President: Results of ‘Contract of the Century’ aren’t measured by Oil Fund revenues only
"Azerbaijan is known worldwide as a country producing oil and gas. Our role in the world, our strength is growing. That’s what Heydar Aliyev's oil strategy is based upon,” President Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony to celebrate two billion tons of oil production in Azerbaijan, APA reported.
The head of state said that many historical events took place in the oil industry in the 1990s.
"I have to mention the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in particular. The Great Leader Heydar Aliyev laid the foundation of this pipeline with his own hands, and in 2006 we launched the pipeline. The Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum gas pipeline opened in 2007 and is now a major infrastructure project for our gas exports, and the South Caucasus and Southern Gas Corridor projects are being implemented on the basis of this pipeline. In the 1990s, one of the Baku-Novorossiysk and Baku-Supsa oil pipelines was repaired and the other was reconstructed. That is when the foundation of the oil infrastructure was laid and the process was continued in the 2000s," he noted.
President Ilham Aliyev said that advanced drilling rigs and platforms are being constructed in Baku. The whole of the construction work for Shah Deniz-2 has been carried out in Azerbaijan.
"Thousands—if not tens of thousands—of Azerbaijani citizens have been involved in this endeavor. The world's largest oil and gas terminal, Sangachal Terminal, is a great asset of ours. In our shipbuilding plant, any type of ships is produced to carry out oil operations. We named this huge ship—which is one of them—Khankendi, and this was recently put into operation.
In short, the results of the "Contract of the Century" are not just measured by revenues flowing to the Oil Fund. It has had an extensive impact, and still does. We managed to transform "black gold" into human capital. We have effectively used our oil revenues and today it is particularly noted worldwide. Many countries have rich oil fields but are in miserable poverty. In those countries, there is no stability. Oil brings disaster on those countries. In Azerbaijan, oil brings prosperity, development, stability and strength. Today the oil and gas factor plays a major role in shaping our economic potential. Everyone should know this,” the president said.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017Price of gasoline AI-95 and AI-98 increased in Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Volume of oil and gas transported via main pipelines announced
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan exports 38% of its gas reserves
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan reduces diesel production by 21%
- 16.11.2017SOCAR President: Works on SGC carried out on schedule
- 16.11.2017SOCAR: Petkim quintuples revenues
- 16.11.2017Transneft halts oil transportation from Azerbaijan due to earthquake
- 15.11.2017Three high-ranking officials of Energy Ministry dismissed
- 15.11.2017Ministry: Baku and Ankara implemented a project that Europe could not carry out for years
- 14.11.2017Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 27% growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 14.11.2017SOCAR Petroleum: Current break in sale of AI-98 gasoline to last for a month
- 13.11.2017OPEC member states decrease oil production
- 13.11.2017Working Group on improvement and finalization of 2016 EIT report holds meeting
- 13.11.2017SOCAR might buy oil refinery in Italy
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 7.2% decline in oil output
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol General Director reveals forecasts on gasoline price
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol comments on quality of fuel
- 13.11.2017General Director: Azpetrol already plans to install facilities designed for charging electric vehicles
- 13.11.2017BTC transported more than 344 million tonnes of oil so far
- 13.11.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port announced
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Extension of ACG will bring tens of billions of dollars in additional investment
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Yeni Ganja” substation
- 10.11.2017Petkim pays $11M advance for construction of new administrative building
- 10.11.2017SOCAR transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget
- 10.11.2017Petkim announces investment incomes
- 10.11.2017Petkim doubles profit
- 10.11.2017Volume of transportations through TRACECA announced
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Contract of the Century signed in 1994 gave a new breath and strength to us
- 08.11.2017Festive ceremony on production 2 billion tonnes of oil held in Baku - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of oil industry
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijan produces 700 million tonnes of oil since gaining independence
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan sells $15M energy to Turkey this year
- 06.11.2017SOFAZ earns $127.3B from ACG
- 06.11.2017Azerishig’s loss nears AZN 26M
- 06.11.2017SOCAR’s Tower cost $414M to build
- 04.11.2017SOCAR: Oilman fallen into sea dies
- 03.11.2017BOTAS intends to extend agreement on transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkey
- 02.11.2017Minister: Georgia supports Trans-Caspian gas pipeline project
- 08.11.2017President: Azerbaijan’s investments abroad amount to billions of dollars
- 08.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s financial situation is very stable
- 10.11.2017SOCAR Trading to quit Calgary, move some functions to U.S.
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Shahdeniz will operate at least 100 years from now
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan submits data on September’s oil output to OPEC
- 08.11.2017President: Oil and gas sector will be the main field for development of Azerbaijan