Vital role of Azerbaijani oil in WWII victory highlighted in Los Angeles
Baku - APA. The documentary film “Objective Baku: How Hitler lost the battle for oil” was screened in Los Angeles on May 15, 2016. The film highlights the strategic role of the Azerbaijani oil in achieving the victory over the Nazi Germany.
The screening of the film was co-hosted by the ‘Save a Heart Foundation’ and Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles.
The film was produced with the support of Azerbaijan’s Heydar Aliyev Foundation, and aired in May 2015 by the National Geographic channel in 26 countries. Produced by Arzu Aliyeva, the film speaks about Hitler’s plans to invade Baku (Azerbaijan), which was then providing 80% of oil for the Soviet Union. Thus, four out of five Soviet aircrafts, tanks and trucks used in the course of the Second World War ran on fuel produced in Baku.
Greeting the guests, the famous cardiologist Dr. Yzhar Charuzi of the ‘Save a Heart Foundation’, stressed the importance of the documentary for highlighting the aspects of the World War II, which are still generally unknown. He congratulated the film producers with an excellent job bringing these historic facts to the public at large.
Speaking afterwards, Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev elaborated on the film and its great role in educating younger generations about the tragedies of the World War II. Mentioning the enormous sacrifices made by the Azerbaijani people both in the battlefield and home front, the Consul General noted that out of 700,000 Azerbaijanis conscripted to the front around 400,000 perished fighting against the Nazis. He said that this loss, which constituted around 10% of Azerbaijan’s total population then, was almost equal to the loss of the United States in the same war. Stressing the strategic importance of the petrol extracted by tireless Azerbaijani oil workers, Nasimi Aghayev said that without the energy supplies from Azerbaijan, the Soviet Army would have been unable to defeat the Nazi Germany and the whole course of the World War II could have been quite different.
Then the film was screened, which was received with much applause. Following the successful screening, Consul General Aghayev responded to questions from the audience.
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 09.03.2017European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 26.10.2016‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 31.08.2016Azerbaijani composer Ogtay Zulfugarov dies aged 88
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijani composer to give concert in Paris
- 19.08.2016French magazine publishes articles on Azerbaijani jazz
- 26.07.2016Azerbaijani classical music discussed in Los Angeles
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani spirit comes to two leading London jazz clubs
- 04.03.2016Statue of Maestro Niyazi to be raised in Baku
- 29.02.2016Exhibition titled ‘Shah Ismail I – commander and king’ to be held in Azerbaijan
- 25.02.2016Azerbaijani people's artist Ilhama Guliyeva dies
- 18.02.2016Play “Red Angel in Khojaly” on Khojaly genocide to be premiered in Baku
- 08.02.2016World premiere of Firangiz Alizadeh’s work held in San Francisco
- 04.02.2016Khojaly massacre documentary ‘Endless Corridor’ wins Humanitarian Award from Global Film Awards
- 04.02.2016Pierre Richard: When people ask me about Baku, my thoughts always go back to friendly people I met there
- 29.01.2016US hosts premiere of film "Ali and Nino"
- 06.01.2016New director of Azerbaijan Academic National Drama Theatre named
- 09.12.2015Endless Corridor film to be broadcast on Eurochannel
- 24.11.2015Turkish Film is winner of this year's LUX Film Prize
- 20.11.2015Honored artist of Azerbaijan to open exhibition in New York
- 18.11.2015Azerbaijani artist receives Mozart medal
- 17.10.2015Seoul hosts opening of Azerbaijan Film Festival - PHOTOSESSION
- 19.09.2015Uzeyir Hajibeyli’s contributions recognized at U.S. Congress
- 17.09.2015Postage stamps dedicated to Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyli and singer Rashid Behbudov issued in U.S.
- 03.09.2015September 18 proclaimed "Uzeyir Hajibeyli Memorial Day" in Santa Monica City of California
- 09.06.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host George Condo’s exhibition
- 17.06.2016Exhibition of famous artist George Condo opens at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 30.06.2016Baku hosts photo exhibition depicting life of national minorities
- 27.04.2016Films on Azerbaijan produced in Los Angeles
- 12.04.2016Pascal Contet and Travelling Quartet to perform at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 07.03.2016Vidadi Muradov awarded Shohrat Order