BOTAS intends to extend agreement on transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkey
The 15-year agreement on transportation of Shahdeniz 1 gas to Turkey might be extended.
Head of International Project Department at BOTAS Ismail Kurshad Capanoglu said that the agreement on ACG development was extended by 2050: “Therefore, a new agreement might be signed when the current agreement expired. In fact, we have already started negotiations with SOCAR”.
He noted that operations on TANAP will start in June 2018: “Initial agreement in this regard was reached in 2011”.
According to him, Turkey’s gas consumption makes up approximately 50 billion cubic meters and this figure will increase: “Increase of gas reserves in the country is on the agenda. 10% of consumable gas should be stored as reserves. However, we can increase the reserves up to 20 %. We have not hubs to bring the gas from the East to the West. Therefore, we have to carry out natural gas transportation through reserves”.
He also clarified that why BOTAS does not own a large share in TANAP: “In October 2011 SOCAR consortium and Shahdeniz 2 conducted negotiations. During these negotiations, it was agreed that BOTAS transports the gas. In the article $5 of the agreement, in case if the sides don’t want establishment of new line, meetings will be held in this regard. There was agreement on transportation of gas via BOTAS through Turkey. According to that article, we met with SOCAR and decided to create a new system”.
He noted that Turkey’s relations with Azerbaijan differ from relations with the Western countries: “It was the main goal for Azerbaijan and Turkey to insure that the owner of gas has dominance over transportation. An agreement was signed that Azerbaijan should bear at least 50% of responsibility. This means that Azerbaijan will dominant in transportation. SOCAR’s share in TANAP is high. As for TAP, Azerbaijan has the same share. Because the gas owner’s intention to have dominance over the transport is natural”.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017Price of gasoline AI-95 and AI-98 increased in Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Volume of oil and gas transported via main pipelines announced
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan exports 38% of its gas reserves
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan reduces diesel production by 21%
- 16.11.2017SOCAR President: Works on SGC carried out on schedule
- 16.11.2017SOCAR: Petkim quintuples revenues
- 16.11.2017Transneft halts oil transportation from Azerbaijan due to earthquake
- 15.11.2017Three high-ranking officials of Energy Ministry dismissed
- 15.11.2017Ministry: Baku and Ankara implemented a project that Europe could not carry out for years
- 14.11.2017Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan increases revenues from gas export
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 27% growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 14.11.2017SOCAR Petroleum: Current break in sale of AI-98 gasoline to last for a month
- 13.11.2017OPEC member states decrease oil production
- 13.11.2017Working Group on improvement and finalization of 2016 EIT report holds meeting
- 13.11.2017SOCAR might buy oil refinery in Italy
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 7.2% decline in oil output
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol General Director reveals forecasts on gasoline price
- 13.11.2017Azpetrol comments on quality of fuel
- 13.11.2017General Director: Azpetrol already plans to install facilities designed for charging electric vehicles
- 13.11.2017BTC transported more than 344 million tonnes of oil so far
- 13.11.2017Volume of Azerbaijani oil transported through Ceyhan port announced
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Extension of ACG will bring tens of billions of dollars in additional investment
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Yeni Ganja” substation
- 10.11.2017Petkim pays $11M advance for construction of new administrative building
- 10.11.2017SOCAR transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget
- 10.11.2017Petkim announces investment incomes
- 10.11.2017Petkim doubles profit
- 10.11.2017Volume of transportations through TRACECA announced
- 10.11.2017SOCAR Trading to quit Calgary, move some functions to U.S.
- 08.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s financial situation is very stable
- 08.11.2017President: Azerbaijan’s investments abroad amount to billions of dollars
- 08.11.2017President: Results of ‘Contract of the Century’ aren’t measured by Oil Fund revenues only
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Shahdeniz will operate at least 100 years from now
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan submits data on September’s oil output to OPEC
- 08.11.2017President: Oil and gas sector will be the main field for development of Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Contract of the Century signed in 1994 gave a new breath and strength to us
- 08.11.2017Festive ceremony on production 2 billion tonnes of oil held in Baku - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of oil industry
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijan produces 700 million tonnes of oil since gaining independence
- 04.11.2017SOCAR: Oilman fallen into sea dies
- 06.11.2017SOCAR’s Tower cost $414M to build
- 06.11.2017Azerishig’s loss nears AZN 26M
- 02.11.2017Minister: Georgia supports Trans-Caspian gas pipeline project
- 02.11.2017TAP is 60 pct complete
- 01.11.2017SOCAR exports nearly 14 mln tonnes of crude oil through Ceyhan port