Georgia to build natural gas storage, coal-fired power plant
Georgia plans to build its first underground natural gas storage facility and construct a coal-fired power plant as part of moves to develop its energy sector, according to CNBC.
Georgia's state Oil and Gas Corporation (GOGC) has obtained the right to build the gas storage facility on a capped oil field in the capital Tbilisi and has finished the feasibility study, GOGC's general director told Reuters.
"Several companies have expressed their interest to participate in the tender for the construction," David Tvalabeishvili said.
"We expect that the winner will be named by May 2018."
He said that once construction had been completed around the turn of 2021-2022, it would be possible to store 250-280 million cubic meters of natural gas, or about 15 percent of the country's current total annual consumption.
The project is estimated to cost $250-$300 million.
"We are holding talks with international financial institutions in order to get credits for the construction," Tvalabeishvili said.
Separately, Georgia has signed a deal with Dongfang Electric Corporation to help build a 300-megawatt coal-fired power plant in the ex-Soviet country, the Chinese company said on Wednesday.
Dongfang signed an agreement with Georgian company Cpower. The project is estimated to cost $250 million, with construction expected to start in 2018 and to be completed in 2020.
The plant, which will be built in south Georgia, will help the country meet peak winter power demand and export electricity to Turkey in summer.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 19.04.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $133 bln
- 19.04.201870 million barrels of Azerbaijani oil transported through Georgia
- 19.04.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases export of oil and oil products to Georgia over 8%
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan gets 3% rise in wind power production this year
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 6%
- 19.04.2018Oil near late-2014 highs as Saudi pushes for higher prices, U.S. crude stocks decline
- 18.04.2018Edison to buy gas from Shahdeniz
- 18.04.2018President: Azerbaijan has turned from energy importing country into energy exporting country
- 18.04.2018President: Shahdeniz 2, South Caucasus Pipeline and TANAP will be launched this year
- 18.04.2018$1.5B invested in non-oil sector in Q1
- 18.04.2018Russia, Iran can extend oil supplies agreement for 5 years
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases oil production
- 17.04.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 7%
- 17.04.2018BTC transports more than 1.5 million tonnes of transit oil in three months
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production in Q1
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 5.1-fold
- 17.04.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy buys stake in TANAP
- 17.04.2018$5.6B invested in TANAP construction so far
- 17.04.2018Saltuk Duzyol: TANAP will be ready to give gas to TAP in June 2019
- 17.04.2018General Manager: TANAP can also transport Iraq’s gas in future
- 16.04.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $1.3M from sale of gold
- 16.04.2018SOCAR increases diesel production due to high demand
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran sign contract on sale and purchase of electric energy
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector increases by 2.2-fold in 2004-2017
- 11.04.2018Georgian president speaks about SGC’s significance in Abu Dhabi
- 11.04.2018SOFAZ assets increases by $2b in Q1
- 11.04.2018SOCAR announces investment plans
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 06.04.2018SOCAR President: SGC to create significant common gas-main pipeline
- 06.04.2018PROKON on final straight at Construction of SOCAR Ammonia and Urea Plant
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani president orders allocating funds for construction of 15 modular schools
- 03.04.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani appointed as BP Vice President Australia
- 30.03.2018BP-Azerbaijan: All works likely to be affected by strong wind postponed
- 29.03.2018TANAP completed by over 93%
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Turkey in January
- 29.03.2018Joint automobile plant of Azerbaijan and Iran launched in Neftchala
- 30.11.2017OPEC agrees to extend oil cuts until the end of 2018
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan supports the extension of the deal on oil production cuts
- 01.12.2017BP: SGC’s existing capacity can be expanded
- 29.11.2017Delay in TAP’s construction in Italy would have an impact on South Eastern Europe - EU
- 27.11.2017We hope that all problems on the SOCAR’s way will be overcome as soon as possible – Telman Aliyev
- 27.11.2017Azerbaijan - second largest gas supplier of Turkey