Oil rises more than 2 percent as U.S. crude output slows
Oil rose more than 2 percent on Monday, resuming its longest stretch of daily gains in more than five years after data pointed to diminished U.S. output, though analysts said news of rising OPEC production could cap gains, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude futures closed up 91 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $49.68 a barrel. The price rose 5.2 percent last week for the first weekly gain in six.
U.S. crude futures closed up $1.03, or 2.2 percent, to $47.07 a barrel, an almost one-month high. U.S. crude futures trading volumes were low a day before the U.S. Independence Day holiday.
Crude was up for an eighth straight session, the longest stretch of gains since February 2012.
"It’s all about market sentiment," said Commerzbank senior oil analyst Carsten Fritsch. He cited a 100,000 barrel per day drop in U.S. production due to tropical storms and maintenance, as well as a decline in U.S. rig count.
"These... (temporary) factors outweigh the sharp increase in OPEC oil production in June... and the continued increase in Libyan and Nigerian output, at least at the moment," he said.
Speculators in Brent crude futures and options raised their bets against a sustained price rise to the highest level on record in the latest week. In a note on Friday, Citibank wrote that the managed net long position was the smallest since January 2016.
After 23 straight weeks of increased rigs, drilling activity for new oil production in the United States fell for the first time since January, dropping by two rigs, while U.S. government data showed crude output fell in April for the first time this year.
"We think the fall in prices has caused U.S. output growth to slow," Standard Chartered wrote in a note on Monday, "Revisions for May and June will confirm that supply is growing at a significantly more modest rate than the market has believed up to now."
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Ambassador: Southern Gas Corridor to allow Azerbaijan to turn into a huge energy exporter
- 22.11.2017SOCAR clarifies gas import from Gazprom
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijan resumes gas import from Russia
- 21.11.2017TAP realization bases on Europe’s fundamental values - Snam
- 20.11.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 2% in January-October
- 20.11.2017Minister: 94 percent of works on TANAP completed
- 20.11.2017Number of BP’s Azerbaijani national employees declining
- 20.11.2017BP: 98 percent of construction on SCP Expansion is completed
- 20.11.2017South Caucasus Pipeline spends $657M this year
- 20.11.2017BTC spends $120M this year
- 20.11.2017BP: 27 million standard cubic metres of Shah Deniz gas was exported from Sangachal Terminal daily
- 20.11.2017Shah Deniz spends more than $2.6 billion this year
- 20.11.2017Shahdeniz 2 is now over 97 percent complete: BP
- 20.11.2017Volume of AGC production announced
- 17.11.2017Price of gasoline AI-95 and AI-98 increased in Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Volume of oil and gas transported via main pipelines announced
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan exports 38% of its gas reserves
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan reduces diesel production by 21%
- 16.11.2017SOCAR President: Works on SGC carried out on schedule
- 16.11.2017SOCAR: Petkim quintuples revenues
- 16.11.2017Transneft halts oil transportation from Azerbaijan due to earthquake
- 15.11.2017Three high-ranking officials of Energy Ministry dismissed
- 15.11.2017Ministry: Baku and Ankara implemented a project that Europe could not carry out for years
- 14.11.2017Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 27% growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 14.11.2017SOCAR Petroleum: Current break in sale of AI-98 gasoline to last for a month
- 13.11.2017OPEC member states decrease oil production
- 13.11.2017Working Group on improvement and finalization of 2016 EIT report holds meeting
- 13.11.2017SOCAR might buy oil refinery in Italy
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 7.2% decline in oil output
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol General Director reveals forecasts on gasoline price
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol comments on quality of fuel
- 13.11.2017General Director: Azpetrol already plans to install facilities designed for charging electric vehicles
- 13.11.2017BTC transported more than 344 million tonnes of oil so far
- 13.11.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port announced
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Extension of ACG will bring tens of billions of dollars in additional investment
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Yeni Ganja” substation
- 10.11.2017Petkim pays $11M advance for construction of new administrative building
- 10.11.2017SOCAR transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget
- 04.07.2017Azerenergy produces more than 1.5 kWh of energy in June
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 03.07.2017SOCAR announces volume of exported oil products
- 03.07.2017SOCAR gets 6% rise in crude oil export through Ceyhan port
- 03.07.2017Azerbaijan submits data on June’s oil output to OPEC