Oil rises more than 2 percent as U.S. crude output slows
Oil rose more than 2 percent on Monday, resuming its longest stretch of daily gains in more than five years after data pointed to diminished U.S. output, though analysts said news of rising OPEC production could cap gains, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude futures closed up 91 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $49.68 a barrel. The price rose 5.2 percent last week for the first weekly gain in six.
U.S. crude futures closed up $1.03, or 2.2 percent, to $47.07 a barrel, an almost one-month high. U.S. crude futures trading volumes were low a day before the U.S. Independence Day holiday.
Crude was up for an eighth straight session, the longest stretch of gains since February 2012.
"It’s all about market sentiment," said Commerzbank senior oil analyst Carsten Fritsch. He cited a 100,000 barrel per day drop in U.S. production due to tropical storms and maintenance, as well as a decline in U.S. rig count.
"These... (temporary) factors outweigh the sharp increase in OPEC oil production in June... and the continued increase in Libyan and Nigerian output, at least at the moment," he said.
Speculators in Brent crude futures and options raised their bets against a sustained price rise to the highest level on record in the latest week. In a note on Friday, Citibank wrote that the managed net long position was the smallest since January 2016.
After 23 straight weeks of increased rigs, drilling activity for new oil production in the United States fell for the first time since January, dropping by two rigs, while U.S. government data showed crude output fell in April for the first time this year.
"We think the fall in prices has caused U.S. output growth to slow," Standard Chartered wrote in a note on Monday, "Revisions for May and June will confirm that supply is growing at a significantly more modest rate than the market has believed up to now."
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017SOCAR sells 1.4 million tonnes of gasoline, 1.2 million tonnes of diesel in Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017$42.7B to be invested in ACG
- 20.09.2017AZN 16B transferred to SOCAR’s accounts in authorized banks
- 20.09.2017SOCAR imports 1.1 bcm of gas this year
- 20.09.2017SOCAR announces base price of crude oil and gas
- 20.09.2017Volume of oil and condensate extracted from Shahdeniz so far announced
- 20.09.2017BTC transported nearly 340 million tonnes of Azerbaijani oil so far
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan oil output to reach 2 billion tonnes
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some oil workers
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan gets decline in solar power production
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan triples gold production
- 18.09.2017Gas processing plant processes 1.7 bcm of gas this year
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan sees 18.5% decline in diesel production
- 15.09.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 9%
- 14.09.2017SOCAR, Statoil discuss development of "Karabakh" oilfield and "Ashrafi" and "Dan Ulduzu" structures
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Statoil Executive Vice President - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with UK Minister of State
- 14.09.2017Ambassador: US is pleased to continue cooperation with Azerbaijan within extension of agreement on ACG development
- 14.09.2017UK PM: I’m sure the new contract will further develop our coop with Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Turkish presidents sends message to participants of signing ceremony of new ACG contract
- 14.09.2017Georgian PM: Signing of new ACG contract ‘a historic event’
- 14.09.2017BP: Over $40B to be invested in ACG development
- 14.09.2017Turkey says will continue to be important partner of Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017New ACG participating interests announced
- 14.09.2017President: We established very profitable cooperation with BP during 23 years
- 14.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani goverment and co-venturers sign amended and restated Azeri-Chirag-Deepwater Guneshli PSA
- 14.09.2017President: Azerbaijan’s currency reserves will increase more
- 14.09.2017President: New contract on ACG development is signed with more favorable and better conditions for Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Ceremony being held for signing a new contract on development of ACG field by 2050
- 13.09.2017IGB to sign agreement with Azerbaijan in early 2018 - OFFICIAL
- 13.09.2017Non-OPEC countries fulfill agreement by 118% thanks to Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Oil up on OPEC output decline; U.S. refinery restarts
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 41% decline in export of oil products
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% rise in revenues from natural gas export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% decline in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan quadruples revenues from energy export
- 12.09.2017Oil prices dip as traders assess U.S. hurricane impact
- 11.09.2017SOCAR increases budget transfers by 15%
- 08.09.2017Georgia reduces gasoline and diesel import from Azerbaijan
- 04.07.2017Azerenergy produces more than 1.5 kWh of energy in June
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port so far announced
- 05.07.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported via BTC pipeline announced
- 03.07.2017SOCAR announces volume of exported oil products
- 03.07.2017SOCAR gets 6% rise in crude oil export through Ceyhan port
- 03.07.2017Azerbaijan submits data on June’s oil output to OPEC