Oil rises more than 2 percent as U.S. crude output slows
Oil rose more than 2 percent on Monday, resuming its longest stretch of daily gains in more than five years after data pointed to diminished U.S. output, though analysts said news of rising OPEC production could cap gains, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude futures closed up 91 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $49.68 a barrel. The price rose 5.2 percent last week for the first weekly gain in six.
U.S. crude futures closed up $1.03, or 2.2 percent, to $47.07 a barrel, an almost one-month high. U.S. crude futures trading volumes were low a day before the U.S. Independence Day holiday.
Crude was up for an eighth straight session, the longest stretch of gains since February 2012.
"It’s all about market sentiment," said Commerzbank senior oil analyst Carsten Fritsch. He cited a 100,000 barrel per day drop in U.S. production due to tropical storms and maintenance, as well as a decline in U.S. rig count.
"These... (temporary) factors outweigh the sharp increase in OPEC oil production in June... and the continued increase in Libyan and Nigerian output, at least at the moment," he said.
Speculators in Brent crude futures and options raised their bets against a sustained price rise to the highest level on record in the latest week. In a note on Friday, Citibank wrote that the managed net long position was the smallest since January 2016.
After 23 straight weeks of increased rigs, drilling activity for new oil production in the United States fell for the first time since January, dropping by two rigs, while U.S. government data showed crude output fell in April for the first time this year.
"We think the fall in prices has caused U.S. output growth to slow," Standard Chartered wrote in a note on Monday, "Revisions for May and June will confirm that supply is growing at a significantly more modest rate than the market has believed up to now."
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Minister: Azerbaijan’s joining OPEC is not on agenda
- 23.04.2018BP: Business in Azerbaijan is one of other significant ones in BP’s global portfolio
- 23.04.2018ACG produced 453 milion tonnes of oil and 144 bcm of gas so far
- 23.04.2018Minister: SGC opens opportunities for rich gas resources of region
- 20.04.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 19.04.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $133 bln
- 19.04.201870 million barrels of Azerbaijani oil transported through Georgia
- 19.04.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases export of oil and oil products to Georgia over 8%
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan gets 3% rise in wind power production this year
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 6%
- 19.04.2018Oil near late-2014 highs as Saudi pushes for higher prices, U.S. crude stocks decline
- 18.04.2018Edison to buy gas from Shahdeniz
- 18.04.2018President: Azerbaijan has turned from energy importing country into energy exporting country
- 18.04.2018President: Shahdeniz 2, South Caucasus Pipeline and TANAP will be launched this year
- 18.04.2018$1.5B invested in non-oil sector in Q1
- 18.04.2018Russia, Iran can extend oil supplies agreement for 5 years
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases oil production
- 17.04.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 7%
- 17.04.2018BTC transports more than 1.5 million tonnes of transit oil in three months
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production in Q1
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 5.1-fold
- 17.04.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy buys stake in TANAP
- 17.04.2018$5.6B invested in TANAP construction so far
- 17.04.2018Saltuk Duzyol: TANAP will be ready to give gas to TAP in June 2019
- 17.04.2018General Manager: TANAP can also transport Iraq’s gas in future
- 16.04.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $1.3M from sale of gold
- 16.04.2018SOCAR increases diesel production due to high demand
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran sign contract on sale and purchase of electric energy
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector increases by 2.2-fold in 2004-2017
- 11.04.2018Georgian president speaks about SGC’s significance in Abu Dhabi
- 11.04.2018SOFAZ assets increases by $2b in Q1
- 11.04.2018SOCAR announces investment plans
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 06.04.2018SOCAR President: SGC to create significant common gas-main pipeline
- 06.04.2018PROKON on final straight at Construction of SOCAR Ammonia and Urea Plant
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani president orders allocating funds for construction of 15 modular schools
- 03.04.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani appointed as BP Vice President Australia
- 04.07.2017Azerenergy produces more than 1.5 kWh of energy in June
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 03.07.2017SOCAR announces volume of exported oil products
- 03.07.2017SOCAR gets 6% rise in crude oil export through Ceyhan port
- 03.07.2017Azerbaijan submits data on June’s oil output to OPEC