Fed holds interest rates steady
The U.S. Federal Reserve kept interest rates unchanged on Wednesday but said it anticipated inflation would rise this year, in a sign it is still on track to raise borrowing costs again in March under incoming central bank chief Jerome Powell, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Citing solid gains in employment, household spending and capital investment, the Fed said it expected the economy to expand at a moderate pace and the labor market to remain strong in 2018.
“Inflation on a 12-month basis is expected to move up this year and to stabilize” around the U.S. central bank’s 2 percent target over the medium term, it said in a statement following a two-day policy meeting, the last under Fed Chair Janet Yellen.
The Fed said on Wednesday its rate-setting committee had unanimously selected Powell to succeed Yellen, effective Feb. 3. Powell, a Fed governor who has worked closely with Yellen in recent years, was nominated by President Donald Trump and confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
Powell is not expected to dramatically change the policies embraced by Yellen, who spearheaded the move away from the near-zero interest rates adopted to nurse the economy back to health and spur job growth after the 2007-2009 recession.
In its policy statement on Wednesday, the Fed repeated that it expected that “further gradual” rate hikes will be warranted.
Fed policymakers have been encouraged in recent months as the U.S. economy picked up speed and the unemployment rate fell to 4.1 percent, a 17-year low.
The Fed raised rates three times last year and sees three more hikes in 2018 even as it continues to trim its balance sheet on a largely pre-set schedule. Investors, who had all but ruled out a move this week, are betting heavily on a rate increase in March, followed by two more hikes by the end of December.
Those forecasts will hinge on a continued pickup in inflation, which has lingered below the Fed’s target despite a strong job market.
In its statement, the Fed upgraded its description of the inflation outlook, noting that market-based measures of inflation have increased in recent months despite remaining low.
The statement did not address the likely impact of the Trump administration’s tax overhaul on economic growth.
Several Fed policymakers recently have said they expect the changes, which include an estimated $1.5 trillion in corporate and individual tax cuts, to provide an economic lift by boosting business and household spending.
The economy grew 2.3 percent in 2017.
U.S. stocks have soared to record highs in recent weeks as investors calculated that corporate profits would rise in the wake of the passage of Trump’s tax legislation.
There were no dissents in the Fed’s decision on Wednesday.
Related news releases
- 12.02.2018Amazon cutting hundreds of jobs: Seattle Times
- 08.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Senior Executive Vice President of Thales International
- 12.01.2018‘Mover’: No problem in goods delivery to Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan increases amount of funds for organizing export missions to foreign countries
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan will organize purchase missions for foreigners
- 29.12.2017Entrepreneurial activity divided into four subjects in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Agency on Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship established under Ministry of Economy
- 27.12.2017Caspian European Club compiles annual investment rating of economic regions of Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani billionaires buy one of Russia’s largest sports complexes
- 25.12.2017Excise on import of beers and alcoholic drinks increased in Azerbaijan
- 25.12.2017Excise on tobacco and tobacco products imported to Azerbaijan doubles
- 15.12.2017President: Facilities to put an end to dependence on import are launched in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani businessman sells Cherkizovo at $2B
- 12.12.2017Apple confirmed Monday it has acquired the music discovery app Shazam, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
- 07.12.2017President: 5,000 people illegally working in construction started to work on the basis of labour contracts within a few months
- 07.12.2017Azerkhalcha OJSC opens branch in Guba
- 04.12.2017Ministry: Fares paid by clients for taxi services are free of VAT
- 30.11.2017US Ambassador to Become Honorary Guest of CEO Lunch Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation of CISCO company - UPDATED
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates bread and flour plant in Agjabadi
- 21.11.2017Telman Ismayilov: I also have something to say
- 21.11.2017More than two hundred HR professionals benefit from Gilan Holding’s master class
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Grand Qafqaz” trade complex in Ganja
- 07.11.2017Broadcom bids $103 billion for Qualcomm, open to going hostile
- 06.11.2017Tekfen’s portfolio on Azerbaijan makes up $2.1B - ANALYSIS
- 03.11.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 31.10.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Azerbaijani investors actively participate in construction of new factories in Astrakhan
- 25.10.2017Second Baku Shopping Festival shows that first festival reached its goal - Turkish Ambassador
- 19.10.2017EBay reports 8.7 percent rise in quarterly revenue
- 16.10.2017US investments in Azerbaijan near $13 billion
- 16.10.2017US interested in expansion of trade with Azerbaijan – commercial service
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves Action Plan on prevention of informal employment
- 09.10.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-GCC business forum
- 09.10.2017President: Socio-political situation and economic development in Azerbaijan set an example for some countries
- 04.10.2017Gilan Holding to participate in 11th Azerbaijan International Career Exhibition
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 1M for organization of Baku Shopping Festival
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan imposes new punishments for earning incomes from illegal business
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan creating Credit Guarantee Fund
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Astara Chay LLC’s tea plantation in Lankaran
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendment to Law on Entrepreneurial activity
- 07.02.2018Company illegally operating in Nagorno Karabakh prevented from participating in exhibition in Russia
- 08.02.2018US crude production hits record, passing Saudi Arabia
- 31.01.2018Authority to be created for management of Alat free trade zone
- 22.01.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $880M in 2017
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% rise in consumption market in 2017