Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build
Oil prices extended declines on Thursday after official data showed a larger-than-expected increase in U.S. crude inventories and a surprise build in gasoline stocks, APA reports quoting Reuters.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude for April delivery CLc1 was down 11 cents at $61.53 a barrel by 0100 GMT after settling down $1.37.
New front-month London Brent crude LCOc1 for May delivery was down 16 cents at $64.57, having ended down $1.79. The April contract expired on Wednesday, settling down 85 cents at $65.78.
Some industry sources said Wednesday’s decline was also due to profit-taking by market participants at the end of the month after oil hit a three-week high earlier this week.
U.S. crude inventories rose by 3 million barrels last week, compared with analyst expectations for a build of 2.1 million barrels, weekly data by the Energy Information Administration (EIA) showed. [EIA/S]
Gasoline stocks also rose by 2.5 million barrels against expectations for a 190,000-barrel drop, which pushed gasoline futures sharply lower. Distillate stockpiles, which include diesel and heating oil, fell by 1 million barrels, versus expectations for a 709,000-barrel drop.
Soaring U.S. production has kept a lid on oil prices this year, even though the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and Russia have reduced output.
U.S. crude oil production rose to a record 10.057 million barrels per day (bpd) in November and retreated slightly in December to 9.949 million bpd, the EIA said on Wednesday.
OPEC oil output fell in February to a 10-month low as the United Arab Emirates joined other Gulf members in over-delivering on a supply reduction pact, a Reuters survey found on Wednesday, pushing compliance with the deal to its highest at 149 percent.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: We’ll ensure all countries fulfil obligations in 2018
- 19.03.2018OPEC Secretary General: Azerbaijan has significant role in agreement reached by OPEC and non-OPEC members
- 19.03.2018Creation of platforms on ‘OPEC+’ initiative discussed in Baku
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electricity production this year
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 5%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil products to Georgia by 17%
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 26%
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan gets growth in oil production, decline in gas production
- 16.03.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 4%
- 16.03.2018BTC transports more than 1 million tonnes of transit oil in two months
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.5-fold
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan increases diesel production
- 16.03.2018EIB approves 932 mln euro loan for TANAP gas pipeline
- 15.03.2018Fitch: SGC's carries strategic importance for Azerbaijan's long-term macroeconomic stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan submits letter on joining International Energy Charter
- 15.03.2018Minister: Measures should continue to keep oil prices stable
- 15.03.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Shahin Mustafayev: Azerbaijan intends to cooperate with Iran in oil and gas production
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 12.03.2018Georgia decreases import of oil products from Azerbaijan in February
- 10.03.2018Oil prices rise nearly $2 amid broad market optimism
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan’s economy minister to visit Iran
- 07.03.2018SOCAR: Negotiations on financing of SGC started with German companies and banks
- 06.03.2018Oil prices rise on forecasts for growing demand, OPEC concerns
- 27.02.2018Capacity of Mingechevir Hydro Power Plant increased to 424 megawatt
- 27.02.2018U.S. oil extends gains to hold near three-week high
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan doubles export of oil products to Georgia
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia more than 1%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases energy export to Georgia by 11%
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan exports more than 9,000 tonnes of fuel to Georgia last month
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 16.02.2018BP remains committed to achieving a nationalization target of 90 percent for professional staff by year-end
- 16.02.2018BP-Azerbaijan: Overall, 99 percent of SCPX first gas scope is already complete
- 16.02.2018SCP spends $813M last year
- 16.02.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope is now 99 per cent complete - BP
- 16.02.2018Shahdeniz produces 10.2 bcm of gas and 2.4 million tonnes of condensate last year
- 16.02.2018Amount of capital and operating expenditures on Shahdeniz announced
- 16.02.2018BTC exports 34 million tonnes of crude oil in 2017
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network