SOCAR: Iran can not compete with Azerbaijan in Georgian market
“If Georgia needs extra gas, it can import. This will not affect volume of gas transported by SOCAR to Georgia. We have an agreement with Georgian government till 2025. According to agreement, SOCAR Energy Georgia will supply all social sectors with natural gas. If we can not supply anytime due to any reasons, Georgian side has opportunity to import gas from other sources”, Mammadov said.
According to him, demand of Georgian market for natural gas increased 8-9% every year.
“Transportation and sale of business gas to Georgia are carried out in accordance with open market and competition. Currently, we meet demand of other consumers in Georgia. Moreover, we offer reasonable price”, Mammadov added.
He says the natural gas to be transported by Iran to Georgia through Armenia will not establish a competition: “Georgian market is too small and no competition will be established. There are not mechanisms of gas transportation from Iranian side to Georgia. Negotiations are still being held. If this mechanism starts, there will be need a place, market for this gas. If the price will be lower than Azerbaijan’s, the a competition will be established. However, Georgian market is too small and our agreement allows us to operate conveniently”.
According to media, Iran has held negotiations with Georgia on sending its gas to the Caucasian nation through Armenia, Managing Director of the National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC) Alireza Kameli says.
“Based on negotiations with Georgia, we are supposed to take gas to the Armenian border, for Georgia to receive it at its border with Armenia,” he was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
“For signing a deal, however, the gas exports plan must be economical for Georgia,” Kameli said, without elaboration.
The plan is to transfer 300-500 million cubic feet a day of Iranian gas through a pipeline for use in power generation in Georgia, he added. Kameli stressed that the planned gas exports to Georgia were intended for domestic use and not for Europe. “The issue of exports to Europe through a pipeline is out of question in our view and our priority is exports in LNG form (to Europe),” he said.
Georgian Energy Ministry said that no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia for the present.
“Media reports that Iran starts natural gas transportation to Georgia through Armenia for production of 8-15 mln cubic meters of energy. Currently, no agreement exists with Iran on natural gas transportation to Georgia. Of course, the issue of natural gas transportation has not solved either. Iran is the largest gas producer of the world and holds talks with all potential customers in the region. The aim is to supply Georgia with stable gas for long-term perspective”, the statement says.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: We’ll ensure all countries fulfil obligations in 2018
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: Azerbaijan has significant role in agreement reached by OPEC and non-OPEC members
- 19.03.2018Creation of platforms on ‘OPEC+’ initiative discussed in Baku
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electricity production this year
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 5%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil products to Georgia by 17%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 26%
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan gets growth in oil production, decline in gas production
- 16.03.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 4%
- 16.03.2018BTC transports more than 1 million tonnes of transit oil in two months
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.5-fold
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases diesel production
- 16.03.2018EIB approves 932 mln euro loan for TANAP gas pipeline
- 15.03.2018Fitch: SGC's carries strategic importance for Azerbaijan's long-term macroeconomic stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan submits letter on joining International Energy Charter
- 15.03.2018Minister: Measures should continue to keep oil prices stable
- 15.03.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Shahin Mustafayev: Azerbaijan intends to cooperate with Iran in oil and gas production
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 12.03.2018Georgia decreases import of oil products from Azerbaijan in February
- 10.03.2018Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 06.03.2018Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 01.03.2018Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network
- 27.02.2018Capacity of Mingechevir Hydro Power Plant increased to 424 megawatt
- 27.02.2018U.S. oil extends gains to hold near three-week high
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan doubles export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia more than 1%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 11%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan exports more than 9,000 tonnes of fuel to Georgia last month
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 05.01.2016Azerbaijan reduces energy production 1% last year
- 06.01.2016Ministry: Route for transportation of Iranian gas to Georgia unknown - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.01.2016SOCAR reduced oil export via Ceyhan port in 2015
- 05.01.2016Georgia confirms negotiations on purchase of natural gas from Iran
- 04.01.2016Iran in talks to send gas to Georgia through Armenia
- 04.01.2016Azerbaijan’s gas production hits new record in 2015