BP appoints new regional president
Gary is currently BP’s global head of drilling, completions and wells.
Gary will succeed Gordon Birrell, who has successfully led BP’s regional business since November2012. Gordon’s new role will be BP’s Chief Operating Officer, Production, Transformation and Carbon based in BP’s headquarters in London.
Bob Dudley, BP’s Group Chief Executive, said: “Gary is an experienced global oilman, a mature business leader, and as someone who has led BP’s global wells function for many years he brings a deep technical understanding of our operations in the Caspian. Gary has managed some of BP’s most important assets such as Rumaila and the fields in the North Sea. As BP celebrates its 25th anniversary in Azerbaijan it is our firm intention to continue the success of our business in the region through even closer cooperation with all our stakeholders. As BP’s new Regional President Gary will continue our successful partnership here building on the great achievements in all of BP-operated projects.”
“Taking this opportunity I would like to thank Gordon for hisleadership and commitment to BP’s success in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey. He has led our business in the region for more than four years and has achieved numerous successes and milestones based on an excellent relationship and cooperation with the Government, SOCAR and our partners.”
“I would also like to wish Gary and Gordon every success in their new roles”.
Gary Jones is a proven business leader with over 30 years of experience. He is currently BP’s global head of drilling, completions and wells.
Gary began his career with BP in 1981 and has held many leadership positions in drilling, operations and projects. In his early years, Gary held various engineering and technical posts in drilling and wells, working in deepwater operations in the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, as well as multiple drilling operations in China, Holland and Africa.
Key leadership positionshave included, heading BP’s operations in Iraq as General Manager Rumaila / Vice President Operations, serving as a key leader in Russia as the Project Director/Performance Unit Leader – Verkhnechonskoye, and holding multiple senior leadership positions across BP’s North Sea asset base.
Gary holds a degree in Chemical Engineering from Birmingham University.
He is married and has two sons.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018SOCAR and BP sign agreement on new production sharing for geological exploration in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran and Russia to create working group on integration of electro energy systems
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani President arrives in UK for a visit, meets with BP CEO in London
- 26.04.2018Azerenerji gets 25% rise in revenues
- 26.04.2018BP names Helge Lund as chairman
- 23.04.2018Minister: Azerbaijan’s joining OPEC is not on agenda
- 23.04.2018BP: Business in Azerbaijan is one of other significant ones in BP’s global portfolio
- 23.04.2018ACG produced 453 milion tonnes of oil and 144 bcm of gas so far
- 23.04.2018Minister: SGC opens opportunities for rich gas resources of region
- 20.04.2018Extractive Industries Transparency Commission holds meeting
- 19.04.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $133 bln
- 19.04.201870 million barrels of Azerbaijani oil transported through Georgia
- 19.04.2018Georgia increases energy import from Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases export of oil and oil products to Georgia over 8%
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan gets 3% rise in wind power production this year
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gas export to Georgia by nearly 6%
- 19.04.2018Oil near late-2014 highs as Saudi pushes for higher prices, U.S. crude stocks decline
- 18.04.2018Edison to buy gas from Shahdeniz
- 18.04.2018President: Azerbaijan has turned from energy importing country into energy exporting country
- 18.04.2018President: Shahdeniz 2, South Caucasus Pipeline and TANAP will be launched this year
- 18.04.2018$1.5B invested in non-oil sector in Q1
- 18.04.2018Russia, Iran can extend oil supplies agreement for 5 years
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases oil production
- 17.04.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by 7%
- 17.04.2018BTC transports more than 1.5 million tonnes of transit oil in three months
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production in Q1
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 5.1-fold
- 17.04.2018SOCAR Turkey Energy buys stake in TANAP
- 17.04.2018$5.6B invested in TANAP construction so far
- 17.04.2018Saltuk Duzyol: TANAP will be ready to give gas to TAP in June 2019
- 17.04.2018General Manager: TANAP can also transport Iraq’s gas in future
- 16.04.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $1.3M from sale of gold
- 16.04.2018SOCAR increases diesel production due to high demand
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran sign contract on sale and purchase of electric energy
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector increases by 2.2-fold in 2004-2017
- 11.04.2018Georgian president speaks about SGC’s significance in Abu Dhabi
- 11.04.2018SOFAZ assets increases by $2b in Q1
- 11.04.2018SOCAR announces investment plans
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Chairman and CEO of Total Patrick Pouyanne
- 14.03.2017Ukraine purchased $24M-oil from Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan gets 7.3% decline in oil production
- 13.03.2017Political challenges don’t affect TANAP implementation – general manager
- 13.03.2017SOCAR buys seven oil tankers
- 09.03.2017Italian Snam to invest €270M in TAP