Oil rises more than 2 percent as U.S. crude output slows
Oil rose more than 2 percent on Monday, resuming its longest stretch of daily gains in more than five years after data pointed to diminished U.S. output, though analysts said news of rising OPEC production could cap gains, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude futures closed up 91 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $49.68 a barrel. The price rose 5.2 percent last week for the first weekly gain in six.
U.S. crude futures closed up $1.03, or 2.2 percent, to $47.07 a barrel, an almost one-month high. U.S. crude futures trading volumes were low a day before the U.S. Independence Day holiday.
Crude was up for an eighth straight session, the longest stretch of gains since February 2012.
"It’s all about market sentiment," said Commerzbank senior oil analyst Carsten Fritsch. He cited a 100,000 barrel per day drop in U.S. production due to tropical storms and maintenance, as well as a decline in U.S. rig count.
"These... (temporary) factors outweigh the sharp increase in OPEC oil production in June... and the continued increase in Libyan and Nigerian output, at least at the moment," he said.
Speculators in Brent crude futures and options raised their bets against a sustained price rise to the highest level on record in the latest week. In a note on Friday, Citibank wrote that the managed net long position was the smallest since January 2016.
After 23 straight weeks of increased rigs, drilling activity for new oil production in the United States fell for the first time since January, dropping by two rigs, while U.S. government data showed crude output fell in April for the first time this year.
"We think the fall in prices has caused U.S. output growth to slow," Standard Chartered wrote in a note on Monday, "Revisions for May and June will confirm that supply is growing at a significantly more modest rate than the market has believed up to now."
Related news releases
- 27.07.2017Oil jumps to near eight-week high after big draw in U.S. crude stocks
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey
- 25.07.2017BP: TANAP is significant project for us
- 25.07.2017Anglo Asian Mining earns $19.4M from sale of gold
- 25.07.2017Oil extends gains as Saudi pledges export curbs
- 24.07.2017Country manager: TAP construction won’t have negative impact on environment
- 22.07.2017Oil dives 2 percent; consultant sees OPEC crude output rise in July
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev opens Pirallahi solar power plant
- 20.07.2017Rovnag Abdullayev: 90% works copmleted in STAR refinery
- 20.07.2017SOCAR President: $8.5B invested in TANAP so far
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan’s investments in Turkey to reach $20B
- 20.07.2017Oil jumps to six-week high on surprisingly big U.S. inventory draws
- 18.07.2017Ischinger: Sanctions against Russia pose threat on European energy security
- 18.07.2017Import of certain types of gasoline to Azerbaijan exempted from duties
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijani President: "The Southern Gas Corridor is probably the largest infrastructure project in Europe"
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan increases gas transportation 10% this year
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan sees 8% rise in gasoline production
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.2-fold increase in gold production
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan investing billions of dollars for realization of SGC soon – president
- 17.07.2017Israel to join TANAP
- 15.07.2017S&P: SOCAR plays critical role in Azerbaijan’s economy
- 15.07.2017SOCAR to attend tender for construction of underground gas storage facility in Georgia
- 15.07.2017Price of gasoline Aİ-92 increased in Azerbaijan - OFFICIAL
- 14.07.2017EBRD to allocate $39M for Tamiz Shahar
- 14.07.2017SOCAR gets 7% decline in gas production
- 14.07.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 2%
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan gets 9% decline in oil production
- 13.07.2017Oil rises as U.S. crude stocks drop by more than expected
- 11.07.2017Iran to spend $140B for increase of oil and gas output
- 11.07.2017IEA Executive Director: Oil producers’ efforts result in failure - INTERVIEW
- 10.07.2017Oil rises slightly, but growing global supply a worry
- 10.07.2017WPC President: Azerbaijan is sensitive about its investments and natural gas export
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan friendship brings stability to the region
- 10.07.2017President: Shahdeniz 2 will be completed soon
- 10.07.2017Erdogan: Southern Gas Corridor is priority for Turkey
- 10.07.2017PM: Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan demonstrated significance of regional cooperation
- 10.07.2017Saudi Aramco to invest $300B to oil production
- 10.07.2017SOCAR increases transfers to state budget adn SSPF
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijan quadruples revenues from energy export
- 10.07.2017Secretary of State: US intends to cooperate with Turkey on SGC
- 04.07.2017Azerenergy produces more than 1.5 kWh of energy in June
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 03.07.2017SOCAR announces volume of exported oil products
- 03.07.2017SOCAR gets 6% rise in crude oil export through Ceyhan port
- 03.07.2017Azerbaijan submits data on June’s oil output to OPEC