Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
Oil prices rose nearly $2 on Friday, rebounding from two days of declines as Wall Street climbed on strong U.S. jobs data, while investors also grew hopeful that a planned meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un could ease geopolitical tensions, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude LCOc1 futures rose $1.88 to settle at $65.49 a barrel, a 2.96 percent gain. Brent traded between $63.69 and $65.63 during the session.
West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude CLc1 futures rose $1.92 to settle at $62.04 a barrel, a 3.19 percent gain. U.S. crude traded between $60.14 and $62.14.
Oil prices extended gains in post-settlement trade, with both benchmarks up more than $2.
Both Brent and U.S. crude notched weekly percentage gains after weekly percentage losses last week.
Trump said he was prepared to meet Kim in what would be the first face-to-face encounter between leaders from the two countries and could mark a breakthrough in a standoff over the North’s nuclear weapons. Kim also has committed to suspending further nuclear or missile tests. [MKTS/GLOB]
Wall Street jumped after U.S. payrolls data showed strong job additions in February. The S&P 500 index .SPX was last up about 1.5 percent, while the Nasdaq Composite index .IXIC hit a record high on the day, further supporting oil prices. Crude futures and stock indices have recently moved in tandem.
The jobs report “speaks to strong, underlying economic conditions, and growth, which includes increased energy demand,” said John Kilduff, partner at investment manager Again Capital in New York.
Also bullish for oil prices, Libya’s 70,000 barrels per day El Feel oilfield stayed shut despite the Petroleum Facilities Guard saying it had reached a deal to reopen it, according to a field engineer and local mediator.
Hedge funds and money managers cut their bullish wagers on U.S. crude for the first time in three weeks, data showed on Friday.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: We’ll ensure all countries fulfil obligations in 2018
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: Azerbaijan has significant role in agreement reached by OPEC and non-OPEC members
- 19.03.2018Creation of platforms on ‘OPEC+’ initiative discussed in Baku
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electricity production this year
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 5%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil products to Georgia by 17%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 26%
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan gets growth in oil production, decline in gas production
- 16.03.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 4%
- 16.03.2018BTC transports more than 1 million tonnes of transit oil in two months
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.5-fold
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases diesel production
- 16.03.2018EIB approves 932 mln euro loan for TANAP gas pipeline
- 15.03.2018Fitch: SGC's carries strategic importance for Azerbaijan's long-term macroeconomic stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan submits letter on joining International Energy Charter
- 15.03.2018Minister: Measures should continue to keep oil prices stable
- 15.03.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 01.03.2018Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network
- 27.02.2018Capacity of Mingechevir Hydro Power Plant increased to 424 megawatt
- 27.02.2018U.S. oil extends gains to hold near three-week high
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan doubles export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia more than 1%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 11%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan exports more than 9,000 tonnes of fuel to Georgia last month
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 16.02.2018BP remains committed to achieving a nationalization target of 90 percent for professional staff by year-end
- 16.02.2018BP-Azerbaijan: Overall, 99 percent of SCPX first gas scope is already complete
- 16.02.2018SCP spends $813M last year
- 16.02.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope is now 99 per cent complete - BP
- 16.02.2018Shahdeniz produces 10.2 bcm of gas and 2.4 million tonnes of condensate last year
- 16.02.2018Amount of capital and operating expenditures on Shahdeniz announced
- 16.02.2018BTC exports 34 million tonnes of crude oil in 2017
- 12.03.2018Georgia decreases import of oil products from Azerbaijan in February
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 13.03.2018Shahin Mustafayev: Azerbaijan intends to cooperate with Iran in oil and gas production
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 06.03.2018Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns