Gazprom-TAP cooperation: Russia waited 8 years to take revenge on EU
Reuters reports that had Brussels not had to violate the rules about Russia, this plan could have worked. TAP will supply European consumers with gas in 2019.
However, the European officials now remember that there is a rule in EU which bans monopoly in gas transportation. So, through the auction the owner of gas pipeline should allow others to use half of transportation capacity of the pipeline. This rule was adopted 8 years ago. Russia claims that this rule aims to prevent construction of a gas pipeline by Gazprom in the bottom of Black Sea. Consequently, Russia refused South Stream. Later on, TAP appeared. However, Gazprom said it intends to join TAP basing on abovementioned rule. Concretely, Gazprom intends to use half of TAP’s capacity. After TAP is launched for transportation of Shahdeniz gas, other may use its transportation capacity. In the current situation, there is not any real candidate except Gazprom.
On January 25, Gazprom Director General Alexander Medvedev said at Viena conference that Gazprom is exploring the possibilities of using Poseidon and TAP to transport gas to Europe.
The company’s official said that Nord Stream 2 and Turkish Stream may be insufficient to meet Europe’s demand for gas: “Therefore, we are negotiating with our partners from the Southern Europe. The subject is the usage of Poseidon and TAP”.
Then the top-manager noted that no concrete purpose was made on Gazprom’s joining TAP.
The following day, Italy’s Snam company supported Gazprom’s joining the TAP, saying it will double TAP’s capacity. Snam Vice-President Federico Ermoli said that Gazprom’s joining TAP will double its capacity: “We can increase the capacity up to 20 bcm by a small investment. This will cheaper than Poseidon’s expansion. Russian gas may be transported to Italy, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria”.”
Fluxys CEO Pascal De Buck also supported Gazprom’s joining the TAP.
The European officials acknowledge that they are desperate in this situation. In other words, the EU officials, who want to reduce dependence on Russian gas, are unable to prevent Gazprom’s usage of TAP. Some of them told Reuters that Gazprom’s joining the TAP will spoil Brussels’s plans to reduce dependence on Russian gas: “If this happens, we’ll not able to keep our words that promised our partners”. Reuters says the “partners” mean Ukraine and the Eastern Europe. As it known, these countries fully depend on Russian gas.
Interestingly enough, some European diplomats offered that abovementioned rules are not eligible for this project in order to prevent Russia’s participation in TAP. However, according to Reuters, the European Commission is not planning to take this step. Along with this, Reuters says that European Commission’s interference in this issue may damage efforts to create an open market. Moreover, we must not forget that Russia will absolutely respond to Brussels interference.
The European experts think that the main advantage of Russian gas is its cheapness. EU repeatedly promised its participants the gas of Israel, Aljazeera, Cyprus, Egypt even Iran. However, if Gazprom joins the TAP, these countries may give up their hopes.
Trans Adriatic Pipeline is a pipeline project to transport natural gas, starting from Greece–Turkey border at Kipoi, Evros, where it will be connected with the Trans-Anatolian gas pipeline. It will cross Greece, Albania and the Adriatic Sea and come ashore in Italy near San Foca. The total length of the pipeline will be 878 kilometres. The initial capacity of the pipeline will be about 10 billion cubic metres of natural gas per year, with the option to expand the capacity up to 20 billion cubic metres.
TAP shareholders: SOCAR (20%), BP (20%), "Snam" (20%), "Fluxys" (19%), "Enagas" (16%) and "Axpo" (5%).
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017Kakha Kaladze: Georgia depends on Azerbaijani gas
- 24.05.2017Foreign workers in Azerbaijan’s energy sector make up 8-10 percent
- 24.05.2017No surprise expected in Vienna meeting - minister
- 24.05.2017SOCAR to participate in Iranian projects - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.05.2017Azerishig ends 2016 on loss of AZN 26M
- 22.05.2017S&P keeps SOCAR’s ratings unchanged
- 22.05.2017State companies’ tax debt to budget makes up AZN 1.4B
- 22.05.2017Ogtay Asadov: Azerbaijan’s new energy strategy brought transformation and progress to region
- 19.05.2017SOCAR reduces gas production nearly 8%
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan – main energy supplier of Georgia
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan’s main goal is to complete works on SGC in time – energy minister
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani energy minister hopes Vienna agreement to continue
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan earns $28M from energy export to Georgia
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan reduces export of oil products to Georgia
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia 13%
- 18.05.2017Good condition created for foreign investors in Azerbaijan – president
- 18.05.2017We must celebrate launch of TANAP project next year - Azerbaijani president
- 18.05.2017Without “Contract of the Century”, Azerbaijan would’ve been unable to develop this much – president
- 18.05.2017Creation of drilling plant named after Heydar Aliyev is a historical event – Azerbaijani president
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends opening of drilling plant in SOCAR’s base
- 17.05.2017Volume of oil transported via Azerbaijan’s main pipelines anounced
- 17.05.2017Committee: 6.4% of gas reserves made up losses
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan sees 38% decline in gold production
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan gets 12% rise in gasoline production
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan gets 10% decline in crude oil production
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani oil price declines
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan gets 9.5% decline in oil production
- 12.05.2017Main directions of SOFAZ expenditures and investment policy made public
- 12.05.2017SOCAR increases budget transfers more than 11%
- 12.05.2017Oil gains on more support for OPEC cuts, optimism about U.S. crude draw
- 11.05.2017SOCAR: Situation at well in “Gunashli” field under control
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves contract on development of Umid and Babek fields
- 11.05.2017Gas leak at Azneft platform prevented
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan sharply increases revenues from natural gas export
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan increases incomes from energy export eight-fold
- 11.05.2017Around 400 delegates from 30 countries planning to take part in Caspian Oil&Gas 2017
- 10.05.2017SOFAZ announces revenues from ACG
- 10.05.2017TAP construction suspended in Albania for one month
- 10.05.2017$200M invested in SCP in Q1
- 10.05.2017BTC operating expenditures decline by $6M
- 15.02.2017SOCAR to rejoin DESFA privatization
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan supplying around 5% of EU's oil demand
- 16.02.2017BelOil, NIOC reach agreement after SOCAR ceases oil transportation to Belarus
- 14.02.2017Bloomberg makes serious mistake about Azerbaijan - OPINION
- 14.02.2017Men throw Molotov cocktail at TAP Italy-based office
- 13.02.2017Petkim increases its share in STAR