BP: Oil prices to come down to $50-$55 a barrel by the end of this year
BP’s profits more than doubled in 2017 to $6.2 billion powered by higher prices and output of oil and gas, allowing the company to resume share buybacks as it recovers from a three-year downturn, Chief Financial Officer Brian Gilvary told Reuters,.
The company will be able to generate profits in 2018 at an oil price of $50 a barrel, he said, as years of spending cuts kicked in and as it slowly shakes off a $65 billion bill for penalties and clean up costs of the deadly 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill.
Full-year production rose 12 percent to 2.47 million barrels per day (bpd) after BP launched 7 new oil and gas fields in 2017, a record year.
BP’s refining and trading segment, known as downstream, saw profits rise to $7 billion in 2017 as earnings for the marketing division rose by more than 10 percent.
Cash flow in the fourth quarter rose slightly to $6.2 billion but fell short of market expectations, raising concerns that cost cuts have run their course, echoing concerns about rivals Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil and Chevron which reported last week.
BP reported a $2.1 billion fourth-quarter underlying replacement cost profit, the company’s definition of net income, topping forecasts for $1.9 billion, a company-provided survey of analysts showed.
BP’s full year capital spending reached $16.5 billion, within the annual range of $15-$17 billion it plans to maintain until 2021.
Despite the strong start to oil prices, which reached a three-year high in January, Gilvary said he expected prices to come down to $50-$55 a barrel by the end of this year.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Vahid Alekberov comments on lawsuit between LUKOIL and Palmali Holding
- 25.05.2018LUKOIL negotiating with SOCAR on exploitation of Umid and Babek fields
- 25.05.2018Rosneft: US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal may lead to reformation of world oil market
- 22.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates high-voltage equipment plant in Baku - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Regional energy cooperation rises to a new level
- 21.05.2018BP expects demand for oil to peak in late 2030s
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases energy export to Georgia by 12%
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan decreases export of oil and oil products to Georgia 11%
- 21.05.2018Shahdeniz consortium ready to transport Azerbaijani gas to Bulgaria from 2020
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% decline in electric power production this year
- 17.05.2018SCPX first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018SCP daily average throughput makes up 23.1 mcm of gas
- 17.05.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope 99 percent complete
- 17.05.2018Shahdeniz produces about 2.7 bcm of gas and 0.6 million tonnes of condensate
- 17.05.2018BTC exports more than 8 million tonnes of crude oil
- 17.05.2018ACG delivers 5.8 million cubic metres of associated gas to SOCAR
- 17.05.2018ACG produces 7 million tonnes of oil in Q1
- 16.05.2018Renewable energy to meet 100% of power demand in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 1%
- 16.05.2018BTC transports more than 2 million tonnes of transit oil in four months
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production nearly fivefold
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% in gas production
- 16.05.2018OPEC fulfills Vienna agreement by 172% in April
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 53% growth in revenues from export of oil products
- 16.05.2018SOCAR imports nearly 800 million cubic meters of gas from Russia in Q1
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan gets 11%rise in natural gas export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 11.05.2018Berat Albayrak: TANAP to be launched on June 12
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 09.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of International Association of Ports and Harbors - UPDATED
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan exports over 20,000 tons of fuel to Georgia last month
- 08.05.2018SOCAR Georgia Gas to invest GEL7M in Georgia this year
- 08.05.2018Deputy Minister: Azerbaijan to become natural gas supplier of Georgia in 2019
- 08.05.2018Director: SOCAR Georgia Gas over-fulfils investment obligations
- 08.05.2018ACG produces 455 million tonnes of oil and 144.5 bcm of gas so far
- 07.05.2018Vice-Speaker: Azerbaijan replacing heavy fuel in energy production with natural gas
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan to build new gas storage and compressor station
- 04.05.2018Petkim increases liabilities by 68% in 1Q2018
- 04.05.2018Transportation of oil products through SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal in Georgia declines
- 03.05.2018IMF: AzeriLight’s price will be $62
- 07.02.2018Energy producers, distributors and suppliers to pay fee to Energy Regulatory Agency
- 08.02.2018President: All state bodies should work so as if we have not oil sector
- 13.02.2018BP and partners invested $69B in Azerbaijan’s economy
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 06.02.2018SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal transports 1.6 million tonnes of oil and oil products last year
- 06.02.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $131.6 bln