Oil extends declines on U.S. inventory build
Oil prices extended declines on Thursday after official data showed a larger-than-expected increase in U.S. crude inventories and a surprise build in gasoline stocks, APA reports quoting Reuters.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude for April delivery CLc1 was down 11 cents at $61.53 a barrel by 0100 GMT after settling down $1.37.
New front-month London Brent crude LCOc1 for May delivery was down 16 cents at $64.57, having ended down $1.79. The April contract expired on Wednesday, settling down 85 cents at $65.78.
Some industry sources said Wednesday’s decline was also due to profit-taking by market participants at the end of the month after oil hit a three-week high earlier this week.
U.S. crude inventories rose by 3 million barrels last week, compared with analyst expectations for a build of 2.1 million barrels, weekly data by the Energy Information Administration (EIA) showed. [EIA/S]
Gasoline stocks also rose by 2.5 million barrels against expectations for a 190,000-barrel drop, which pushed gasoline futures sharply lower. Distillate stockpiles, which include diesel and heating oil, fell by 1 million barrels, versus expectations for a 709,000-barrel drop.
Soaring U.S. production has kept a lid on oil prices this year, even though the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and Russia have reduced output.
U.S. crude oil production rose to a record 10.057 million barrels per day (bpd) in November and retreated slightly in December to 9.949 million bpd, the EIA said on Wednesday.
OPEC oil output fell in February to a 10-month low as the United Arab Emirates joined other Gulf members in over-delivering on a supply reduction pact, a Reuters survey found on Wednesday, pushing compliance with the deal to its highest at 149 percent.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 22.06.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes down
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 11% decline in natural gas export
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 46%
- 20.06.2018Minister: Sharp decline in oil reserves should be considered in order not to face crisis in market
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani energy minister to participate in Vienna meeting of OPEC and non-OPEC countries
- 14.06.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1.2%
- 14.06.2018BTC transports more than 2.5 million tonnes of transit oil in five months
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan gets 1.6% rise in heating power production this year
- 14.06.2018SOCAR announces amount of revenues from foreign assets
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 19%
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s net profit increased by nearly six fold in 2017
- 13.06.2018Construction of interconnector for transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria may commence at year-end
- 13.06.2018Bulqarqaz: EU's support to project speaks for itself about how important the Southern Gas Corridor is
- 13.06.2018Deputy Minister: SGC to change world’s energy map
- 13.06.2018Bulgarian adviser: Shahdeniz 2 gas to meet 25-30% of Bulgaria’s gas consumption
- 12.06.2018Ukraine wants to receive gas from TANAP through Bulgaria, Romania – Poroshenko
- 12.06.2018Erdogan: TANAP opening is historical step for regional countries
- 12.06.2018President Aliyev: TANAP is victory of Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood
- 12.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Southern Gas Corridor is new format of cooperation in Eurasia
- 12.06.2018TANAP opening ceremony kicks off in Turkey
- 12.06.2018SOCAR’s authorized capital to be sharply increased
- 11.06.2018SOCAR President: Azerbaijan has no problem on financing of SGC
- 11.06.2018Minister: TAP is the first large-scale energy project in Albania
- 11.06.2018TANAP to be inaugurated tomorrow
- 08.06.2018OPEC announces volume of proven gas reserves of Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2018OPEC: Azerbaijan has 7bln barrels of confirmed oil resources
- 06.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijani president attends opening of Dalimammadli substation
- 05.06.2018Dutch court seizes Gazprom's assets to award $2.6bln to Naftogaz
- 04.06.2018Petkim: One more oil refinery may be constructed in Turkey
- 04.06.2018SOCAR decreases crude oil export through Novorossiysk port
- 01.06.2018Azerbaijan starts electricity export to Iran from today
- 31.05.2018SOCAR Vice President: Many countries will benefit from SGC
- 31.05.2018Khoshbakht Yusifzade: More than 258 million tonnes of AGC oil sent to world markets this year
- 30.05.2018SOCAR: No discrimination should be allowed for expansion of SGC
- 30.05.2018Turkish Petroleum: Turkey, Azerbaijan intend to extend cooperation agreement on energy security
- 30.05.2018SOCAR ready for negotiations with foreign investors on gas refinery complex
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan increases electric energy production in February
- 02.03.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 03.03.2018Oil up but set for weekly drop as tariff plan, U.S. output weigh
- 28.02.2018BP Regional President: Azerbaijan is of ‘key importance’ among over 70 countries where BP operates
- 28.02.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy, BP sign licence agreement
- 27.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Automated Control and Monitoring Center of Mingachevir Electric Power Distribution Network