Activity directions of Agency for Development of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises of Azerbaijan announced - INTERVIEW
Upon the decree of Azerbaijani President dated December 28, 2017, the Agency for Development of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises under the Ministry of Economy was established. Minister of Economy Shahin Mustafayev’s interview with APA-Economics on activity directions of the Agency, and role in development of entrepreneurship:
- What was the reason for establishment of this agency?
- In accordance with the socio-economic development strategy pursued under the leadership of Azerbaijani president, measures for expansion of entrepreneurship and increase of role in economy, improvement of business and investment environment are regularly being continued. Reforms are underway in support of private sector, protection of rights and interests of entrepreneurs, mechanisms meeting modern challenges are applied for development of this field.
As a result of measures on state support to entrepreneurship, number of entrepreneurial subjects increased by 4.3-fold during past 15 years. Share of private sector exceeded 80% in GDP, 75% in employment.
Continuation of successes necessitates improvement of regulatory system of the entrepreneurship, expansion of technical, financial, legal and methodical support to entrepreneurship, especially small and medium-sized enterprises (SME), increase of quality and institutional approach in this field.
Taking into account abovementioned facts and targets provided in “The Strategic Roadmap for the production of consumer goods at the level of small and medium entrepreneurship" approved by Azerbaijani President’s decree dated December 6, 2016, the president signed a decree on ‘Improvement of management in small and medium-sized businesses’ on December 28, 2017. According to the decree, a public legal entity Agency for Development of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEDA) was established under the Ministry of Economy.
While preparing proposals in this field, progressive management experience applied in international practice in the field of development and regulation of entrepreneurship was researched.
- What are the main activity directions of the agency?
- The main duty of the Agency is to increase the role and significance, competitiveness of the small and medium-sized enterprises, support its development, provide services to them, coordination of activities of the state bodies and organizations in this field, prepare proposals on improvement of state regulatory system in small and medium-sized enterprises and use the international practice in the field of state support.
In accordance with the duties defined by the head of state, the Agency should provide assistance to the development of support infrastructure to the small and medium-sized enterprises, organize involvement of financial funds from local, foreign and international organizations, preparation and execution of purposed programmes.
One more activity direction of the agency is to provide access for small and medium-sized enterprises to the services of training, consultation, innovation, law, finance, as well as personnel and information-communication resources, support to marketing and sales, organize international communicative mechanisms such as project management, corporative management and etc., as well as services provided by state bodies and organizations in a single places – SME Houses, electronize state services provided to entrepreneurs.
Moreover, SMEDA will take measures on expansion of SMEs’ participation in state procurements, prepare proposals on protection of rights of small and medium-sized entrepreneurial subjects, involvement of local and foreign organizations in supporting of SMEs, improvement of normative legal base.
- What will give SMEDA’s activity to the small and medium-sized enterprises?
- Along with abovementioned activity directions of the agency, conduction of other services for SMEs, especially markets researches, establishment of contacts with scientific and research and education enterprises, and application of leading scientific-technological innovations, support to sales and provision of other services via SME houses will be effective for entrepreneurs.
Along with this, single information portal will be created for SME subjects to have access to legal and business knowledge, strengthening of business and partnership.
- What works are being done for organization of the Agency’s activity?
- Currently, organizational measures are being taken for SMEDA’s activity and works on formation of aerial normative legal base are underway.
Orkhan Mammadov, who has been worked at the Ministry of Economy for a long time, has been appointed as CEO of the Agency.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Russia increases by 32% in Q1
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan to produce small trucks jointly with Russia
- 06.04.2018Export on non-oil sector in two months amounts to $241.7M
- 15.03.2018Number and salary of workers in economy announced
- 15.03.2018Google bans cryptocurrency advertising, bitcoin price slumps
- 13.03.2018Minister: Iran to lease private hospital in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018US crude production hits record, passing Saudi Arabia
- 07.02.2018Company illegally operating in Nagorno Karabakh prevented from participating in exhibition in Russia
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendment to Law on Entrepreneurial activity
- 31.01.2018Fed holds interest rates steady
- 31.01.2018Authority to be created for management of Alat free trade zone
- 22.01.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $880M in 2017
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% rise in consumption market in 2017
- 12.01.2018‘Mover’: No problem in goods delivery to Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan increases amount of funds for organizing export missions to foreign countries
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan will organize purchase missions for foreigners
- 29.12.2017Entrepreneurial activity divided into four subjects in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Agency on Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship established under Ministry of Economy
- 27.12.2017Caspian European Club compiles annual investment rating of economic regions of Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani billionaires buy one of Russia’s largest sports complexes
- 25.12.2017Excise on import of beers and alcoholic drinks increased in Azerbaijan
- 25.12.2017Excise on tobacco and tobacco products imported to Azerbaijan doubles
- 15.12.2017President: Facilities to put an end to dependence on import are launched in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani businessman sells Cherkizovo at $2B
- 12.12.2017Apple confirmed Monday it has acquired the music discovery app Shazam, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
- 07.12.2017President: 5,000 people illegally working in construction started to work on the basis of labour contracts within a few months
- 07.12.2017Azerkhalcha OJSC opens branch in Guba
- 04.12.2017Ministry: Fares paid by clients for taxi services are free of VAT
- 30.11.2017US Ambassador to Become Honorary Guest of CEO Lunch Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation of CISCO company - UPDATED
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates bread and flour plant in Agjabadi
- 21.11.2017Telman Ismayilov: I also have something to say
- 21.11.2017More than two hundred HR professionals benefit from Gilan Holding’s master class
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Grand Qafqaz” trade complex in Ganja
- 07.11.2017Broadcom bids $103 billion for Qualcomm, open to going hostile
- 06.11.2017Tekfen’s portfolio on Azerbaijan makes up $2.1B - ANALYSIS
- 03.11.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 31.10.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Azerbaijani investors actively participate in construction of new factories in Astrakhan
- 25.10.2017Second Baku Shopping Festival shows that first festival reached its goal - Turkish Ambassador
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani Central Bank announces manat's average rate
- 12.03.2018Registration for CEO Lunch Baku ongoing
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan to host international food industry exhibition
- 27.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Our main goal is to increase non-oil export
- 12.02.2018Amazon cutting hundreds of jobs: Seattle Times
- 08.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Senior Executive Vice President of Thales International