Disrespect to international law and double standards of PACE - ANALYSIS
The resolution has been prepared according to the report, prepared by co-rapporteurs in connection with the activity of democratic institutions in the run-up to the forthcoming parliamentary elections in autumn and the implementation of the recommendations adopted by the PACE in 2013 in Azerbaijan.
The resolutions reads that the Parliamentary Assembly recognizes the complexity of the geopolitical position of Azerbaijan and is trying to establish a balanced relationship with the EU, Turkey, Iran and other countries of the Caspian region, as well as with the US and Russia. Azerbaijan successes to conduct an independent and multi-vector foreign policy.
But, the event itself and the proposals for changing resolution was attracting attention.
First of all, the discussions of the resolution was initiated when Azerbaijan holds the European Games. Secondly, the amendment for changing the essentiality was proposed to the resolution on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
It is known that "hearing" on a variety of topics related to Azerbaijan were held in the run-up to and during the European Games. In the vast majority of these "hearings" the same persons voiced the same thesis. Resolutions, adopted on 11 June and 12 June at the European Parliament and at the German Bundestag accordingly are based on a similar thesis, being a continuation of the chronological resolution of the Council of Europe, entitled "The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan". We wrote about it extensively and in detail during the study of the famous "Plan Kerry" related to the European Games. And now - before the end of the Games are only days and all the steps of the famous plan that was previously exposed, were made. Slanderous campaign against Azerbaijan continues.
The main issue - the occupation
Despite the fact that in previous resolutions on Azerbaijan, the phrase " The Assembly is fully aware of the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh by Armenia and surrounding seven regions", was changed to "the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict ... ". The list of persons, who proposed these changes to the PACE Monitoring Committee, are remarkable: Peter Omtzigt, Mailis Reps, Bernard Pasquier, Andreas Gross, Rhön Ruke and Armenian MP Arpine Hovhannisyan. The presence on this list the names of Gross, Ruke, Omttsiga and Armenian Hovhaninisyan have not surprised at all. Andreas Gross in the first years after the accession of our country to the Council of Europe, is the co-rapporteur of the Monitoring Committee on Azerbaijan. It was in those years, defending mostly Armenian position, Gross differed for his islamaphobia.
The person who repeatedly visited Azerbaijan, is familiar with the situation, who saw with his own eyes the fact of occupation, met with victims of the occupation, makes such a proposal. So it is clear how he can be "objective" on other issues according to this fact. This is nothing than a dislike, not only with respect to the Azerbaijani government, but also to the country as a whole, and Azerbaijanis.
Name of another initiator Peter Omttsiga is also popular. He is known for anti-Muslim views against the muslim members of the ' Christian Democratic Appeal" party in the Netherlands, where Islamaphobia has strong position.”
Hand Rhön is known for his travel to the occupied Azerbaijani lands without permission of official Baku. He even became the object of ridicule of his French colleagues “for singing” in the choir of the Armenian Diaspora. And this group offers a resolution to remove the fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia and the proposal passes...
Despite the fact that the co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan Pedro Agramunt stressed that special attention should be given to one of the main principles - territorial integrity of the countries. A Polish co-rapporteur Tadeusz Iwinski, touching the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the occupation of 20% of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia, stressed the presence of 1 million refugees and internally displaced persons. "Whether we like it or not, we must note the fact of occupation," said T. Iwinski. In his speech Iwinski recalled the adoption of decision in the ECHR, confirming the fact of occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia.
Macedonian MP Alexander Nikoloski and Turkish MP Egemen Bagis touched the of occupation Azerbaijani territories by Armenia. Both deputies referring to the ECHR decision, noted that Armenia has complete control over the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
What kind of objectivity in the document can be noted, if the expression of the occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia is removed, the fact of Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan is questioned.
PACE strongly supports the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine. Freezing Russia’s rights to vote because of the annexation of the Crimea is a prime example of "double standards."
At the same time such a position is contrary to the resolutions of the UN Security Council and UN General Assembly, the documents adopted by the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, OSCE, PACE and the decision of the European Court of Human Rights on the case "Chiragov and others against Armenia" (a claim №13216 / 05) dated June 16, 2015.
On January 25, 2005, a resolution entitled "The conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh region dealt with by the OSCE Minsk Conference" # 1416 and a recommendation # 1690 were adopted at the winter session of the PACE. The Assembly declared that the occupation of foreign territory by any Member State constitutes a serious breach of the obligations of the State as a member of the Council of Europe, and confirm the right of displaced persons from the area of conflict to return safely to their homes.
The UN Security Council resolutions 822 (1993), 853 (1993), 874 (1993) and 884 (1993), confirm sovereignty, territorial integrity and internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and call for an immediate, unconditional withdrawal occupying Armenian forces from all occupied territories.
The decision adopted by the ECHR, confirms that Nagorno-Karabakh, Lachin region and the surrounding territories are under Armenia occupation.
After considering the facts, the Court confirmed that Armenia since the beginning of the Karabakh conflict is largely involved in it by military intervention, providing ammunition and military equipment, training and this military support was and remains decisive in the capture of these territories and the implementation of control over them and the facts clearly indicate a high degree of integration of armed forces of Armenia and "NKR".
PACE is not an organization with operations in a vacuum. The organization is obliged to take into account the significance of the documents adopted by the UN Security Council and other international institutions.
If PACE’s approach is limited by this, then this resolution is a piece of paper for Azerbaijan. Such a response of Azerbaijani government would be adequate in relation to the organization reflecting unfair position and double standards on territorial integrity of the country which is the priority issue of foreign policy.
And in the end: During yesterday's debate, former co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan Jose Debono Grech asked the question: "I can not understand one thing: The post-Soviet countries have experienced so many problems, but I always hear Azerbaijan’s name here. Why? Do we need chaos in Azerbaijan or stability? "
On this issue, deep silence reigns at the PACE...
Related news releases
- 08.12.2017USD operations decline 1.9-fold in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2017Decreasing production, increasing price: will the oil price stabilize? - ANALYSIS
- 15.04.2016Three obstacles that can thwart ‘Doha Plans’ - ANALYSIS
- 21.12.2015Does Azerbaijan need TAP? - ANALYSIS
- 20.02.2012Fishing grows by 24% in Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2011Bear kills hunter in central Russia
- 05.10.2011Russia offers compromise on UN resolution against Syria
- 02.08.2011Russia to reopen Magnitsky investigation - paper
- 12.11.2009Forbes lists the most powerfull people in thr world
- 12.05.2009Europe needs only one but reliable pipeline – ANALYTICS
- 09.09.2008Turkey’s effort to save from Western-Russian confrontation – ANALYSIS
- 07.07.2008Being rich is our right!
- 19.06.2008Azerbaijan’s banking sector at the stage of transformation
- 12.06.2008Gazprom in the energy security of Europe
- 11.06.2008Ticket to Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2008Flexible tariffs are necessary to increase the competitiveness of the TRACECA transport corridor
- 29.05.2008Card-to-card transfer as an alternative payment system in Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2008Azerbaijan exchange market is becoming a regional financial center
- 07.05.2008Azerbaijan-based banks begin to install ATMs with cash-in function
- 29.08.2007Insurance of deposits will increase people’s trust in bank system in Azerbaijan
- 15.08.2007Azerbaijan and Russia: Fight for gas market of Europe
- 09.08.2007Azerbaijan applies the most advanced deposit insurance system in the CIS region
- 09.08.2007Azerbaijan needs billions of private capital
- 06.08.2007Vneshtorgbank penetrating Azerbaijani market
- 02.07.2007Azerbaijan believes in prospects of Nabucco pipeline
- 28.06.2007Azerbaijan has to change foreign trade structure
- 20.06.2007Development of national payment system to boost cad business in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2007SOCAR consolidates its position to be an international company
- 24.04.2007Clothing stores offer sharp discount in Baku?
- 23.04.2007Azerbaijan’s healthcare in figures
- 19.04.2007Azerbaijan medicine market witnessed 25 percent price rise
- 27.06.2015Sargsyan, whose “Nagorno-Karabakh card” has already been beaten, faces popular uprising
- 01.09.2015USD fell, Euro rose in August in Azerbaijan - ANALYSIS
- 02.09.2015Current situation in Azerbaijan’s banking system: Is the consolidation of small banks a way out? - ANALYSIS
- 22.06.2015ECHR judgment: New stage in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement - ANALYSIS
- 07.04.2014Official Exchange Rates
- 16.11.2012Union of Azerbaijani Organizations in Russia – The “friends club” who don’t want to follow the fate of Khodorkovski - ANALYSIS