ENOC sends oil to Iran despite US sanctions
On August 3, the vessel “VF Tanker-20” under the Russian flag arrived and discharged in the Iranian port “Neka” for unloading about 6,000 tons of Turkmen oil of the “Dragon Oil” company production.
Report informs, the shipment took place on August 3-4 in the terminal owned and operated by the NIOC (National Iranian Oil Company).
This is the first oil shipment in a long time that “Dragon Oil”, 100% owned by the UAE's ENOC, has decided to supply to Iran independently jointly with its subsidiary trade structure ENOC Trading in Singapore.
So far, “Dragon Oil” has sold all export volumes of oil on tenders on the basis of FOB Alaja, Turkmenistan. Due to the sanctions against Iran, those volumes since 2011, were directed towards Europe through Azerbaijan (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline or Baku-Batumi railway) or Russia (Makhachkala-Novorossiysk oil pipeline).
Decision of “Dragon Oil’ and ENOC to resume the oil supply to Iran has surprised market actors.
In the situation when “Dragon Oil” carries out all payments of the Turkmen oil in US-dollars, works with American contractors on a long-term basis (for example, the US company Schlumberger), and have the US citizens in managing positions, the decision to resume supplies to Iran looks hasty and risky.
It is also surprising that ENOC, the UAE national oil company, is actively developing new business with Iran, bypassing US sanctions, despite the fact that the UAE is the USA's main ally in the region.
It's not excluded that this supply to Iran was not initially planned by the “Dragon Oil” company. Thus, the “VF Tanker-20” vessel arrived in the Azerbaijan's Baku port and was on a raid from July 25 to August 1. Nevertheless, the vessel was not allowed to unload due to the presence of the non-documented (possibly contraband) cargo on it. Afterwards, the ENOC has sent the tanker to the Iranian port Neka, where it's possible to unload the cargo without presenting the documents on goods.
Currently, market actors are awaiting development of the situation - maybe this oil shipment unloaded on Neka was accidental because of the problems with documentation, or probably, it is just beginning of the planned program for Turkmen oil delivery to Iran.
ENOC’s current activity on shipment market and sending several vessels of the Russian company “VF Tanker” to the Caspian Sea in the direction of Alaja port also speaks in favor of the second version.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018US Charge d'Affaires in Azerbaijan: US will continue to support SGC
- 20.07.2018DESFA sells 66% of its shares for €535M
- 19.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani gas will take its place in EU space soon
- 19.07.2018President: Process of industrialization is taking place at a very high pace in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018SOFAZ revenues from bonuses on oil and gas agreements to make up AZN 774M this year
- 18.07.2018President: Nearly $250 billion invested in Azerbaijan during past fifteen years
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian Presidents attend inauguration of plant in Sumgayit
- 18.07.2018President: Azerbaijan’s rapid economic and industrial development needs new technologies
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on execution of SOFAZ 2017 budget
- 17.07.2018SOFAZ earns AZN 7.9B from sale of profit oil and gas
- 16.07.2018BTC celebrates 3 billion barrels of oil export
- 14.07.2018Non-oil sector of Azerbaijan's economy grew by 2 percent
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 12.07.2018Azerenergy releases information about power cut in country
- 12.07.2018Azerishig: Power supply suspended in 27% of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.07.2018Power supply cut in several regions of Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles electricity export this year
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export by 8 percent
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan increases crude oil export by 40%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan doubles revenues from export of oil products
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 09.07.2018SOCAR Group borrows 419 million manats this year
- 05.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: “None of previously stated remarks were not taken into account”
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "I express my gratitude to Russia and Georgia"
- 04.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting on situation of country’s energy system
- 04.07.2018Electricity supply of all regions of Azerbaijan resumed
- 03.07.2018Azerenerji: "Janub" and "Sumgayit" power stations activated, Baku's electricity supply restored
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and Azerenerji issue joint information on electricity transmission issues
- 03.07.2018Georgia starts energy export to Azerbaijan
- 02.07.2018BP Azerbaijan: We look forward to continuing to work closely with the government of Azerbaijan and other co-venturers towards our next target of gas to Europe in 2020
- 02.07.2018SOCAR President: Shah Deniz 2 platforms constructed by SOCAR’s affiliate companies
- 02.07.2018Shah Deniz 2 begins gas deliveries to Turkey
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies new budget rules
- 29.06.2018Rick Perry: US to continue supporting Azerbaijan’s global energy projects
- 28.06.2018The mechanism of economic amnesty to be developed in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018First commercial deliveries within Shah Deniz-2 to begin next week,
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan increases energy production by more than 9%
- 25.06.2018New Azerbaijani Vice President appointed to BP
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan welcomes OPEC decision to increase oil output
- 22.06.2018OPEC agrees to boost oil production by 1 million b/d
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President to discuss natural gas transportation in Baku
- 08.08.2017New US sanctions on Russia increase uncertainty on European gas markets - S&P
- 09.08.2017ENOC continues to supply crude oil to Iran despite sanctions
- 04.08.2017Oil prices rise on strong U.S. jobs data
- 04.08.2017President: Azerbaijan turned into a reliable country supplying gas to world
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijan submits data on July’s oil output to OPEC