Georgia to build natural gas storage, coal-fired power plant
Georgia plans to build its first underground natural gas storage facility and construct a coal-fired power plant as part of moves to develop its energy sector, according to CNBC.
Georgia's state Oil and Gas Corporation (GOGC) has obtained the right to build the gas storage facility on a capped oil field in the capital Tbilisi and has finished the feasibility study, GOGC's general director told Reuters.
"Several companies have expressed their interest to participate in the tender for the construction," David Tvalabeishvili said.
"We expect that the winner will be named by May 2018."
He said that once construction had been completed around the turn of 2021-2022, it would be possible to store 250-280 million cubic meters of natural gas, or about 15 percent of the country's current total annual consumption.
The project is estimated to cost $250-$300 million.
"We are holding talks with international financial institutions in order to get credits for the construction," Tvalabeishvili said.
Separately, Georgia has signed a deal with Dongfang Electric Corporation to help build a 300-megawatt coal-fired power plant in the ex-Soviet country, the Chinese company said on Wednesday.
Dongfang signed an agreement with Georgian company Cpower. The project is estimated to cost $250 million, with construction expected to start in 2018 and to be completed in 2020.
The plant, which will be built in south Georgia, will help the country meet peak winter power demand and export electricity to Turkey in summer.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018US Charge d'Affaires in Azerbaijan: US will continue to support SGC
- 20.07.2018DESFA sells 66% of its shares for €535M
- 19.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani gas will take its place in EU space soon
- 19.07.2018President: Process of industrialization is taking place at a very high pace in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018SOFAZ revenues from bonuses on oil and gas agreements to make up AZN 774M this year
- 18.07.2018President: Nearly $250 billion invested in Azerbaijan during past fifteen years
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian Presidents attend inauguration of plant in Sumgayit
- 18.07.2018President: Azerbaijan’s rapid economic and industrial development needs new technologies
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on execution of SOFAZ 2017 budget
- 17.07.2018SOFAZ earns AZN 7.9B from sale of profit oil and gas
- 16.07.2018BTC celebrates 3 billion barrels of oil export
- 14.07.2018Non-oil sector of Azerbaijan's economy grew by 2 percent
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 12.07.2018Azerenergy releases information about power cut in country
- 12.07.2018Azerishig: Power supply suspended in 27% of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.07.2018Power supply cut in several regions of Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles electricity export this year
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export by 8 percent
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 40%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 09.07.2018SOCAR Group borrows 419 million manats this year
- 05.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: “None of previously stated remarks were not taken into account”
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "I express my gratitude to Russia and Georgia"
- 04.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting on situation of country’s energy system
- 04.07.2018Electricity supply of all regions of Azerbaijan resumed
- 03.07.2018Azerenerji: "Janub" and "Sumgayit" power stations activated, Baku's electricity supply restored
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and Azerenerji issue joint information on electricity transmission issues
- 03.07.2018Georgia starts energy export to Azerbaijan
- 02.07.2018BP Azerbaijan: We look forward to continuing to work closely with the government of Azerbaijan and other co-venturers towards our next target of gas to Europe in 2020
- 02.07.2018SOCAR President: Shah Deniz 2 platforms constructed by SOCAR’s affiliate companies
- 02.07.2018Shah Deniz 2 begins gas deliveries to Turkey
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies new budget rules
- 29.06.2018Rick Perry: US to continue supporting Azerbaijan’s global energy projects
- 28.06.2018The mechanism of economic amnesty to be developed in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018First commercial deliveries within Shah Deniz-2 to begin next week,
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan increases energy production by more than 9%
- 25.06.2018New Azerbaijani Vice President appointed to BP
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan welcomes OPEC decision to increase oil output
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 30.11.2017OPEC agrees to extend oil cuts until the end of 2018
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan supports the extension of the deal on oil production cuts
- 01.12.2017BP: SGC’s existing capacity can be expanded
- 29.11.2017Delay in TAP’s construction in Italy would have an impact on South Eastern Europe - EU
- 27.11.2017We hope that all problems on the SOCAR’s way will be overcome as soon as possible – Telman Aliyev
- 27.11.2017Azerbaijan - second largest gas supplier of Turkey