Brent oil near two-year highs as OPEC's compliance with cuts improves
Brent crude oil prices were near two-year highs on Wednesday as OPEC has significantly improved compliance with its pledged supply cuts and Russia is also seen keeping to the deal, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent futures LCOc1, the international benchmark for oil prices, were at $61.16 per barrel at 0045 GMT, up 22 cents, or 0.36 percent, since their last close and near the $61.41 a barrel two-year high from intraday trading on Tuesday. Brent is up almost 38 percent since its 2017-lows last June.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude CLc1 was at $54.65 a barrel, up 27 cents, or 0.5 percent, and close to February highs. It is up almost 30 percent since 2017-lows in June.
Bullish sentiment has been fueled by an effort this year lead by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and Russia to hold back about 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) in oil production to tighten markets.
While compliance was low during the first half of the year, supplies have been reduced significantly since.
OPEC’s October output fell by 80,000 bpd to 32.78 million bpd, putting adherence to its pledged supply curbs at 92 percent, up from September’s 86 percent.
Russia is also seen to be in compliance with cutting its output by around 300,000 bpd below October 2016 levels of 11.247 million bpd.
Trade data shows that global oil markets have been slightly undersupplied during the past quarters, resulting in fuel inventory drawdowns.
Factoring in supply disruptions in Iraq due to fighting and the United States as a result of hurricanes, the market looks slightly undersupplied going into next year, traders said.
What is unclear is how OPEC, Russia and the other countries involved in withholding production will exit the supply-cutting deal.
The pact runs to March 2018, and Saudi Arabia and Russia support extending the agreement to potentially cover all of next year.
Should participants after that return to full capacity and U.S. output also grow further, a supply glut could quickly return.
“We could rapidly ... go from a predicted deficit of around 260,000 barrels to a surplus of close to 1.5 million barrels. Prices would undoubtedly collapse as a consequence,” said Matt Stanley, a fuel broker at Freight Investor Services.
Another key factor will be U.S. output, which has risen by almost 13 percent since mid-2016 to around 9.5 million bpd. C-OUT-T-EIA
“U.S. crude oil production is 410,000 bpd below the April 2015 peak of 9.62 million bpd. We expect production to surpass this level before year-end,” Barclays bank said.
Related news releases
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 16.02.2018BP remains committed to achieving a nationalization target of 90 percent for professional staff by year-end
- 16.02.2018BP-Azerbaijan: Overall, 99 percent of SCPX first gas scope is already complete
- 16.02.2018SCP spends $813M last year
- 16.02.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope is now 99 per cent complete - BP
- 16.02.2018Shahdeniz produces 10.2 bcm of gas and 2.4 million tonnes of condensate last year
- 16.02.2018Amount of capital and operating expenditures on Shahdeniz announced
- 16.02.2018BTC exports 34 million tonnes of crude oil in 2017
- 16.02.2018Sangachal terminal exports more than 283 million barrels of oil in 2017
- 16.02.2018ACG delivers nearly 3 bcm of associated gas to SOCAR last year
- 16.02.2018ACG produces 29 million in total tonnes of oil last year
- 16.02.2018$1.64B spent on ACG last year
- 16.02.2018S&P could downgrade Azerenerji
- 16.02.2018Details of documents signed at the 4th Ministerial Meeting of SGC Advisory Council announced
- 16.02.2018S&P: Without ongoing and extraordinary state support, Azerenerji would face difficulties in servicing its debt
- 16.02.2018S&P anticipates no tariff revisions in Azerbaijan in next two years
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan gets 73% growth in solar power production in January
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production this year
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.1-fold last month
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan reduces oil and gas production
- 16.02.2018S&P: Outlook on Azerenerji is negative
- 16.02.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 2%
- 16.02.2018BTC transports 554,000 tonnes of transit oil last month
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijan is ready to enter the European market with its gas resources"
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani President: "The Southern Gas Corridor is a main element of the strategy that helps us to diversify our economy" - UPDATED
- 15.02.2018Southern Gas Corridor will ensure energy security worldwide: US State Department official
- 15.02.2018Total construction costs of STAR Refinery increased to $6.3B – Fitch
- 15.02.2018Europe ready to discuss Iran’s joining SGC - Maros Sefcovic
- 15.02.2018Minister: Azerbaijan has successfully been implementing oil and gas strategy for long years
- 15.02.2018Maros Sefcovic: We’ll feel safer when SGC provides Europe with energy
- 15.02.2018Fitch views contract to extend PSA for ACG as positive
- 15.02.2018Maros Sefcovic: Turkmenistan’s joining SGC is being discussed
- 15.02.2018Minister: First gas on TANAP to be transported from Azerbaijan to Turkey in the middle of this year
- 15.02.2018Joint Declaration signed at 4th Ministerial Meeting of SGC Advisory Council
- 15.02.2018Fitch: SOCAR’s capital expenditures will decrease to around AZN 2 billion in 2019-2020
- 15.02.2018Fitch affirms SOCAR’s rating at ‘BB+’
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Italy is determined to implement TAP successfully
- 15.02.2018Sefcovic: Southern Gas Corridor project is of strategic importance
- 01.11.2017Khoshbakht Yusifzade: We had three options before signing of New Contract of the Century
- 01.11.2017Volume of Shahdeniz gas transported to Georgia and Turkey announced
- 01.11.2017Volume of oil produced in Azerbaijan to reach 2 billion tonnes soon
- 30.10.2017EIB to allocate $1.3B for TANAP
- 30.10.2017TANAP has crucial importance in terms of meeting rapidly increasing natural gas demand of Turkey – Erdogan
- 28.10.2017"Petkim" attracts loan of $ 500 million