President: Results of ‘Contract of the Century’ aren’t measured by Oil Fund revenues only
"Azerbaijan is known worldwide as a country producing oil and gas. Our role in the world, our strength is growing. That’s what Heydar Aliyev's oil strategy is based upon,” President Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony to celebrate two billion tons of oil production in Azerbaijan, APA reported.
The head of state said that many historical events took place in the oil industry in the 1990s.
"I have to mention the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in particular. The Great Leader Heydar Aliyev laid the foundation of this pipeline with his own hands, and in 2006 we launched the pipeline. The Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum gas pipeline opened in 2007 and is now a major infrastructure project for our gas exports, and the South Caucasus and Southern Gas Corridor projects are being implemented on the basis of this pipeline. In the 1990s, one of the Baku-Novorossiysk and Baku-Supsa oil pipelines was repaired and the other was reconstructed. That is when the foundation of the oil infrastructure was laid and the process was continued in the 2000s," he noted.
President Ilham Aliyev said that advanced drilling rigs and platforms are being constructed in Baku. The whole of the construction work for Shah Deniz-2 has been carried out in Azerbaijan.
"Thousands—if not tens of thousands—of Azerbaijani citizens have been involved in this endeavor. The world's largest oil and gas terminal, Sangachal Terminal, is a great asset of ours. In our shipbuilding plant, any type of ships is produced to carry out oil operations. We named this huge ship—which is one of them—Khankendi, and this was recently put into operation.
In short, the results of the "Contract of the Century" are not just measured by revenues flowing to the Oil Fund. It has had an extensive impact, and still does. We managed to transform "black gold" into human capital. We have effectively used our oil revenues and today it is particularly noted worldwide. Many countries have rich oil fields but are in miserable poverty. In those countries, there is no stability. Oil brings disaster on those countries. In Azerbaijan, oil brings prosperity, development, stability and strength. Today the oil and gas factor plays a major role in shaping our economic potential. Everyone should know this,” the president said.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018BP names Helge Lund as chairman
- 23.04.2018Minister: Azerbaijan’s joining OPEC is not on agenda
- 23.04.2018BP: Business in Azerbaijan is one of other significant ones in BP’s global portfolio
- 23.04.2018ACG produced 453 milion tonnes of oil and 144 bcm of gas so far
- 23.04.2018Minister: SGC opens opportunities for rich gas resources of region
- 20.04.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 19.04.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $133 bln
- 19.04.201870 million barrels of Azerbaijani oil transported through Georgia
- 19.04.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases export of oil and oil products to Georgia over 8%
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan gets 3% rise in wind power production this year
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 6%
- 19.04.2018Oil near late-2014 highs as Saudi pushes for higher prices, U.S. crude stocks decline
- 18.04.2018Edison to buy gas from Shahdeniz
- 18.04.2018President: Azerbaijan has turned from energy importing country into energy exporting country
- 18.04.2018President: Shahdeniz 2, South Caucasus Pipeline and TANAP will be launched this year
- 18.04.2018$1.5B invested in non-oil sector in Q1
- 18.04.2018Russia, Iran can extend oil supplies agreement for 5 years
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases oil production
- 17.04.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 7%
- 17.04.2018BTC transports more than 1.5 million tonnes of transit oil in three months
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production in Q1
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 5.1-fold
- 17.04.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy buys stake in TANAP
- 17.04.2018$5.6B invested in TANAP construction so far
- 17.04.2018Saltuk Duzyol: TANAP will be ready to give gas to TAP in June 2019
- 17.04.2018General Manager: TANAP can also transport Iraq’s gas in future
- 16.04.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $1.3M from sale of gold
- 16.04.2018SOCAR increases diesel production due to high demand
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran sign contract on sale and purchase of electric energy
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector increases by 2.2-fold in 2004-2017
- 11.04.2018Georgian president speaks about SGC’s significance in Abu Dhabi
- 11.04.2018SOFAZ assets increases by $2b in Q1
- 11.04.2018SOCAR announces investment plans
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 06.04.2018SOCAR President: SGC to create significant common gas-main pipeline
- 06.04.2018PROKON on final straight at Construction of SOCAR Ammonia and Urea Plant
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani president orders allocating funds for construction of 15 modular schools
- 03.04.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 08.11.2017President: Azerbaijan’s investments abroad amount to billions of dollars
- 08.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s financial situation is very stable
- 10.11.2017SOCAR Trading to quit Calgary, move some functions to U.S.
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Shahdeniz will operate at least 100 years from now
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan submits data on September’s oil output to OPEC
- 08.11.2017President: Oil and gas sector will be the main field for development of Azerbaijan