet 100% of power demand in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1%
- 16.05.2018BTC transports more than 2 million tonnes of transit oil in four months
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production nearly fivefold
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% in gas production
- 16.05.2018OPEC fulfills Vienna agreement by 172% in April
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 53% growth in revenues from export of oil products
- 16.05.2018SOCAR imports nearly 800 million cubic meters of gas from Russia in Q1
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 11%rise in natural gas export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 11.05.2018Berat Albayrak: TANAP to be launched on June 12
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 09.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of International Association of Ports and Harbors - UPDATED
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan exports over 20,000 tons of fuel to Georgia last month
- 08.05.2018SOCAR Georgia Gas to invest GEL7M in Georgia this year
- 08.05.2018Deputy Minister: Azerbaijan to become natural gas supplier of Georgia in 2019
- 08.05.2018Director: SOCAR Georgia Gas over-fulfils investment obligations
- 08.05.2018ACG produces 455 million tonnes of oil and 144.5 bcm of gas so far
- 07.05.2018Vice-Speaker: Azerbaijan replacing heavy fuel in energy production with natural gas
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan to build new gas storage and compressor station
- 04.05.2018Petkim increases liabilities by 68% in 1Q2018
- 04.05.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 03.05.2018IMF: AzeriLight’s price will be $62
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015