OPEC agrees to extend oil cuts until the end of 2018
OPEC and non-OPEC producers led by Russia agreed on Thursday to extend oil output cuts until the end of 2018 as they try to finish clearing a global glut of crude while signaling a possible early exit from the deal if the market overheats.
Russia, which this year reduced production significantly with OPEC for the first time, has been pushing for a clear message on how to exit the cuts so the market doesn’t flip into a deficit too soon, prices don’t rally too fast and rival U.S. shale firms don’t boost output further.
Russia needs much lower oil prices to balance its budget than OPEC’s leader Saudi Arabia, which is preparing a stock market listing for national energy champion Aramco next year and would hence benefit from pricier crude.
The producers’ current deal, under which they are cutting supply by about 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) in an effort to boost oil prices, expires in March.
Kuwaiti Oil Minister Essam al-Marzouq told reporters the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and non-OPEC allies had agreed to extend the cuts by nine months until the end of 2018, as largely anticipated by the market.
OPEC also decided to cap the combined output of Nigeria and Libya at 2017 levels below 2.8 million bpd, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said. Both countries have been exempt from cuts due to unrest and lower-than-normal production.
Before the meetings, Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said it was premature to talk about exiting the cuts at least for a couple of quarters and added that OPEC would examine progress at its next regular meeting in June.
“When we get to an exit, we are going to do it very gradually ... to make sure we don’t shock the market,” he said.
The Iraqi, Iranian and Angolan oil ministers also said before Thursday’s meetings that a review of the deal was possible in June in case the market became too tight.
Zanganeh said later no such debate had taken place at the OPEC meeting. However, a draft OPEC communique said the duration could be reviewed in June based on fundamentals. The next meeting is scheduled for June 21, an OPEC source said.
“We will review the market situation and needs, and whether to keep the same level of cut or gradually decrease or increase it,” one delegate said.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018US Charge d'Affaires in Azerbaijan: US will continue to support SGC
- 20.07.2018DESFA sells 66% of its shares for €535M
- 19.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani gas will take its place in EU space soon
- 19.07.2018President: Process of industrialization is taking place at a very high pace in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018SOFAZ revenues from bonuses on oil and gas agreements to make up AZN 774M this year
- 18.07.2018President: Nearly $250 billion invested in Azerbaijan during past fifteen years
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian Presidents attend inauguration of plant in Sumgayit
- 18.07.2018President: Azerbaijan’s rapid economic and industrial development needs new technologies
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on execution of SOFAZ 2017 budget
- 17.07.2018SOFAZ earns AZN 7.9B from sale of profit oil and gas
- 16.07.2018BTC celebrates 3 billion barrels of oil export
- 14.07.2018Non-oil sector of Azerbaijan's economy grew by 2 percent
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 12.07.2018Azerenergy releases information about power cut in country
- 12.07.2018Azerishig: Power supply suspended in 27% of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.07.2018Power supply cut in several regions of Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles electricity export this year
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export by 8 percent
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 40%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 09.07.2018SOCAR Group borrows 419 million manats this year
- 05.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: “None of previously stated remarks were not taken into account”
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "I express my gratitude to Russia and Georgia"
- 04.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting on situation of country’s energy system
- 04.07.2018Electricity supply of all regions of Azerbaijan resumed
- 03.07.2018Azerenerji: "Janub" and "Sumgayit" power stations activated, Baku's electricity supply restored
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and Azerenerji issue joint information on electricity transmission issues
- 03.07.2018Georgia starts energy export to Azerbaijan
- 02.07.2018BP Azerbaijan: We look forward to continuing to work closely with the government of Azerbaijan and other co-venturers towards our next target of gas to Europe in 2020
- 02.07.2018SOCAR President: Shah Deniz 2 platforms constructed by SOCAR’s affiliate companies
- 02.07.2018Shah Deniz 2 begins gas deliveries to Turkey
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies new budget rules
- 29.06.2018Rick Perry: US to continue supporting Azerbaijan’s global energy projects
- 28.06.2018The mechanism of economic amnesty to be developed in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018First commercial deliveries within Shah Deniz-2 to begin next week,
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan increases energy production by more than 9%
- 25.06.2018New Azerbaijani Vice President appointed to BP
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan welcomes OPEC decision to increase oil output
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 23.12.2014Winners of tender on construction of Turkish part of TANAP announced
- 24.12.2014Saudi Oil Minister: “OPEC oil output will not be cut even if price hits $20”
- 24.12.2014Daily production capacity of new well in Absheron field announced
- 22.12.2014Saudi Arabia Oil Minister: “Oil price will rebound soon”
- 19.12.2014SOCAR to gasify Albania - PHOTOSESSION
- 19.12.2014Taner Yildiz: “Turkey earns $32.6 mln per year from oil price decline”