Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns
Crude prices rose on Monday along with the U.S. stock market on forecasts for robust oil demand growth and concerns that output from OPEC producers would grow at a much slower pace in coming years, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent futures LCOc1 gained $1.17, or 1.8 percent, to settle at $65.54 a barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 gained $1.32, or 2.2 percent, to settle at $62.57.
Oil prices, which were flat earlier in the day, started rising along with U.S. stocks. The S&P 500 Index .SPX was up over 1 percent shortly before the close of trading.
“Today’s spike in the equities was a large driver behind today’s (oil) price recovery,” Jim Ritterbusch, president of Chicago-based energy advisory firm Ritterbusch & Associates, said in a report.
Analysts also said prices were propped up by“bullish comments” from ministers from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and other global industry players at the CERAWeek conference in Houston, the largest energy conference, on Monday.
Abhishek Kumar, senior energy analyst at Interfax Energy’s Global Gas Analytics in London, said comments about“Venezuela’s deteriorating oil-production profile, together with prospects for strong compliance with the OPEC-led output-cut agreement, (were) supportive of oil prices.”
Ecuador’s oil minister Carlos Perez said Venezuela’s oil production was running 1.5 million barrels per day (bpd) short of its historic output. Speaking on the sidelines of the CERAWeek conference, he noted it was something that the country must address itself.
OPEC Secretary General Mohammad Barkindo and other OPEC officials are expected to hold a dinner on Monday with U.S. shale firms on the sidelines of the conference.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes down
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 11% decline in natural gas export
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 46%
- 20.06.2018Minister: Sharp decline in oil reserves should be considered in order not to face crisis in market
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani energy minister to participate in Vienna meeting of OPEC and non-OPEC countries
- 14.06.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1.2%
- 14.06.2018BTC transports more than 2.5 million tonnes of transit oil in five months
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 1.6% rise in heating power production this year
- 14.06.2018SOCAR announces amount of revenues from foreign assets
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 19%
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s net profit increased by nearly six fold in 2017
- 13.06.2018Construction of interconnector for transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria may commence at year-end
- 13.06.2018Bulqarqaz: EU's support to project speaks for itself about how important the Southern Gas Corridor is
- 13.06.2018Deputy Minister: SGC to change world’s energy map
- 13.06.2018Bulgarian adviser: Shahdeniz 2 gas to meet 25-30% of Bulgaria’s gas consumption
- 12.06.2018Ukraine wants to receive gas from TANAP through Bulgaria, Romania – Poroshenko
- 12.06.2018Erdogan: TANAP opening is historical step for regional countries
- 12.06.2018President Aliyev: TANAP is victory of Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood
- 12.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Southern Gas Corridor is new format of cooperation in Eurasia
- 12.06.2018TANAP opening ceremony kicks off in Turkey
- 12.06.2018SOCAR’s authorized capital to be sharply increased
- 11.06.2018SOCAR President: Azerbaijan has no problem on financing of SGC
- 11.06.2018Minister: TAP is the first large-scale energy project in Albania
- 11.06.2018TANAP to be inaugurated tomorrow
- 08.06.2018OPEC announces volume of proven gas reserves of Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2018OPEC: Azerbaijan has 7bln barrels of confirmed oil resources
- 06.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijani president attends opening of Dalimammadli substation
- 05.06.2018Dutch court seizes Gazprom's assets to award $2.6bln to Naftogaz
- 04.06.2018Petkim: One more oil refinery may be constructed in Turkey
- 04.06.2018SOCAR decreases crude oil export through Novorossiysk port
- 01.06.2018Azerbaijan starts electricity export to Iran from today
- 31.05.2018SOCAR Vice President: Many countries will benefit from SGC
- 31.05.2018Khoshbakht Yusifzade: More than 258 million tonnes of AGC oil sent to world markets this year
- 30.05.2018SOCAR: No discrimination should be allowed for expansion of SGC
- 30.05.2018Turkish Petroleum: Turkey, Azerbaijan intend to extend cooperation agreement on energy security
- 30.05.2018SOCAR ready for negotiations with foreign investors on gas refinery complex
- 30.05.2018Rovnag Abdullayev: Azerbaijan will export its gas to any direction
- 30.05.2018OPEC to prepare special mechanisms against future shocks and changes
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 10.03.2018Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February