ENOC realizes another supply of crude oil to Iran despite US sanctions
The fourth crude oil cargo under the Russian flag vessel VF Tanker-20 with 6,265 thousand tons of Turkmen oil produced by Dragon Oil has arrived to the Iranian port of Neka on August 6.
Notably, at the end of July, vessel VF Tanker-20, carried crude oil produced by Dragon Oil, arrived on roads of Baku port, Azerbaijan. However, after one week delay, caused by detection of some undeclared cargo on board, suddenly rushed to Iranian port of Neka and discharged crude oil to the terminal, operated by the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC).
It should be noted that, NIOC (National Iranian Oil Company) and NICO (trade structure of NIOC), as well as their units in various countries are included in the US sanctions list.
Media representatives tried to contact marketing director of Dragon Oil Ahmad Assadi and clarify the situation. However, when Assad heard the journalist's question he hung up and did not answer the calls later.
Assad's reluctance to answer questions from press is entirely explained by the fact that having US citizenship, he nevertheless works for a company that, despite US sanctions, sends ships to Iran.
Notably, On August 7, VF Tanker-20 loaded a new cargo of crude oil in Aladja port, Turkmenistan, and moved towards direction of Baku, Azerbaijan. However, soon after exiting the territorial waters of Turkmenistan, the ship turned to the south and later arrived to Neka port in Iran. It would appear, that this maneuver is linked to the fact, that Dragon Oil and ENOC, most likely, didn’t obtain necessary permissions from Turkmenistan Government authorities (State Customs Services and others), allowing Turkmen crude oil supply to Iran, and, therefore, issued cargo and custom documents, showing port of discharge Baku, Azerbaijan for further transit delivery to Europe.
It is not excluded, that Dragon Oil will not be able to obtain such permission at all, due to the serious worsening of relations between Turkmenistan and Iran after a dispute over payment for Turkmen natural gas delivered to Iran and intention of Iranian side to sue Turkmenistan in international arbitration courts.
Moreover, such movements of the ship may be explained, as the attempts of Dragon Oil and ENOC to hide the true destination of crude oil delivery – Iran, and, therefore, to avoid being included into the list of companies, violating US sanctions against Iran.
It remains questionable until when DragonOil and ENOC will manage to bypass generally accepted norms and standards.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017SOCAR and its partners invested $76B in oil and gas industry so far
- 21.09.2017Shah Deniz-2 is making good progress towards full completion on schedule and below the planned budget - BP
- 21.09.2017Vice President: Favorable oil price for SOCAR is $60-65, but we take into account realities in our strategy
- 21.09.2017SOCAR sells 1.4 million tonnes of gasoline, 1.2 million tonnes of diesel in Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017$42.7B to be invested in ACG
- 20.09.2017AZN 16B transferred to SOCAR’s accounts in authorized banks
- 20.09.2017SOCAR imports 1.1 bcm of gas this year
- 20.09.2017SOCAR announces base price of crude oil and gas
- 20.09.2017Volume of oil and condensate extracted from Shahdeniz so far announced
- 20.09.2017BTC transported nearly 340 million tonnes of Azerbaijani oil so far
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan oil output to reach 2 billion tonnes
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some oil workers
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan gets decline in solar power production
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan triples gold production
- 18.09.2017Gas processing plant processes 1.7 bcm of gas this year
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan sees 18.5% decline in diesel production
- 15.09.2017SOCAR reduces oil output by 9%
- 14.09.2017SOCAR, Statoil discuss development of "Karabakh" oilfield and "Ashrafi" and "Dan Ulduzu" structures
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Statoil Executive Vice President - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with UK Minister of State
- 14.09.2017Ambassador: US is pleased to continue cooperation with Azerbaijan within extension of agreement on ACG development
- 14.09.2017UK PM: I’m sure the new contract will further develop our coop with Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Turkish presidents sends message to participants of signing ceremony of new ACG contract
- 14.09.2017Georgian PM: Signing of new ACG contract ‘a historic event’
- 14.09.2017BP: Over $40B to be invested in ACG development
- 14.09.2017Turkey says will continue to be important partner of Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017New ACG participating interests announced
- 14.09.2017President: We established very profitable cooperation with BP during 23 years
- 14.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani goverment and co-venturers sign amended and restated Azeri-Chirag-Deepwater Guneshli PSA
- 14.09.2017President: Azerbaijan’s currency reserves will increase more
- 14.09.2017President: New contract on ACG development is signed with more favorable and better conditions for Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017Ceremony being held for signing a new contract on development of ACG field by 2050
- 13.09.2017IGB to sign agreement with Azerbaijan in early 2018 - OFFICIAL
- 13.09.2017Non-OPEC countries fulfill agreement by 118% thanks to Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Oil up on OPEC output decline; U.S. refinery restarts
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 41% decline in export of oil products
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% rise in revenues from natural gas export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan gets 22% decline in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan quadruples revenues from energy export
- 18.08.2017Funds allocated for reconstruction of water infrastructure in Baku’s Khazar district
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches Chichakli Hydroelectric Power Station after major overhaul
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launched Gadabay electrical substation
- 17.08.2017South Caucasus Pipeline Expansion project now ‘96% complete’
- 17.08.2017BP says SCP daily average throughput was 21.4 million cubic metres of gas per day in 1H 2017
- 17.08.2017BP: About 141 mln barrels of oil exported from Sangachal terminal in 1H 2017